GPX 4000 glitches

I recently replaced my GP Extreme with the GPX 4000 and found it less sensitive than my Extreme on the 'identical' gold target. The comparisons were conducted on the same ground, with both machines using the stock factory 11" D/D coils.

I tried various settings and even switched the coils in case my new stock coil was defective.

A friend brought his new GPX 4000 over and his machine would barely pickup the same gold target.

Spoke with an out of state beeper friend, who advised me that a friend of his also had the same problem.

I Know when the GP Extreme's first came out, there were problems with some and mine was one of those. After being repaired at the Minelab hospital, it worked fantastic.

I shipped mine off for repair last week and was curious if any of you on the forum have had any problems ?

Chuck T.

Chuck,

you said;

"...was curious if any of you on the forum have had any problems ? "

Happily no.

Once I learned how to tune the 4000 for the

mineralization and the atmospheric's etc...

it has been a joy to use.

(not implying in any way that is what is going on with you,

but it took me some time to figure out.)

I hope your problem is resolved to your satisfaction.

Would you please update us on what it was...?

Thanks and good hunting,

Flak

I recently replaced my GP Extreme with the GPX 4000 and found it less sensitive than my Extreme on the 'identical' gold target. The comparisons were conducted on the same ground, with both machines using the stock factory 11" D/D coils.

I tried various settings and even switched the coils in case my new stock coil was defective.

A friend brought his new GPX 4000 over and his machine would barely pickup the same gold target.

Spoke with an out of state beeper friend, who advised me that a friend of his also had the same problem.

I Know when the GP Extreme's first came out, there were problems with some and mine was one of those. After being repaired at the Minelab hospital, it worked fantastic.

I shipped mine off for repair last week and was curious if any of you on the forum have had any problems ?

Chuck T.

Hi Flak,

Anytime new technology like the GPX 4000 comes out , it's likely there will be some problems.

Since joining the Nugget Hunters forum a few months ago, I've made some really great friends and had the opportunity to learn from folks like you who are willing to share your experience.

When I bought my GP Extreme 3-4 years ago, it was very unstable. Not belonging to a 'forum' or having another machine to compare it with, I figured the problem was operator related.

It wasn't until 'much' later that I discovered there were circuitry problems with some of the new GP units and finally sent it in for repair.

Minelab techs did a great job in fixing it, replaced 3-4 ea. diodes & transistors, after that operation was a snap and it worked flawlessly.

Before sending my new 4000 in, I and a friend who also owns a 4000 did comparitive testing, I also contacted Minelab techs to make sure I hadn't dropped the settings ball somewhere.

Being a Forum member is a terrific benefit and will share the repair results with you guys.

Thanks,

Chuck T.

Hi Chuck,

Glad you're a member of the forums,

it is a primary source of information

(along with direct experience in the field),

about questions that arise regarding prospecting

in general and the 4000 specificlly.

I hope your problems are resolved quickly

and that you are able to get out and use it

to your satisfaction.

All the best,

Flak

• Admin

Hello Chuck,

I haven't heard about any problems due to "unsensitive" GPX-4000's. There has been a few GPX-4000's that shut down, but that was due to a loose wiring problem that was easily fixed by Minelab USA, Inc.

The GPX-4000 should be way more sensitive than the GP Extreme, and at least just as sensitive at the bare minimum.

I'm sure you have contacted Minelab USA, Inc. about this issue. If there is a problem they will be able to get it resolved ASAP. Talk with Dick Shultz if you get a chance.

Please keep us updated,

Rob Allison

Hello Chuck,

I haven't heard about any problems due to "unsensitive" GPX-4000's. There has been a few GPX-4000's that shut down, but that was due to a loose wiring problem that was easily fixed by Minelab USA, Inc.

The GPX-4000 should be way more sensitive than the GP Extreme, and at least just as sensitive at the bare minimum.

I'm sure you have contacted Minelab USA, Inc. about this issue. If there is a problem they will be able to get it resolved ASAP. Talk with Dick Shultz if you get a chance.

Please keep us updated,

Rob Allison

Hi Rob,

I'm confident when Minelab techs get my 4000 repaired, it will perform just fine. It was unstable and acting much like my Gp Extreme, before M/L techs replaced some diodes and transistors.

This problem is obviously not to widespread or we previous M/L owners of 3000s or 3500 would be contacting the forum.

Really helped to have the Extreme and a friend's 4000 to compare performance with, otherwise how much wasted time would I have spent in the field ?

This kind of stuff is not that bad to deal with, when you have beeper buddies with similar machines.

When my Extreme was sick I was not so fortunate and wasted lots of swing-time & energy.

When my new machine comes back, I'm sure it will perform at least as good as my old one and hopefully better.

Will call minelab after the Memorial Day weekend and see if they've had time to check it out.

Thanks,

Chuck