one little thing to remeber on the next minelab gp

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He forgets that a large part of the price tag pays for all the hours of R&D that went into the creation of these devices. Actual cost of the goods is a minor part!

Hi kamikaze,

Take a peek at the following link and the figures showing a comparison between a modded SD2000 and a GP3000.

http://www.minelabmods.com/joomla/index.ph...mp;id=1738#1738

Count up the years and the number of models in between and tell me just how many dollars did they spend on R&D when a few cheap components changed can make so much difference.

The drip feed in technology is no myth !

regards

bugwhiskers

Minelab is in business to make MONEY, if they dont make money you will not have the 4000 or 4500 to find gold at depth with. Rob is in business to make money to feed his family. I am a business owner also, its not easy.Between insurance, equipment, utilities and everything else there is not much profit. If they are asking 5000.00 for a detector, its because they figured out how many they need to sell and at how much to PROFIT! At the top of this page it says Nuggethunting forum, this is where we talk about nugget hunting not who is making what kind of money and where. Oakwood please go back to High Desert Gold and stay there.

We are here to talk about gold and have fun.

Cooter

bugwhiskers -

Allow me to point out the serious errors in your post –

First, there have been many discussions of SD series detectors vs the GP series. It’s been going on for many years. The general conclusions of these discussions is that while the GP series is not a big improvement over the SD in the ability to see big nuggets under normal circumstances, the GPs do represent a big improvement in the ability to see small nuggets.

Why in this comparison test is the smallest target a 20C Australian coin? That target is probably equivalent to a gold nugget of close to half an ounce. The aluminum block would be more like a large multi ounce nugget. These are the types of targets you would EXPECT to see very little difference between an un-modded SD and a GP3000. Actually reading that testing pointed me to ask what, if any, improvement the “mods†in question accomplished. I want to see the results of testing with a half gram gold nugget and see what the differences are with a small target. I think the tester and the forum admins over there would be afraid to show those results.

Finally, what a surprise to see that on a forum run by a person who does SD2000 mods for money, that data is presented that which misleadingly implies that a modded 2000 and a GP3000 are equals. You like to point out bias – how come you ignored that one?

I have never seen even the slightest evidence of the "drip feed" conspiracies you are talking about.

Chris

Hi Chris,

Well, here is what has been going on. Bruce Candy actually knows nothing about detectors. However, sometime in the future Minelab will create a time machine.

They sent a GPX-1000 back from the future to 1990. Bruce reverse engineered the unit and dumbed it down as much as possible. Every feature was reduced or removed until nothing more could go or the unit would not work at all. The unit was also made heavier and less power efficient. It was released as the SD 2000.

Since then, Minelab has carefully been drip-feeding us in a way diabolically designed to steal our money. They are slowing adding back all the features that they removed from the original unit. They also employ devious methods that in effect force us to buy their detectors. Our free will has been eliminated.

It is a vast conspiracy, involving Minelab, the Australian government, and dealers like me and Rob. We all bow to certain high evil lords of the organization like Jonathan Porter.

It is likely that having revealed this, I will never be heard from again. bugwhiskers is wise to hide his identity from these evil forces, but as it is known who I am, I will most certainly be silenced.

Or worse.

Steve Herschbach

P.S. bugwhiskers, I'm still wondering what detector you use and what detector that is currently on the market you would recommend people use to prospect for gold.

One who has too much time on his hands to do nothing but badmouth companies who help us with better detector technology and then rag on dealers like Rob, Steve and others has too much time on his hands and would better put his hands to use by picking his nose til his forehead caves in. enuf said. Jerry

bugwhiskers -

First, there have been many discussions of SD series detectors vs the GP series. It’s been going on for many years. The general conclusions of these discussions is that while the GP series is not a big improvement over the SD in the ability to see big nuggets under normal circumstances, the GPs do represent a big improvement in the ability to see small nuggets.

Why in this comparison test is the smallest target a 20C Australian coin? That target is probably equivalent to a gold nugget of close to half an ounce. The aluminum block would be more like a large multi ounce nugget. These are the types of targets you would EXPECT to see very little difference between an un-modded SD and a GP3000. Actually reading that testing pointed me to ask what, if any, improvement the “mods†in question accomplished. I want to see the results of testing with a half gram gold nugget and see what the differences are with a small target. I think the tester and the forum admins over there would be afraid to show those results.

Finally, what a surprise to see that on a forum run by a person who does SD2000 mods for money, that data is presented that which misleadingly implies that a modded 2000 and a GP3000 are equals. You like to point out bias – how come you ignored that one?

I have never seen even the slightest evidence of the "drip feed" conspiracies you are talking about.

