In Defense of J. Porter

Let me get my two cents in here.

Believe it or not, I have talked to JP many times over the last two years. He is a true gentleman, a knowledgeable prospector, and has a wealth of knowledge.

However, you want to know the one thing that impresses me most about JP, and probably tells me more about who he is than anything else?

Well it's this: This man is a loyal husband and a dedicated father and family man. We have probably had more conversations about the joys of being family men than we ever had about prospecting.

JP is a class act in my opinion. He is always welcome in my home should he ever care to visit.

Doc

• Admin

Hello Doc,

I would agree with you. Even since the Internet forums first started I followed JP's posts on several of the Australian forums. From day one he was always helpful and one of the major contributors on the Australian gold forums.

Now I've never nugget hunted with JP, but have met him several times when he visited several of the AZO outings. I know he spent most of his time talking about his prospecting adventures and helping others with settings and techniques.

Being in business myself, this is what I see looking in at JP -

JP is a guy that can support his family prospecting the Outback of Australia. He's a guy that has such a great passion for metal detecting. JP has found thousands of ounces. Whether or not he's the punch guy for Minelab, who wouldn't want to be?

If I was prospecting the Outback of Australia for a living, I personally would want to be connected in some way to the best metal detector manufacture in the World, just like JP!

Face it, Minelab is, and has been light years ahead of any manufacture out there.

One day I might get to set foot on some Australia soil and I'm sure JP would be one of the first guys standing there willing to help.

Just my views,

Rob Allison

Hello All: Twice I've had the opportunity to visit with Jonathan Porter while he was in Arizona. I've found JP to ba a fine person and always willing to share his wealth of knowledge about using MineLabs for nugget hunting. To be able to tag a long with JP and observe him in action while nugget hunting would be a great learning experience.

I send my best regards to Jonathan, Fried and the Twins.

Don

• 2 years later...

However, you want to know the one thing that impresses me most about JP, and probably tells me more about who he is than anything else?

Doc

I realize this is an older threat, but I wanted to comment on Doc's posting.... I feel the exact same way, it was one of the things that I immediately loved about JP's videos, seeing his children and wife so actively involved.

In their (I always use "they", because Frieda is a key part of his success I'm sure) "Unleashing the GP Series" video, after digging out a monster nugget (the 21oz Cooee Nugget), his daughter says "Check the hole dad, check the hole".....

He has them trained well....

You'll always be a top bloke in my book JP, and I'm proud to say that I know you. You've been an incredibly helpful person in my many adventures in this hobby and your expertise and guidance has been key in several of my purchasing decisions (coils, detectors etc), for that, I thank you.

And to Frieda and children.... I'm sure I can speak for a lot of people when I say thank you for being the warm and supportive wife/partner/kids that you obviously are, JP wouldn't be where he is today if he was married to some control freak who didn't see the value to him as a person and to the family for what he does. I've had a few of those "Why do you need to buy ANOTHER coil" type headaches in the past, it's great to see he's supported and permitted to be who he is and enjoy what he enjoys without the drama that can at times be part of a relationship... keep up the great work Porter household.....

Jen

• Admin

Hey Jen,

Ya, this thread is like two years old, but it's worth bringing it back up. JP is a wealth of info and has always been very informative to everyone on the forums. I have to "thank" JP again for writing a specific tip sheet called the "GPX-4500 Overview" exclusively for my customers. Many have comments how the tip sheet has helped them get started and used as a reference later down the road.

JP's been a bit quiet, probably out digging big gold nuggets. Must be nice .... Someday I might be able to see that Australian soil.

Take care,

Rob Allison