Lightweight Waterproof 11.5-inch Platypus Searchcoil

Since I am mostly around gulches and tributaries to rivers I have been thinking about trying a Coiltek Platypus but I am leery about actually submerging the coil, I am hoping to get some feed back from people who have used the Platypus and get their opinion on this coil. I used it's cousin the Joey and I really liked the sensitivity of the Joey.

Thanks

Tony Teixeira

Hey Tony, Its a killer coil, and 100% waterproof, I've had mine in water almost up to the control box, I have the very first prototype, and it still works just fine, in fact I'd say its my #1 coil. You can't go wrong with it. Grubstake

Tony,

Let not your heart be troubled the Platypus is 1000% waterproof. All of the windings are sealed in epoxy, so you can completely submerge the coil. The manufacturing process for the Platypus is exactly the same process that is used to make the WOT coil for the Excalibur, Minelab's underwater machine.

BCOT!

Doc

• Admin

Hey Tony,

The Platypus is awesome! When I was testing it out when it first came out, I found a nice 8+ Dwt gold nugget in the Bradshaw's with it. I would have missed it, but the nugget was down on bedrock in a pocket that was covered with about a foot or so of water. I submerged the coil down in the pocket and the coil screamed.

Both the Mono and DD work great.

Talk with you later,

Rob Allison

Doc,

Ok, you made me feel better, I am guessing the reason that Minelab did not make submersible coils is because the control box in not waterproof and I can see many boxes getting wet and needing repair....... or maybe its a totally different reason.

Rob,

Yep, there are lot's of pockets in the bedrock out here to play in.

Grubstake,

Since we have quite a bit of trash in the beds, I can spend all day in a small, small area picking out small tacks and stuff so I am leaning towards a DD coil. I am guessing you have the DD coil and if so do you ever discriminate?

Thanks

Tony

Tony, I have not used the DISC. on my 2200, only once, I don't like it I just dig it all, but yes if you use a DD you can run it, The reason I don't run it, my uncle got a target, and said to come over before he dug it, I tryed it onDISC. it blanked out, we dug it, it was a oz and and a half nugget. So From that piont on, I just dig everything. Grubstake. So far since ROB sent me that coil, I have dug up around a pound of nuggets with it. Grubstake

Tony,

Now them little crevises and little holes in bedrock will collect all the heavies that run down the stream. I pullout gold, lead, mercury and old coins in them. You'll want to dig it all like Grub says. You'll need a scuba mask with snorkle and some different tools to pick the nuggets out of them cracks! I'll show you this Summer! Get that Joey and I'll show you some great places...for a cut!!! Until our next hunt.

LuckyLundy