Chris

Hi Chris,

I'll ask GaryQ if he can do some similar testing with small nuggets.

regards

bugwhiskers

bugwhiskers -

Chris

Hi Chris,

Just to scotch your own conspiracy theory the following link will show he actually tried to post the info elsewhere.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ProspectinginOz/message/8140

regards

bugwhiskers

One who has too much time on his hands to do nothing but badmouth companies who help us with better detector technology and then rag on dealers like Rob, Steve and others has too much time on his hands and would better put his hands to use by picking his nose til his forehead caves in. enuf said. Jerry

Hi pondmn,

I have stated previously my motives for posting here, perhaps you could tell us your motives for this post.

regards

bugwhiskers

Hi bugwhiskers,

Since you refuse to reveal who you are, we have no way of knowing your motives. For all we know you work for a competing brand. You could say you do not, but why should we believe you?

I'm still wondering what detector you use and what detector that is currently on the market you would recommend people use to prospect for gold.

Steve Herschbach

They sent a GPX-1000 back from the future to 1990. Bruce reverse engineered the unit and dumbed it down as much as possible. Every feature was reduced or removed until nothing more could go or the unit would not work at all. The unit was also made heavier and less power efficient. It was released as the SD 2000.

Thanks for letting me know on that one Steve.

I had always heard that the GPX-10000 was based on science that was reverse engineered from stuff taken out of the wreckage of the Roswell alien space craft crash in New Mexico. While we in the US kept most of the good wreckage material for ourselves, we did share some stuff with our friends and allies like Australia.

All hail Darth Minelab!

Chris

Guest goldstudmuffin

Chris

Chris, why are you still using a 8 year old GP Extreme? Just curious.

Chris, why are you still using a 8 year old GP Extreme? Just curious.

Purely financial issues. Between having trying to save for retirement, having two kids in college, etc. its hard to put away the money. I also hate to sell my gold.

I am intending to purchase a 4500 sometime this summer, but I am also intending to publish a book, so we will see how the money works out.

Chris

• Admin

Hello Chris,

I know what you mean. It's tough to justify and spend $5,000 for a new metal detector. I don't know how many customers and friends that would love to have the latest and greatest GPX-4000 or GPX-4500, but just can't do it. Many of them have Minelab SD's and GP's, but not the newest GPX.

I know if I wasn't a dealer it would be tough to justify $4,000 - $5,000 every couple of years.

To date, I've found my biggest and best gold with the GP Extreme. I believe the reason was the GP Extreme was the first GP series and I was able to hit all those old VLF and SD patches quickly with the new Extreme.

Take care,

Rob Allison

Guest goldstudmuffin

Chris, I doubt you've missed any gold by using an older detector, that's awesome you are helping the kids through college. Good luck with your book!

Russ

Its hard to sit and watch, brands and detectors being bashed, I have owned just about one or two of every brand out there now or made, for what they were and when they were, they did the job. Its like talking cars, some people like Fords, some Chev. and some would rather spend the money and buy a Rolls. the piont is they are all cars, get you to the same place. And so do detectors. Just remember the operator is 99% of the detectors ability. I've always thought that and still do! Grubstake

That is so true Gary, good point! I guess its just the nature of the beast. Its like how fast do you want to go 0-60? Well it depends on how much money you want to spend. The same with detectors. You cant have the flagship for economy prices. Do you want cloth or leather seating on your Minelab 10000????

Cooter

Hi Guys,

Well, they all work. I've still got my SD2200v2. I've got this theory that all detectors miss certain nuggets that other detectors might hit. The SD and GPX units are totally different beasts. If a bunch of guys all used GPX units to clean out a good spot, I'd go over it with my SD just to see if maybe there is a nugget that the GPX units, all being the same machine, missed.

Steve's Theory of Contrarian Detecting - if what everyone Else is doing no longer works, do something different.

I have had a great opportunity at Moore Creek to watch people detect. the biggest eye-opener was in how little difference having a good detector makes. Two guys, both using the same Minelab, one finds gold every day, the other is lucky to find any gold in the week.

Conversely, there were people using the best Minelabs who could find no gold, while I'm getting nugget just banging around with an admittedly less powerful VLF unit.

10% of the visitors to Moore Creek find 90% of the gold. Except for a lucky novice now and then, the pros find the gold and the newbies do not. Plain and simple. The difference experience make is absolutely astounding when you get to see it like I do.

In my opinion it boils down to one major factor. Being engaged. Certain people can use a detector for hours on end and be involved with what they are doing. Most people really are not into detecting, they are trying to find gold. There is a difference. Many of those people find detecting to be inherently boring but are making themselves do it to find gold. Their attention wanders and they really are not paying attention to what the machine is telling them. I swear they have to be walking right over nuggets and not hearing them. Their minds are somewhere else.

You can tell because they get a kind of glazed look and the coil is swinging listlessly, often quite a way off the ground.

Then you watch the pros. They are really working the machines and the targets. Now even the pros run hot or cold, but overall they are very consistent compared to the novices, who basically just get lucky now and then.

