Detector Craze getting Crazier!

You can see from the photo of the open pit that the formation appears to be steeply dipping schists. Perfect situation for metal detecting nuggets. Most nugget producing areas are in this type of formation. AMD . I can assure you that any pulse induction detector will work very well there and a good VLF will also work , but not to the depths of a PI. Someone has convinced the folks over there that a GPX4500 is needed. It may be the easiest to use in highly mineralized soils, but not to the point that justifies paying $15,000.00 for one . A man renting a detector does not have the time to fully learn the advantages of the 4500 over other models, therefore someone who knows how to use an older model might do even better than an inexperienced 4500 user. I can garranty that ANYBODY with ANY PI gold detector will do very well if the reports of these fabulous goldfeilds are true and I believe they are. Anybody who has been detecting since the 1980s and lived through evolution of gold prospecting detectors will tell you the same thing. Improvements have come in small increments since Minelab first came out with the SD2000. Most improvements have been increased sensitivity to smaller nuggets as the large ones have been removed. Most agree that no real overal depth advantage has been accomplished on large nuggets in most goldfeild soil conditions. The 4500 does have an advantage in extreme mineral conditions as more timings choices are available , but if the operator doesn't know how to use these features , he has no advantage. The presently known patches will be depleted rapidly but in a vast mineralized area there will be new patches show up for years to come. The observant prospector down there will learn the indicators to look for and will be able to drive through the countryside and have a good idea when the conditions are right to give it a try. ----Bob

You can see from the photo of the open pit that the formation appears to be steeply dipping schists. Perfect situation for metal detecting nuggets. Most nugget producing areas are in this type of formation. AMD . I can assure you that any pulse induction detector will work very well there and a good VLF will also work , but not to the depths of a PI. Someone has convinced the folks over there that a GPX4500 is needed. It may be the easiest to use in highly mineralized soils, but not to the point that justifies paying $15,000.00 for one . A man renting a detector does not have the time to fully learn the advantages of the 4500 over other models, therefore someone who knows how to use an older model might do even better than an inexperienced 4500 user. I can garranty that ANYBODY with ANY PI gold detector will do very well if the reports of these fabulous goldfeilds are true and I believe they are. Anybody who has been d. ----Bob

Those documents and links I included go into a lot of detail about the geology.... great post Montana... think on the positive side.... think of the flood of used (barely used) 4500's that will be hitting the market in the future. :)

Jennifer

I wish this detector buying rush would end soon. The demand for GPX4500s has really thrown a monkey wrench into the production schedule at Minelab and caused many problems for dealers and buyers alike . We would have a new PI available by now and I would bet money that when a new one does come out it will be at inflated price due to demand and surely it will be in such demand it might be hard to get one. Great for Minelab , but not good at all for the hobbyist / consumer. The one good thing is that if those in the new gold rush areas realize that the older Minelabs will suit their needs well ,then the resale value of our old detectors will go up accordingly and make it easier to upgrade to the next offering. If a gpx4500 is selling for $15,000.00 in Sudan , then it's silly that a GP 3500 wouldn't sell for at least 7 0r $8,000.00. The problem there is that some hobbyist here in the States or Australia may not be able to afford even a used detector if he doesn't have an older one to sell. I know I won't sell my 4500 until I have the new one in my hand. I just hope the GPX 5000 doesn't come out with some ridiculous price due to limited supply and demand. I certainly won't pay $15,000.00 for a detector to chase the dinks that are left on our heavily detected goldfeilds unless I can get over $10,000.00 for my 4500. I've never had a problem paying off a new detector with my finds, but the law of diminishing returns comes into play at some point. The CEO of a company like Minelab is surely under pressure as all CEOS are to improve the bottom line . It's the only way a company can function. If A Sudanese will pay $15,000.00 for a detector and they can sell all they can produce in Sudan , then it would make no sense to sell to a consumer in the US for $5.000.00 from a corporate point of view. This world wide gold rush can only be bad for the hobbyist as long as there is a chance of getting rich in underdeveloped countries. I can only imagine the thoughts going through a poor mans head when he sees a handfull of nuggets his neighbor has found . There will be many people in Sudan who become the equivelant of millionaires overnight and I'm sure that this has already happened to many fortunate families that saw the opportunity in the beginning . More power to these enterprising individuals, but it sure has raised some concerns for the rest of us. Interesting times ahead for the prospecting world.----Bob

