4500 question

Hello All,

After assembling my GF's new 4500 I decided to change the direction that I wound the quick track button wire. I could not pull the plug out of the port. Have others had this problem?

Also I noticed that on the coil wire of the 15x12 Commander there is what I'm assuming is a ferrite noise reducing thingy. The Commander coils that I have don't use one is that something we

can add to all of our coils?

God my 3000 seems noisy now!......... I think I hate her :)

nvchris

• Admin

Hey Chris,

It don't matter what way you wind the small wire. Yes, it can be hard to pull back out, you just have to pull harder. It don't lock into place, but once you fasten it in originally it really holds well and can be hard to pull back off. Sometimes it might be easier if you move the plug back in forth while pulling it.

I believe you are correct about the Ferrite tube. However, I haven't noticed any noice reduction on the Minelab Commander coils over any other aftermarket coil.

Hope this helps,

Rob Allison

Thanks Rob,

I was unwilling to "force" the plug. We bought the unit from a long time friend, Doug's Gun Shop in AK. (his first sale of a GP in over a year and a half) He told us that he still has a

few 3000's and 3500's I think he sent them over to Steve H. So if you know of anyone looking for one (and you don't have one in stock) :)

Were you able to sell any HipStick at the gold show?

nvchris

PS I'd be out beeping today but it's snowing and blowing !

NV Chris. After using the 4500 I can't stand to go back to my 3500. The noise reduction is incredible. My 4500 battery took a dump today, and I don't even know if I will bother going detecting again until my 4500 is back up and running.----Bob

Bob,

I can understand that after hearing the 4500.

I've got one of your twin speaker set ups. Will it work with the 4500 battery amp ? Or do I need to rewire the plug?

Another question since you brought up the battery issue. The detector came with 2 batteries. Rotate them?

Think I'll get one of the gender bender plugs from Rob so she can use our old dome tops and pocket rocket when/if the new ones fail.

nvchris

• Admin

Hey NvChris,

Not sure if you're going to try to use the 6v dome tops or the Coiltek Pocket Rocket with the GPX-4500? You can't use the 6v dome tops with the GPX-4500 since they don't have enough power to "power up" the GPX-4500. The GPX-4500 runs at voltages from 7.2 - 8.4 volts. When the GPX-4500 reaches a voltage around 7.2 - 7.3 volts it will "power down, shut off."

You can use the Coiltek Pocket Rocket that was made for the GPX-4000, but not the one made for the SD/GP series even with the gender adapters. This Pocket Rocket system runs at 6.7 or 7.3 volts, which is not enough to properly power the GPX-4500. If you decide to use the Pocket Rocket system from the GPX-4000 (if you have one) you will loose the signal enhancer so the targets will be much softer sounding.

Replacement Li-Ion batteries for the GPX-4500 are right at $400.00. :angry:

Hope this helps,

Rob Allison