SNOW IN VEGAS

Guido here...I can vouch on the snow in Vegas...McCarraen was shut down for several hours and after I finally landed at 5:00pm the surface streets were jammed. Freeways not too bad, going up any hill was taking a chance. Thank God for 4 wheel drive. People in Las Vegas don't know how to drive in snow

Yeah I was heading up from the house (NW Las Vegas) on 95N to Indian Springs where I work..... 6 rollovers in the 30 miles and 2 more cars had spun out and were in the median or on the side of the road.

Crazy here.

Cant wait for all the melting and runoff to go do some hands on learning with my new detector.

(Ah this is my first post here, been trolling and reading for a while though).

Yeah I was heading up from the house (NW Las Vegas) on 95N to Indian Springs where I work..... 6 rollovers in the 30 miles and 2 more cars had spun out and were in the median or on the side of the road.

Crazy here.

Cant wait for all the melting and runoff to go do some hands on learning with my new detector.

(Ah this is my first post here, been trolling and reading for a while though).

There you go Zimack , good luck

HEre we go some jokes for global warming

"Scientists say because of global warming they expect the world's oceans to rise four and a half feet. The scientists say this can mean only one thing: Gary Coleman is going to drown." --Conan O'Brien

"President Bush has a plan. He says that if we need to, we can lower the temperature dramatically just by switching from Fahrenheit to Celsius" --Jimmy Kimmel, on fighting global warming

"The report on climate change said that humans are very likely making the planet warmer. To which Hillary Clinton said, 'Hey, can't blame me for that one.'" --Jay Leno

"According to a new U.N. report, the global warming outlook is much worse than originally predicted. Which is pretty bad when they originally predicted it would destroy the planet." --Jay Leno

Nah I work up at Creech with the Pred / Reaper's.

Just got into it and being only an enlisted guy (14 years now) I went with the best I could afford which was a new White's GMT.

Have been out several times at one of the mountains close to the house just to learn the noises and I'm consistently finding single pellets of bird shot and small sinlge strands of wire so I think I'm getting the hang of it.

We're heading down to Gold Basin as soon as this stuff melts.

The last six years goes quick...I retired from the Air Force. The Reap's/Pred's are going to keep you busy on all those deployments. High demand for those bird's. Afghanistan and Iraq are an obvious deployments. Too bad you can't use the White's detector at those far and away locations! I don't think they like tourist!!! A buddy of mine did six years at Creech...doing TA...he's with me now at the range...So how long you been in the game of prospecting? Do you know where to go around Vegas...I buzz around here and Gold basin AZ...Guido...

The last six years goes quick...I retired from the Air Force. The Reap's/Pred's are going to keep you busy on all those deployments. High demand for those bird's. Afghanistan and Iraq are an obvious deployments. Too bad you can't use the White's detector at those far and away locations! I don't think they like tourist!!! A buddy of mine did six years at Creech...doing TA...he's with me now at the range...So how long you been in the game of prospecting? Do you know where to go around Vegas...I buzz around here and Gold basin AZ...Guido...

Yeah actually I just got back from Iraq and heading on over to Afghanistan here in the spring. Our ideal deployment rate is 4 over there 8 at home although I dont know anyone thats seen that actually happen yet...usually wind up between 4-6 at home before heading back.

I'm brand new to prospecting, beeped around the bottom of Gass Peak just to learn the machine but heading out to Gold Basin next week for a couple days to try some real hunting territory.

My previous hobby was dirtbike riding out in the desert...especially Gold Butte but a nasty crash has put me out of that game for probably another year and I'm starting to get a bit old to take those kinds of bumps and bruises.

Wife and I are big into hiking, we've climbed Gass Peak twice now and done the whole Mt Charelston and of course Mt Fuji in Tokyo...great time there. So we are looking forward to getting back out there. This freakish weather is killing me though....hate sitting at home!

Wow...some serious hikes you got going on there Zimak...I have not done any of them. Rich Hill is about as high as I go up..

An ant hill compared to the others you were on. I was at 36°22'10.57"N 115°10'11.44"W on the southern flank of Gass Mountain at the June bug Mine, did not find anything. I plan to be at Gold Basin this weekend and next. I am a GPAA member; maybe I will see you there...Guido...

Zimak(and Guido), Have you tried beeping around Gold Butte? Pretty lonesome out there, but interesting country :ph34r: Hendo

Yes I have...man that is some very desolate area out there. You roll the clocks back 1000 years when you go out there. Nothing around for miles. I did some swing time south of the mountain Gold Butte. Did only a couple trips. Mostly hunted Indian petroglyhs out there thou...

Yes I have...man that is some very desolate area out there. You roll the clocks back 1000 years when you go out there. Nothing around for miles. I did some swing time south of the mountain Gold Butte. Did only a couple trips. Mostly hunted Indian petroglyhs out there thou...

Well I've done literally hundreds of mile of exploring around Gold Butte on my dirtbike before I stopped riding. I know of at least 50 large tailing piles out there hidden in the hills we can hit up this year if any of you guys want to go...I'm certainly planning on it.

Also I know someone back there that has had a working gold mine in the family for generations...very deeply hidden in that area that I have his permission to poke around on when I go back. They dont work it anymore as he said it still produces but not quite enough to keep it manned and running.

