Heading to Tucson This Weekend

We've got a "family thang" in Tucson this weekend and I was wondering about a couple of things:

1) What are rules about metal detecting in parks, playgrounds, schoolyards, etc?

2) Any decent place near Tucson I could maybe go beep a nugget or dig some dirt to bring back with me?

Also, I ran across this little publication while researching AZ gold: http://www.azgs.az.gov/Mineral%20Scans/gold_bull168_ocr.pdf Ya'll have probably read it to death, but it was new to me and pretty interesting.

Thanks in advance!

Kajun

City parks you need a permit. they are free I'll see if I can get you an address on where to get the permit. County parks

are a big no. I never had a issue any any of the schools. Come to think of it I never had anyone ask to see the permit

in the city parks either. As far as gold goes Greaterville is less then an hour away. lots of claims but if you ask permission I think most would let you hunt. Should be alot of folks down there over the weekend. Good Luck

• Admin

Hello Tx,

Like another forum member stated, you will need a permit to hunt city parks, but anywhere else beyond Private Property you should be good.

If you're out nuggethunting in the field, make sure you stay clear of private mineral claims, private property, State Trust Land, Indian Reservations, Wildlife Refuges, State Parks & Bombing Ranges.

As for areas around Tucson, Greaterville has always been one of the popular nugget hunting locations. There are many smaller placer areas North and South of this location also.

Hope this helps,

Rob Allison

Thanks for the info, ya'll. We're not gonna get into Tucson till about midnight tonight, so getting a permit for park beepin' probably won't happen. Drat. Schools on the other hand, specially elementary schools are usually pretty good, provided they're not fenced and locked up.

Greaterville sounds pretty promising. I may take a drive out there and see if I can locate anyone that'll let me do some beepin'. I don't think we're gonna have enough room for me to take a bucket or 3 for dirt. Drat.

Anywho, if anybody's got anymore suggestions, I'd sure like to hear 'em. We're gonna head out about 1PM.

Thanks!

Kajun

• Admin

Hello Tx,

If you make it down to Greaterville and plan on taking some material home, make sure you dig close to bedrock for the best results. Most of the major drainages are deep, but several of them along with some side drainages have exposed bedrock or shallow depths.

You might also try to take home some of the fine tailing pile material that is all over the place. A guy a few years ago was working just these piles with a drywasher and doing well.

Wishing you the best out there.

Rob Allison