More Gold Nuggets for the Collection

• Admin

Hello All,

Today a partner and I decided to tackle the heat and do some nuggethunting in a location where we have been finding some Black Gold Nuggets. Many of the gold nuggets we are finding in this spot are covered with a Manganese Oxide I believe. This is the only location in this area where I've found them like this.

We were both using Minelab GPX-4500's with the new Coiltek Goldstalker 14-inch elliptical Searchcoils. Total take was just under 6 Dwt's. The biggest nugget was 2.8 Dwt's and is most Black.

Here are a few pictures -

07-18-09_02.jpg

07-18-09_03.jpg

07-18-09_14.jpg

Take care,

Rob Allison

Hey Rob neet looking nuggets. Ive ran into them coated black like that. could be manganese if it comes off easy but if its hard to remove it could be zinc. judging by the brite higher karat color of the gold under the black I dont think its zinc but it also may be a byproduct of the formation of the gold in some locations but it would need to be leaching from within the gold rather just a secondary coating and most of the gold Ive seen that was formed in this manner the color of the gold was more silvery or just dirty looking lower karat. nice interesting finds though. :) Take care, AzNuggetbob

If I remember my stories right, Pegleg Smith? Was supposed to have found some rich deposits of black coated gold, no one has ever found the place he claimed, it was as he was out of his mind wandering for days without water. Grubstake

Ya know Gary I think many of these lost placers have been found and the people that found them just didn't know it. I was huntin with some friends up in northern Nevada at a patch that we were aware of and had taken nuggets out of it for years and one evening a buddy came back into camp and had just dug up a rusty cap and ball pistol buried barrel down in the ground. and when he said that several of us just looked at each other and thought the same thing, The Lost Six Shooter mine??? ya never know. Take care AzNuggetBob

• Admin

Hey Bob,

I think it's a coating more than a matrix or host rock. If you rub them enough the coating will wear off. Most of the ones we have found in this area are small, biggest being the recent 2.8 Dwter. Now it makes me think there might be more sizeable ones.

Can't wait until the weather cools off again.

Talk with you later,

Rob Allison