Let me know if your interested and we'll set something up when it gets warmer....will depend on when I head to Afghan but either way we can get to it this year.

Zimak, P.M. me about a trip to Gold Butte(when the snow melts) :ph34r: Hendo

Will do! Would be good to have some experience along on the trip with me. I've seriously found countless undisturbed tailing piles near shafts...only hitch...do you have a four wheeler available? A lot of these places are way off the beaten paths and I wouldnt dare even taking my F-250 4X4 up some of those spots.

The trails get pretty narrow so the Yammie should do nicely. I have plenty of luggage/storage place on the quad to put as many beepers as we could bring (just pull off the coil).

Sounds like a plan, I'll even talk to my friend and make sure he's cool I bring along others so we know we're 100% legal and NOT going to get shot at :)

Hey Guido the wife and I are planning on heading to Gold Basin either Sat/Sun or both this weekend. I'll be either in a F-250 or on my red Suzuki King Quad 700 with black rear luggage rack.

Maybe you can give me some pointers if we run into you.

I can do that..I should be there tomorrow...I dont think I can be there Sunday...I will be driving a silver Tacoma truck with Air Force tags...

Zimak... Well; I guess I will be out at Gold Basin Sunday instead...I just got a used GP from eBay in the mail today...I have been piecing it together tonight and it is missing some hardware...nut/bolts. I don't think it will be ready until Sunday. I'm dieing to give this machine a try. I also have a SD2100, but I want top use my GP on this trip and see how it does... And yes I would interested in a Gold Butte run one day....Guido

Zimak... Well; I guess I will be out at Gold Basin Sunday instead...I just got a used GP from eBay in the mail today...I have been piecing it together tonight and it is missing some hardware...nut/bolts. I don't think it will be ready until Sunday. I'm dieing to give this machine a try. I also have a SD2100, but I want top use my GP on this trip and see how it does... And yes I would interested in a Gold Butte run one day....Guido

Got skunked today. A lot of good perfect weather hours in beeping around though.

Is there a specific type of area you target in Gold Basin? I tried the wide open flats a bit, drywashes, washes up in the hills, hills themselves etc etc....was a bit of aimless wondering around but a lot of beeping.

Still found 2-3 pieces of bird shot and the odd end other piece or 2 of trash. All in all a great spot though...as far as trash goes there was much less laying around than I would have expected for such a popular area.

We wont be able to make it out on Sunday....gotta run errands and work the "honey-do" list.

Any advice on general areas to go in Gold Basin would be greaty appreciated.

Got skunked today. A lot of good perfect weather hours in beeping around though.

Is there a specific type of area you target in Gold Basin? I tried the wide open flats a bit, drywashes, washes up in the hills, hills themselves etc etc....was a bit of aimless wondering around but a lot of beeping.

Still found 2-3 pieces of bird shot and the odd end other piece or 2 of trash. All in all a great spot though...as far as trash goes there was much less laying around than I would have expected for such a popular area.

We wont be able to make it out on Sunday....gotta run errands and work the "honey-do" list.

Any advice on general areas to go in Gold Basin would be greatly appreciated.

Zimak...sorry to read you got skunked. I go to the following coordinates and work out from there, but you have to be a GPAA member!... 35°52'55.72"N 114°13'40.42"W (copy/paste...insert in Google Earth at top left area) I can get you in as a guest...As for trash this has to be the cleanest area I have been in. When I was out here last swinging a detector for five hours and found one hot rock and a nail. I do a Zig Zag pattern always keeping my eye out on any unusual or interesting targets of opportunity. As for what areas I look at that's what I do...wide open flats, drywashes, washes up in the hills, and the hills. If you can find bird-shot in the desert you can find gold! The silliest thing I found in the desert was a sowing needle! Ridicules!! Maybe someone here can chine on in on what kind of areas they focus on when hunting. Remember there are meteorites as well as gold out there. They will most likely be a light chocolate brown and are called Chondrites. There are three types of Meteorites...Stone...Stony-Iron...Iron. Chondrites...or stone/iron are the most popular ones found. Have not found one yet...but I will...Hopefully like the one at this link...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_myc4Smu1M&feature=related

Skunked again at Gold Basin Zimak...well maybe, tried out the Minelab GP 3500. A major improvement over my SD2100. Found the usual bullets and copper jacket fragments. I did find this weird round little ball about the size of a pea. I looked at it with the Stereo microscope and it has a golf ball dimple surface to it and is non-magnetic. Looks like lead; I never seen bullets that looked like that. Does anyone know what that may be about? Maybe it was the muratic acid that did the dimples during cleanup. I will take it to work the following week and have them to a spectral on it. As you can seen in the photo kind of cold up there...that global warming it really giving me a bad day...Guido

post-21178-1229924252_thumb.jpg

Yeah thats about what it looked like when I was up there, I stuck mainly to the parts without the snow but of course the few targets I did find I was usually kneeling and digging in the snow.

Heading back up this coming weekend too!

Gonna go ahead and join the GPAA here this morning online so I can start from the same area you were in....wanna keep it legal and all that jazz :)