The CEO of a company like Minelab is surely under pressure as all CEOS are to improve the bottom line . It's the only way a company can function. If A Sudanese will pay $15,000.00 for a detector and they can sell all they can produce in Sudan , then it would make no sense to sell to a consumer in the US for $5.000.00 from a corporate point of view.----Bob

So to the Minelab dealers on the board, are you permitted to sell for that much over suggested retail, I assumed that Minelab would not permit nor condone an official policy of charging these prices so other than the increased demand levels, I don't reckon that Minelab per say is profiting a huge way. I don't believe they're ramped up the factory and are direct shipping them to the Sudan for inflated prices and failing to fill regular dealers, or at least I hope not... cus it's us little guys n gals that pay their bills in those cold off months when they've not discovered gold in Africa.

I'm sure there are lots of dealers making a killing but they're probably not doing it with Minelab's support or do you think that Minelab is selling a bunch direct like their minesweeping equipment?

I think they're just enjoying the benefits and possibly not enforcing their "you will only sell for $4495.00" kind of policy but I don't know... in an opportunity like this, maybe all bets are off, they could have a factory down in the pit for all I know. :)

Note: Knowing all this now, I really must say how grateful I am to those of you on this board (and you know who you are) who were instrumental in getting my defective one replaced with a new one a short time ago...I'm fortunate to have gotten one it appears. :)

Jen

Montana, great posts. I know its frustrating that its working the opposite there now. like you said instead of actually going for anything now before missing on those large nuggets and then can take your time to get a minelab later when only the small nuggets are left.

I spoke to a friend today in Sudan after all these things we hear about the vlf detectors, but he couldn't confirm that is happening, but guess what? He confirmed that the company people are now after and doing well are the Turkish. The Golden King. :lol: Which proves even crazier, being it a radar system would miss small nuggets anyways if I was informed correctly.

So instead of them going by your advice to get a cheaper detector even SD to get them big nuggets, they went for a higher priced one for probably the same performance.

You see, since there are no actuall official dealers here, its basically what they see or is marketed practically. There is a huge community of Turks in Sudan. Not many American, Australian or westerners in general to show them. The Turks take it as an advantage that Sudan is represented badly in the media. It keeps the western competition away and makes it easier for their products in general. Im not only talking about detectors here but everything even shopping malls, prefab houses, foodstuff, restaurants etc. Most westerners actually think their entering Darfur and not Sudan. I even remember people scared to come to Dubai UAE because it says that its in the Middle East (bringing a picture of Iraq or Palestine to their mind) Thats why I'm against giving that name Middle Eastern War. Hello its 2 countries only in war, not the Middle East.

Anyways my point is Minelab will slip in the market after a while, reason mostly being Service. Many machines need fixing and accessories. If the Turks play their cards right, they will open a whole Service center, Shops, Practical teaching etc. mind you that is already in the doing. Its just easier for them because normally Turkey & China take advantage of all countries that don't deal with the United States. Its just business

Jen: i don't think dealers are taking advantage of the sales. These are all sold by people not dealers. Dealers don't have any. The dealer here in Dubai NTWO is selling @ $4995 but on a 3-6 month backorder. He is so pissed and keeps advertising to warn people that you do not get warranty. Who will need warranty as there is no Minelab service in Sudan anyways, eventhough the website says it has. (don't understand that)

AMD . A Radar type unit will work on large masses of gold and it sounds like there are such nuggets being found there, but the GPR is bulky and cumbersome and the ones I've seen require the user to carry a laptop computer around and requires watching the screen instead of relying on audio input. They typicly cost 3 to 4 times as much as a PI detector.

