4000 battery question

I had something rattling around inside my 4000 stock battery pack. I opened up the end caps and was amazed to see an electronic board chingadera attached to standard Li-Ion cells (8 cells wired for 7.4 volts nominal). All kinds of gizmos and doodads wired into that thing with some very puny gauge wire. The rattle turned out to be just the little doodad they put the excess wire around. Looks like it was hotglued in place and came loose.

What is the purpose of all the electronic stuff in the battery pack? How do people connect the aftermarket Li-Ion systems?

Lithium Ion batteries require a circuit board to control them and as Mike has just said the Minelab LI batteries also have an inbuilt battery charger. The Coiltek Pocket rocket has a voltage regulator with the clip in LI batteries having all the electronics built into each battery (the Pocket Rocket system for the 4000 is not regulated just runs the native voltage from the camcorder battery).

Hope this helps,

JP

Thanks for all the input. As a result I built a couple new battery packs for my 4000. I built one with Lithium Polymer cells. 7.4 volts, 10 amp hr, weighs right at 16oz. The LI-Poly cells have really flimsy connectors, made more for laptops and such, much higher weight to power ratio over standard LI-Ion cells. I made the connections then sealed them in plastic to give them some durability. Will be trying out these guys for the next week in gold country. Long backpack hike to some remote hydralic pits, no recharger down there. Will put the 4000 w/ goldstalker through the paces if my legs and back hold out. Will post results next week, assuming I don't end up as bear crap.