I got an itch

Fellas, I have an itch that I just can't scratch. I spent the last couple days reading every topic started in the last few months. Hey come on now, I had a day off, and nothing better to do of course. Now I want to get out and start swinging a detector. I can take my home time anywhere I want, thinking of doing it in Arizona or New Mexico maybe. Anyone in either of those 2 areas willing to take a greenhorn out and show him how to detect? It probably wouldn't be until February or thereabouts I would be able to get out there, but anyone who would be willing, I sure would be an eager student. And no, I don't have a detector yet, wanted to actually learn how to use one before I invested in one of my own. And yes, I still want to get out to Cali again this coming summer and do some more dredging, or even may splurge and treat myself to a Moore Creek trip, haven't decided yet.

blues dad

Now that's not true that someone will not take a greenhorn out to show him how to use a detector.I'd say if you can find somebody that lives are going to be in AZ. nugget hunting they'd be more than happy to show you.

You do need to have your own detector because you need to learn your detector not anothers.

Rob is one that gives training with some of his detectors he sales.It all comes down to just how much money you have to spend and as always buy the best you can afford.You could pickup a use one and get a good buy for yourself.

Chuck Anders

blues_dad

Think about what you want to do with this detector.If you want it for nugget hunting are just coin hunting are better yet both.

I'm one that likes to have one detector for nugget hunting only and another for coin hunting.So sit down and think just what will I use this detector the most are what I want to hunt the most.If coin hunting is not something you think you want to do then get yourself a true nugget detector.

The best thing is ask question about different detectors.Remember this if your out nugget hunting and you find one you don't have to split it with anyone.It's all yours!

Chuck Anders

Blues; there are several nugget hunting videos available at a reasonable cost, you could learn quite a lot from them...the other thing about borrowing a detector is that they are very expensive...would you loan your truck to a stranger so he could learn to drive??? I am not saying it won't happen but I know people that loaned a detector and got back a broke one or didn't get it back at all. Get a detector and you can learn to use it right where you are...just like panning you don't have to be in the gold fields to learn the basics...you can buy used from a few hundred bucks to the biggest and brightest...money don't do much good under a "mattress"....

Fred

see that's the thing, i dont care much for coin hunting, even though where I live that's about all you can do, not much in the way of gold anything up in michigan except a couple played out old mines. So I would get a detector specifically for nugget hunting, but I dont know if the investment in a great detector would be worth the 2-3 times a year I may be able to get out west to actually put it to good use.

Blues;

fair value recieved for your money given is only answerable by you...

I spent many hours over many years looking for my first detected nugget...tried 3 or 4 machines and spent hundreds of dollars...finally set my mind to succeed or never go home and bingo, at long last my first rice sized nugget...what a thrill!!! total cost maybe thousands, value of my first detected nugget...way beyond priceless!!!!

you sound like a man that is attached to his money...if you buy used much of the cost can be recovered and as long as you take care the detector will last a very long time...

Good luck

Fred

Hey Blues Dad,

Coin hunting can get pretty exciting for me, if you find a ring or an old coin that can be a lot of fun. If you are out for gold, you have to dig a lot of bullets, shell casings, wire, all sorts of iron junk, and a lot more stuff than just gold. If I lived in Michigan I think I would try looking for copper nuggets. Anywhere you live you can find something interesting with a metal detector. I've never been skunked while out coin hunting with a metal detector, but I nearly always get skunked when out metal detecting for gold nuggets. But for me, it's not all about finding the gold, it is also about being outside and seeing the land and the history and all that. That's fun too.