As far as the political situation in Sudan ,I was told by some of your countrymen that outside of Darfur the rest of the country is safe and peaceful and welcomes tourists. Marketing and media do influence peoples decisions greatly. I was told that Sudanese are convinced that the Hyundai cars are THE cars to buy, anything else is a poor substitute.-----Bob

AMD . A Radar type unit will work on large masses of gold and it sounds like there are such nuggets being found there, but the GPR is bulky and cumbersome and the ones I've seen require the user to carry a laptop computer around and requires watching the screen instead of relying on audio input. They typicly cost 3 to 4 times as much as a PI detector.

As far as the political situation in Sudan ,I was told by some of your countrymen that outside of Darfur the rest of the country is safe and peaceful and welcomes tourists. Marketing and media do influence peoples decisions greatly. I was told that Sudanese are convinced that the Hyundai cars are THE cars to buy, anything else is a poor substitute.-----Bob

I will have to say you are absolutely right about everything. My best education is that i travelled to different parts of the world understanding many cultures and people. My Advantage from all this is that i truly never rely on media, although I'm in the media business working as a sound engineer to CNBC and Dubai media city. Media at the end of the day is business and you have to have news to make money. We call it Salt 'n Pepper add on. We can't make money if we only say the truth.

There isn't much tourists as in Dubai I would say, but still there are enough tourists and their joy really comes after entering Sudan. I always hear this sentence from mostly every tourist "I can't believe this, this is not what i expected" the problem is that these tourist only came to see some part of their family either working for the UN, Shlumberger, Shell, Agip, Total etc. which are all oil companies. So its not that he/she actually felt safe before or decided to come on his/her own untill probably someone from his/her relative or friends working for these companies in Sudan told them about it. Otherwise people would just rely on our info (The Media) True or false you will never know. I don't blame them the average person, how would they know?

As for Hyundai, again. Its not a poor subsitute, its that Hyundai has the biggest share because of United States Boycot. Just like I mentioned about the detectors, all other companies mostly don't have service nor spare parts. Hyundai garages and spare parts are every 5km away from each other. There is no time for luxury. Its what can stay working. As for American cars only a really rich man would buy that for Showing off only, because if he/she even need brake pads, they will never find it. So yes Hyundai, Toyota, Mitsibushi would be the cars to buy in sudan, only so you don't become poor later , on the other hand BMW is an average Car in Dubai and American cars are the poor man's substitute. So it really works differently around the world.

Only now that USA got into the crisis that other countries felt they need to increase their market share anywhere. Before that they were only scared that USA will Boycot them too. Sudan don't have UN sanctions only US sanctions, which means other countries could trade if they want to, but still as a country you would not want to piss off the USA, or they will bring you down too.

All this is what makes me hate politics. Its all business and truly business, people can get burned and burried everyday and you will never hear about them unless there is a benefit back to the same person that reports it. :wacko: The media at the end is only the face of the Salt & Pepper working for any government that pays the most. (highest bidder always wins)

Hope I didn't get too political, but just trying to give you guys an idea of how 3rd world countries think. Its more of Power but no Respect. Thats the reason I only love my country and all its people but definately not my Government. Have an open mind, ignorance is the worst enemy. Thats my theme of life.

Not for small gold but rather for bigger stuff-objects. NOT what you use to find sub-gram nuggets, or even 5 gram nuggets.

http://www.kellycodetectors.com/nokta/nokta_buy.htm

Golden King DPR Plus

Introductory Price $7,999.95 USD

Golden King NGR Basic

Introductory Price $5,999.95 USD

http://www.kellycodetectors.com/nokta/nokta_buy2.htm

http://www.kellycodetectors.com/nokta/nokta_buy3.htm

http://www.kellycodetectors.com/nokta/nokta_buy4.htm

http://www.kellycodetectors.com/nokta/nokta_buy5.htm

http://www.kellycodetectors.com/nokta/nokta_price.htm

Also another company with Imaging and GPR units based in both Oregon and Las Vegas:

http://www.accuratelocators.com/usa_index.html

http://www.accuratelocators.com/zond_index.html

I heard they are good and legitimate.