I think for a lot of our visitors the only time the whole year they might be detecting is the week they visit the mine. And unfortunately I figure it takes about a solid week of detecting to learn how to run a detector. They have almost got it figured out when they leave.

Steve Herschbach

Well I have done it all, started out with just a gold pan and a few cervice tools, got a dredge, then a bigger dredge, took 20 oz's out of the Merced river by myself one summer only working the dredge on Mondays and Tuesdays, because that was my days off. Then I strarted detecting mostly coins, then went to water hunting, I did very good at that, with a Whites PI, garrett and then to a minelab excallibur, I still have a soverine and I can find gold with it. Its just not as small and takes more patience. I've used Tessoro's and fishers, and made my first detector in shop clas in high school, a heath kit. All and all detecting has been good to me, great friends, lots of gold and rings, and coins. Learning your detector is #1. make your detector an extention of your mind and body. Clean your mind and go find some gold, and get close to god, in gods country. Grubstake Doesn't matter what detector you choose, it will be fun and a learning thing.

Hi Grubstake,

Sorry to hear about your health issues. Did you ever get your gear sold? That was a pile of gear at a great price, but the reason behind it sucks.

You are spot on. Just give me a Tesoro Lobo and I could do all the detecting I'd ever want to do. I'd find not only gold but coins and jewelry and relics. But the main thing is I will be having fun . Detecting is like a form of meditation. I just like running a detector. I can dig aluminum trash for an hour and call it time well spent.

When it comes down to it there is no need to buy the latest and greatest. You just have to take what you've got and get serious about using it. What is Russ using these days? An SD2100? Great unit, finds gold, and you won't hear me saying anything made since hits a big nugget deeper. I know the new units are better on small gold, but I do not know about the big stuff. I did dig a 1 oz nugget at Moore Creek with my GPX-4000 that I'm not sure my SD2100v2 would have hit, but I've not had the chance to use both on real found targets and so I just do not know.

I have to confess my success with detectors has been far more about being first over the target than having the best unit or being super good with a detector. I found lots of gold with a Garrett Infinium and Minelab groupies rightly pointed out that much of it could have been found with any detector. So true, but the point is I got over the gold first and the Infinium found it. The only time these issues about depth and such get really critical is when you are hunting a pounded patch for the umpteenth time. But if that is the case sometimes a rake is a far more cost effective solution than the latest super detector. Just rake the junk off the surface to get closer to the gold and whatever you have will work.

Rakes are nice but I recommend a bulldozer.

Happy Easter!!!

Steve Herschbach

Your riight steve, with me its about getting out, having fun, I like to get gold just as much as anyone else, but the fun is just getting out. Yes I got my stuff gone, got me a cheaper car on gas instead of my Ford ranger 4x4, I hate to part with it, but its going to a good home. Life is rough sometimes, and you have to adapt to different things as they come by. But I'm a surviver, and I'll do what it takes. Right now the main thing in my life is my wife and her heath, and mine. Diabeates is going to make my wife go blind or worese if its not handled quick. So for now that my main focus. Your nothing without your heath. But we will make it through this me and her together. Grubstake

Guest goldstudmuffin

Steve, as you know Alaska is awesome in the summer time, I have a Sister that lives in Anchorage and about 1992 I did a pay to hunt at the Crow Creek Mine, that was one of my first adventure using a metal detector and my first and only time I've been in Alaska. I didn't find any gold that day but I found a new hobby that I really love. I started with a whites 4900, never found any gold with it, and then I bought a Goldmaster and found my first nugget and several more using the GM II, that was in about 1993. I bought a SD 2100 in 1995-96 and have been finding nuggets ever since. I tried a 2200 and a 3000 for a while and after installing a adjustable voltage regulator from Ishmael that went from 6V to 8.5V on the 2100 I discovered it increased sensitivity, and depth, and ruduced electrical interference and I could even run mono's on some ground that needed a DD before the mod. Rob was invited with his 3000 to 18 ounce patch that was cleaned out by my Brother and I using the modded 2100's. In the main wash 5 large nuggets over an ounce were found, one was 2.33 ounces, none were on bedrock. I think he found a 10 grainer in the main wash, (I think because a storm had moved things around a bit) but nothing else was found in the main wash. He did find nuggets in the surrounding terraine several gullies away, Rob he is very good with a detector, thats why we invited him to the patch to see what we missed with our 2100's.

I now have a 4000 I'm using and I've hit 2 nice patches this last winter, one patch I dug a nice 1.5 ouncer along with 26 other nuggets, the other patch had a beautiful 7.7 ounce specimen along with about 21 nuggets and three meteorites. I'm going to use the modded 2100 on these patches to see what I missed after I send it to Minelab, it has some sort of problem with the check battery light coming on and the dreaded whoo whoo sound, with a new fully charged battery.