I've got the FEVER!!

I've got gold fever!! I don't even know anything about prospecting, other than what I have read up on the internet. I have never even been out, but all I think about is getting out. Better be careful Chuck, when we get out there, if I find gold, I'll quit my job and move into the mountains for good, lol. Man, I wished I lived out west, I'd be out every day. But I live East, so no luck there.

blues dad

It's a old saying don't leave gold to go find gold.You have gold in alot of East Coast States.I think if you don't get out soon and find some gold you may have to go to your DR. to take some gold shots to ease the pain.

What you need to do is order some of that dirt that is for sale in GPAA and other mags then get a gold pan.I sure some of the people that have some of those prospecting shops that I sent you can show you how to pan.

The man before my reply, Chris is got all the knowledge and others like him are more than willing to help.

Chuck Anders

I hope that guy gets a hold of you he has a lot of info on his website places you can go where theres gold, and start sampling those areas you talked about close by you, setup an area at home or out at the site you think theres gold and fill a few buckets, get a sluice setup and panning trough and start working it

you know thats not a bad idea Chuck. I have seen those bags for sale on ebay and such. I always thought it would be a scam, because they can pick out what they want and sell you the junk dirt. Would it be worth it to buy a few of those bags?

Chris, I'm up in Michigan. I know there are a couple old gold mines up north here, but idk, i guess I'm kinda greedy, and i was under the impression that you can find more gold out west, but sure i suppose i could start out here doing some things, that way i'm not useless to chuck this summer.

blues dad

Don't go out and try to corner the market buying alot of dirt because all you need is something to play with.

Chuck Anders

lol, nahh Chuck, I would never <_< buy that much dirt. Just doing it so I can get some practice in, and maybe find a little gold to tide me over. There are a few eastern states who have had gold rushes before the cali rush, and come spring time, if i'm ever in a known placer area, I'll get my truck as close as i can, and hike in for a few hours. but nothing beats working alongside someone who has experience, and so far, i haven't found any of you guys who live out this way :lol: Even if I did find someone out here, it would still be nice to get out there with you and your crew this summer for a week or so.

blues dad

I myself like going to AZ,CA and I've been to Alaska two times.I'd like to go back to Alaska and spend the summer but I need to go with somebody I can out run.The reason is if a bear gets after us I can out run my ex friend. :rolleyes:

Follow your dreams because we only pass this way but one time.

Chuck Anders

If you want to practice panning without fear of losing any gold...get some snake-shot from a 22 caliber snake-load...count the pellets...then dump them in a bucket of dirt and mix...pan out to blacksand and heavies...count the little lead pellets...do it again until you don't lose any...btw, pan into a wash-tub so you can recover the wash-out.

Fred

that's a good idea fred, but i don't think i could get excited by finding snake shot :P . way i look at it, it's only $25 or whatever a bag, not hurting the pocketbook any, and i WILL get excited when i find the gold, since the guarantee gold in every bag. but ya, definitely will do it over a tub, cause i know i'll lose some for a bit til i get the hang of it. looks like i need to find a panning video now

In Michigan there are some places where you can find some large copper nuggets, also valuable. There is even a place you can pay to dig. You will probably make more money doing that over there than looking for gold, but if you travel to the right states you will find gold as well.

blues dad

Write this on your truck door so you'll see all the time and remember. In Dayton OH. OCT. 18-19 GPAA will have a gold show at 1043 South Main St. in the Coliseum Building.

I know it's a long ways off but that the way life is.We have a gold show here in Belton TX. March 1-2 and it's put on by GPAA also.I don't know if you make a truck run down this way but if you do let me know and I'll help you out in any way that I can.

B_D if you like to eat don't quit your job just yet and go full time prospecting.

Chuck Anders

blues dad

Fred gave you the best advice on learning how to pan gold.When you pan gold it's all about keeping the gold and getting rid of the dirt out of the pan.When you can keep all of the lead shot then you know you are the man in panning.

Also pan like he said pan into another pan are tub.

Chuck Anders

Blues Dad why don't you just pack it up and move out this way. I mean no wife no bills no hold ups right. Are you an independant or do you work for someone. I have contact with about 40 vendors that all drive semi's.I'm the warehouse manager for Yosemite concessions. California has a lot of work still. Sounds like you found something your excited about. If you can make a living out here you should do it man.

ya fred, you're right, i'll give that a try also. no sense panning gold if i'm losing half what i pan right?

rock, i'm not an indy, unfortunately i'm a company man. i figure what i'll do is spend the next year studying as much as i can, get out with chuck and some other guys, learn as much as i can from them, then jump into it with both feet when i feel confident in my own abilities to give it a go. even though i have no commiments here, i do have relatives here who would think i have gone off the deep end if i do something like this half willy nilly, lol.

You might want to go to "you tube" and do a search for gold panning or prospecting. It's been a while but they had several decent "how to "videos on panning and sluiceing. When you get your bag of dirt remember the way it looks and then go to any creek and dig a shovel full of gravel and compare. You will soon decide to get or build a classifier as the different sizes of rocks make panning much harder..... good time for the snake shot to be mixed in. Or throw some of the gold from the bag in and find it over and over. Practise is everything in panning. Enjoy, Ken

hey thanx a lot for the tip ken. I just spent the last few hours watching videos of sluices, longtoms, dredges, spiral wheels, blue bowls, panning, etc. A couple questions for anyone to answer would be great.

1. What is the most cost effective and most practical process for someone just starting out to process the most material possible for a 1 man operation? (In addition to panning).

2. A lot of the videos i saw didn't really explain the steps, most just showed the apparatuses in operation. Does the material need to be classified first before running it through a sluice, longtom, wheel, bowls?

3. What is the best time of year to get out and get started. One video i saw mentioned a season of sorts so salmon would have fresh gravel to spawn on or something along those lines.

i would have to say sluicing is probably my favorite. i could spend all day in a creek with nothing more than a sluice box a shovel and a gold pan and be plenty happy. you can run alot of material in a day and the whole set up would only cost you about a little over a hundred bucks, you still need to be a pretty good gold panner. i would suggest staying away from all of the complicated machines right now like the roto pans the spiral wheels and so on, keep it simple it will be a whole lot more enjoyable always remember the fun is in the finding of the gold. i can run all day on a creek and still get excited when i end up with only a few flakes it also helps alot when you go out with a buddy, i dont think i would have half as much fun if i didnt have the prospecting buddy that i have.. good luck and enjoy hope you find lots of that wonderful yeller stuff. :D

When you pan the dirt you buy, be sure to use a safety pan under the pan with the gold in it to catch what you miss so that you can re pan. Save all the black sand left over. There is micro gold in it. At a later time you can learn how to recover that fine gold. If your in the field and running a lot of material thru a sluice box, then classifying is not as important. I classify using one of the 3/8" screens before running material into my high banker when out in the field. I usually bring home a bunch of buckets of material to run when I get the gold itch and can't get away from home. I classify this material down quite small before running it. Be sure to check the larger stuff for nuggets and pickers. You will recover more fine gold if you classify first. Sounds like you got bit hard, there is no recovery from gold fever. Hopefully you can plan some time away to get to some of the good gold producing areas in Arizona, Kalifornia etc. Join GPAA, they have some property in the east which might be closer to where you are.

Good luck and have fun. Even if you find little or no gold on an outing it still beats the heck out of sitting on the couch watching TV. The fresh air and anticipation are good for the body and mind.

Best regards, John K