Not for small gold but rather for bigger stuff-objects. NOT what you use to find sub-gram nuggets, or even 5 gram nuggets.

As far as GPR, its not even useful for 500 gram nuggets, very iffy for 5000 gram nuggets, if you got a nugget the size of a 55 gallon drum, no problem. GPR has many problems with high clays soils and other issues. Applications now in existance are simply not ready for prospecting. If you are looking for a giant treasure cache, it may do the trick.

I don't want to rain on the parade, but that particular photo has been on the net awhile, I remember someone claiming those were also from Nevada, found with a LRL detector.

Please don't rain on my parade... it's -7 outside and it would come down in the form of snow. You may be right, I posted a link to where I saw it.

Jen

Hi Jennifer:

Yep, Reno Chris and Chris Ralph are the same guy (me).

I tried responding to your email, but the coding meant to block machine replies also is extremely effective at blocking human replies as well.

Chris

Had you read the clearly written automatic email it would have just said "Please just reply to this message and hit send" and had you done so, it would have then approved your email address and pushed through to me, the email that you wrote me that was stuck in queue waiting on your simply clicking of "Reply" and "Send"

After that incredible article that you wrote, I'm pretty sure that you could have figured it out considering all the people that keep emailing me and telling me I can have a larger penis and larger boobs keep figuring it out..<grin>

I log into the spam panel every day to see if there's a name in there that can't figure out those two key strokes so I saw you and approved it.

:)

Jen

Hi Jen,

The Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) for the Minelab GPX-4500 is $5995.00. The Minimum Advertised Price (MAP) is $4495.00.

A dealer can sell the unit for any price they choose. The only restriction is on the ADVERTISED price. But you can call up or walk into a dealership and dicker all you want.

We have a trade embargo with Sudan that makes it illegal to sell detectors either directly to Sudan or knowingly to someone who is going to smuggle it to Sudan. However, Australia apparently has no such embargo, as the information at http://www.dfat.gov.au/geo/fs/suda.pdf shows Australian exports to Sudan up 64% in the last year.

Steve Herschbach

Had you read the clearly written automatic email it would have just said "Please just reply to this message and hit send" and had you done so, it would have then approved your email address and pushed through to me, the email that you wrote me that was stuck in queue waiting on your simply clicking of "Reply" and "Send"

Jen - Honestly, I did read the message and that is exactly what I did, hit reply and then send and it blocked me a second time - sending me another copy of the same anti-spam messge. I didnt make a third attempt. I certainly understand your desire to eliminate spam, I get my share as well. I just wanted to let you know that it may not be working quite as smoothly as you hoped.

Jen - Honestly, I did read the message and that is exactly what I did, hit reply and then send and it blocked me a second time - sending me another copy of the same anti-spam messge. I didnt make a third attempt. I certainly understand your desire to eliminate spam, I get my share as well. I just wanted to let you know that it may not be working quite as smoothly as you hoped.

Hi Jen,

Actually had the same problem. Chris is right.

Steve Herschbach

Hi Jen,

Actually had the same problem. Chris is right.

Steve Herschbach

Thanks guys... stupid POS spam software on my hosting company. I have to go in each day and review and make sure nothing gets missed or not approved, makes it not worth having.

I was going to go look at the logs to see what happened but I can't even find the email you say you sent Chris and I remember seeing it and replying. It was on the 7th, I know that much.. oh well.. not going to worry about it, don't need to bore anyone with my spam problems.

Sorry for the hassle.

Thanks for the info re pricing Steve.. and the embargo.

Jen