Testing Various Battery Systems on GPX-4500

• Admin

Hello All,

This morning when Leaverite and arrived at our hunting location, we done some testing with the various battery systems on the new Minelab GPX-4500. Just to give you some information, the stock GPX-4500 li-ion battery has a built-in signal enhancer, unlike the GPX-4000 battery that looks identical. I tested both the stock GPX-4000 li-ion and the GPX-4000 Pocket Rocket System and they both performed the same. Both of these units were able to hear the same nuggets at different depths, but lacked a bit of audio over the stock GPX-4500 battery.

I'm much more confident now that the Coiltek Pocket Rocket Li-Ion System and stock GPX-4000 battery will work well, you just don't get the boosted audio. Also, they all heard the same nuggets at depth, but the GPX-4500 just gave you a better audio response.

I believe if you added an external signal enhancer such as the new GoldScreamer or Detacc you would be right back into the audio level the GPX-4500 stock battery gives.

Shame on Minelab to not have any stock GPX-4500 batteries available yet. :spank: I'm leaving for Alaska (Moore Creek) next week. ;)

Just an update,

Rob Allison

You know Coiltek, these things don't escape their notice, but everything takes time.

Doc

I would like to see the Pocket Rocket with a built in amp, that would be nice.

Riverman

• Admin

Hello Doc,

Can't wait to see what else Coiltek has in store for us. I'm looking forward to some type of Pocket Rocket System for the GPX-4500. Coiltek spoiled all of us with those damn systems, but now we are back to the big Minelab li-ion ... :girl:

Take care,

Rob Allison

I did some cutting, splicing and soldering and created two 10 hr Lithium Polymer battery packs for my 4000. They only weigh 13 ounces but they are a lot more fragile than the Lithium Ion cells. I had to "shoe goo" the connections since they are foil tab type terminals. They also don't have the built in protection circuit so crossed polarity and overcharging could be a hazard. I've run the first prototype for a total of 15 hrs with no problems. They'll get a workout at Moore Creek next week and the week following.

Anybody who likes to tinker, Batteryspace.com has every kind of battery under the sun, mostly imported from China. If you buy something, use the discount code E7SEA to get an additional 5% off. I have no affiliation other than buying a lot of batteries from them.

Rob, see you at Moore Creek next week.

Stephen

The Lithium Ion system still works great on the new 4500 with one caveat, you are losing the advantage of the built in amplifer that is in the stock Minelab 4500 battery. So the easy solution is just to add the DeTacc amp or Goldscreamer amp to the Lithium Ion system. Most guys already have an amplifier that they used when they had 4000's. If they have signal amps from the older GP's or SD's, they just buy a pair of gender changers to change the four pin congiuration to the 5 pin configuratiion in about 5 seconds. Just plug in and go.

Doc

• Admin

Hello Doc,

I agree with you. After some testing as I reported, you're only loosing some audio. If you're wanting to make the audio level back up, you will need to use a high quality signal enhancer such as the Detacc or new Goldscreamer.

I have both in stock if anyone is looking for one plus the 4-5/5-4 pin gender adapters.

Talk with you later,

Rob Allison