Platinum Discovery

Ryan, I am not asking where your spot is, but what part of the world did you find 15 pieces of placer platinum? I have seen some nice platinum from northern Cal...if it is platinum you found it sounds like bonanza! Take it to any place that will buy placer gold and they will likely help you...there are several metals in the platinum group and the value varies with the type...you may need to have an assay done for your own interest! CaptGrumpy, you must be part Spanish, they just threw the platinum back or used it to conterfit gold coins....so I have read.

Fred

Platinum is tough to determine if it is really platinum, either in jewelry or natural. It is not found in very large quantities - ever. It melts much hotter than gold, that is one big difference between platinum and white gold. Platinum won't react to a magnet, or almost all acids (especially Nitric acid). But so will a lot of other, less valuable metals - like gold or even lead. I once ran across a box of dental metal that I hoped was platinum, at least a little bit of it in the alloy.. It turned out it was LEAD! It was very soft, but so shiny, not oxidized. I had forgotten that lead will make a dark line on a piece of paper when you drag it on the paper. Bullets sure can look like sharp little nuggets. I always remember that lead will make a dark line on a piece of white paper now.. :D

First thing, drag each piece over a piece of white paper, if it leaves a mark it is most likely lead( as in bullets)...an assay is done by a certified lab to determine the nature and amount of minerals in a quanity of matrix...or to test the purity of metallic objects such as gold or platinum nuggets...is the geologist prone to pranks?

Fred

• 8 months later...