Wet ground nugget

Yo All...Got three hours beeping this morning following a real gully washer that hit last night (Sunday)...The ground is wet down 14 - 15"...I scored this nice little 1.5 pennyweight beauty down about 15 inches on a spot I've already detected very seriously...It seems that with these drenching recent rains that I'm picking up deep small targets...Using the 14" Nuggetfinder Round DD XP coil on my old SD2100...This coil runs so quiet that I'm able to use more of a light threshold tone than normal and it is real stable...I don't know what switching the coil from normal to XP does...I have had several folks explain that it switches the wee-woo to woo-wee, but to me it just seems to be greatly less sensitive in the XP mode...Whatever...I really like the coil alot....I don't know if it's the coil or the ground moisture, but a 1.5 DWT speci just doesn't seem normal at 15", especially with a decrepulated old Minelab like mine... Almost all the nuggets in this patch have been at the deeper levels...Cheers, Unc

• Admin

Hello Uncle Ron,

Congrats once again on another nice nugget!

On another note, the whole damn ground is questionable. I would think the ground would be more conductive when it's wet or damp. I know normally when the ground is wet, the Minelab PI's seem to be very quiet and stable.

Just my thoughts,

Rob Allison

Uncle Ron

That nugget is for sure a keeper so don't throw it back.On the the wet ground in comparison to dry ground I'd say Rob is correct the the wet is maybe more conductive.Now look at it this way in the dry ground it has hot spots in it as you swing the coil over the ground.It's like putting your detector GB on a rollercoaster as you swing it with highs and lows of mineralization.Now take and wet the ground then this cuts the tops off the highs and lows making the minerals look as if the mineralization is more even now.I guess you could say that the detector is spending less time GB and more time detecting plus detecting deeper as we all want.

Ron you know your detector that makes who gets the gold but just how many would have pass by that same nugget by not knowing.

Chuck

Yo Chuck, I'd have to say you're right about the conductivity of the wet ground...I got out yesterday over some ground that was moderately hot before the rains, but now damn near impossible to detect on..This is kind of exciting because I'm trying to figure out all the patches to go check out before the ground drys up...I think there's some nuggets waiting to be found...Cheers, Unc

Hello Uncle Ron,

Congrats once again on another nice nugget!

On another note, the whole damn ground is questionable. I would think the ground would be more conductive when it's wet or damp. I know normally when the ground is wet, the Minelab PI's seem to be very quiet and stable.

Just my thoughts,

Rob Allison

Rob,

I find the opposite over here in Oz, as rain seems to make the ground hotter and the Minelabs are more prone to ground noise and clay domes. As the ground dries we seem to get more depth in our area and pick up signals that we missed previously. Maybe the mineralisation content has a bigger bearing for us. Cheers.