Different tone? small vs large nugget

Does a tiny nugget make a different tone than a 1/4 ounce nugget?

I bought a used sd2200d. It came with a very tiny test nugget. Less than 1 gram I am sure.

The sd2200 will not pick it up or I can't here it pick it up.

I am tone deaf to certain pitches in both ears like high pitched womens voices.

I threw a $5.00 gold piece on the ground (apprx. 1/4 oz) and it about blew my head off. I had to turn the volume down on my head set.

So does a tiny nuget cause the sd2200 to emit a different pitch tone or just a softer tone that I am not hearing because of hearing problems? I am to be fitted for two hearing aids on the 17th.

I am very confused. I am about to leave for Arizona, but I don't want to waste the trip if the detector

has a problem and needs to be sent minelab for a tune up/repair.

The Minelab PI's respond much more loudly to big targets than small ones. Distance makes a big difference too. Up close to the machine, it will sound off real loud on the 1/4 ouncer, but if you get it far enough away from the coil, it will be a weak, quiet sound also. Coil selection and settings make a difference too.

In town around your house with all kinds of electrical interference from your house electricity, your PI wont function right, and the responses it makes will not reflect its normal function in the gold fields. This is true for my GP Extreme also. You have to get it out away from power lines to see how it will function normally.

I can say for sure that being able to hear faint sounds is important in detecting for gold, and if you cant hear the faint sounds, you are in trouble. Occaisionally, you will get a loud nugget near the surface, but more normally trash is loud and near the surface, and gold is faint and down a ways.

How much does the test nugget actually weigh? (it makes a difference)

Chris

I FOUND 2 NUGGETS TODAY ONE WAS 1.7 DWT THE OTHER WAS .3 GRAMS WITH THE SD2200 AND 11'' MONO.THE BIGGER NUGGET WAS AT 6'' I HEARD IT NO PROBLEM THE SMALLER ONE WAS AT 2 TO 3'' I BARELY HEARD IT.

• Admin

Hello Bill & Diana,

Yes, a smaller nugget will have a much lower tone than a larger nugget. The best suggestion on a SD is to run in "Sensitive" if you're searching for smaller nuggets, or smaller nuggets at depth. The SD2200 don't have the boosted audio like the GP series or GPX-4000, so you might strongly consider a booster/amp. Also, if you're looking to add a bit of performance, you might also consider the Coiltek Pocket Rocket Li-Ion System. This system will run your SD at 7.3 volts rather than the stock 6 volts. The added voltage will increase the electromagnetic field and give you a bit more performance besides a much lighter battery system.

A good pair of headphones will also help.

Take care,

Rob Allison