BEAR AT MY HOUSE

We got a big black bear roaming the nieghborhood, last two weeks or so its hit everyones garbage can, I had a locking top on mine, so it took the whole can, about 800 yards you the hill to my nieghbors place and manged to open it a scatter garbage all over, So I have a metal shed on my place. I started taking the 35 gallon bags out when full and putting them in shed, I take 3 bags in once a month. Well last night I had just one bag in shed. The Bear broke in folded the door back on the shed and hauled the garbage off. Now this bear weigh about 350 I had my spot on it two days ago. I'd shoot it but I;m right in town, and can only shoot it if it gets in my house, or go to jail. Here's the damage he did last night. Grubstake

Well supposedly all the Grizzlies are gone from this area, but they have some big blacks and browns here, and no since we are right outside of Yosemite Nat. Park. they don't hybernate, too much food around for them to eat, they break into vehicles in the park ever night. Fish and Game is gone on vaction until the 2nd of Jan. and this bear is such a problem, they will prob. trap him and haul him to the high country, after he's tagged. They did that to a big brown last year, they become garbage eaters, and you can't get rid of them. They get dangerous, they break into peoples house's. Grubstake

Just lay out a trail of bacon strips Grubby. Start out at the shed and lead him up to your door. When he gets inside the door, open up with your 12 GA. Slug, 00B, Slug, 00B, Slug. Make sure you get a little blood on the floor and in the doorway. Call the sheriff and have him come get the sob.

Either that or hoist the garbage can up about 10 feet off the ground.

Wow Grubstake...I cannot imagine a problem like that! That would make me scared and angry at the same time. I would not know how to handle that. Most people feel bears are more important than people until the wrong thing happens. My 300 win-mag sniper rifle would not be a good choice at short ranges. I would take Dakota Slims advice and have the 00 shotgun on stand-by and a nice rug in the living room floor! Guido

No Shot gun, I have a Remingtom Black powder cap and ball pistol I keep loaded, and I have an extra loaded cylinder, If he gets in, He's dead. I got really hot charges in my remington, instead of black powder, they are powder pellets, that have a higher volousity, and makes it like a magnum. It a 44 cal. Grubstake

Hey Gary

Be careful that 44 will just piss it off if you don't break it's neck with the

first shot. aim for it's chin and use cast ammo.

If this was Alaska you could call DFG and they would take care of it.

This being CA they will probably site you for a faulty shed door and hug the

nearest tree. Be very careful Gary if the bear is coming into suburbia it's

more than likely sick and not afraid of humans,NOT GOOD!! Most bears are afraid

of people.

Best Regards

Herb

I know one should normally shoot to kill if you are firing at a wild animal, but I wonder if shoot to scare would be useful if the bear were going to destroy your property, but I guess you might have the neighbors up in arms and calling 911 if they actually heard a gun shot in the city.

We got a big black bear roaming the nieghborhood, last two weeks or so its hit everyones garbage can, I had a locking top on mine, so it took the whole can, about 800 yards you the hill to my nieghbors place and manged to open it a scatter garbage all over, So I have a metal shed on my place. I started taking the 35 gallon bags out when full and putting them in shed, I take 3 bags in once a month. Well last night I had just one bag in shed. The Bear broke in folded the door back on the shed and hauled the garbage off. Now this bear weigh about 350 I had my spot on it two days ago. I'd shoot it but I;m right in town, and can only shoot it if it gets in my house, or go to jail. Here's the damage he did last night. Grubstake

Thats a bummer about yur shed. I It could be old and cant hunt but if i filled threaten i wou,ld shoot it. Y ou could always shoot it with a bow and arrow heart and lung shot would work. give it an hour and it would be dead or have the sherifs deal with it. Good luck Jason

Hey Grubby, Come to West Texas, I will send you home with one of my fathers home made wild hog traps. Maybe it would work for you. What would California say about you having one for unwanted varmints similar to what we have out here in West Texas? They breed like rats out here, and ranchers, and especially the farmers hate em. They will also attack, and when they do, you better have a mesquite tree that will hold you up near by. These hogs are a cross between the domesticated pigs, and the Russian boar, and they are mean. Range from 250 to 400lbs. They never were heard of 20 years ago in this part of the state. They are also seen sometimes at night in the small towns roaming around.

T

Well I worked on it and fixed the doors, I put an extra hasp and lock on the bottom, and fixed the door tracks, I also drove some stakes about a foot in the ground next to the sliding doors, so they might notbe pulled out and bent like they were. Hopefully he won't be able to get back in. This same bear brole into a house up here, and the people wern't home, he ripped the door off the fidge and mad a big mess everywhere. I think when our local Fish and Game get back from the holidays on the second, they will bring a live trap over here and catch this big guy. we hope anyway, all the nieghbors are up in arms now that the bear has broken into a house. Grubstake

Not to be a real jerk about it but there is a simple solution to your problemm. Take all of your unused medication that you have hanging around if you are like me you'll have plenty especially pain med's. roll it up in some nice hamburger then feed the beer unless of course you have some good grade poison availbile. No bear is worth putting my family into danger as that seems to be doing. If it has already broken into one house it will do it again. I hate the thought of poisoning anything but the bear is a real dager to you.

I was going togive the bear Sandtraps address, he like Chicken Fried Steak, And since he lives by himself, the bear would be good company, But this morn, he said he didn't want a TEDDY BEAR to sleep with. Boy some guys. Ha! Ha!. No, if he gets in my house it will be the last one he ever goes in. My next door nieghbors are scared to death of him, he was on there back porch a a couple of nights a go, we all have sliding glass doors on our back decks, and he left his paw prints all over the glass. Once a bear starts eatting garbage, they willkeep it up rather than hunt, so they become a big problem. Grubstake

Gary,

I read on the Alaska Gold Forum the way the remote miners keep Grizzly bear and Black bear out of their mining cabins when they leave for any amount of time it to take a piece of plywood 2' to 3' wide X however wide the door is plus a foot on each side of the door and drive 16 penny framing nails through the plywood about every 4 to 6 inches and place with the nails face up on the ground in front of the doors and windows that the bear maybe able to get in and secure it to the ground with a couple of long spike nails, it works like a charm once that bear steps on those 16 penny nails he will not do it again!!! :spank: :spank:

Try it you will like it when you hear him scream like a girl in pain!! :girl:

Skip

That is exactly what I was going to suggest, except some very long sheetrock screws instead. Unless of course if children or neighbors can happen by. Rubber bullets from a 12ga are also a very good deterrent that will not harm the bear, but shooting in an inhabited area might sour the Sherrif

You guys are going about it all wrong........Just throw acouple of tree huggers in the shed & put a trail of bacon to the shed. It gives the bear a new years snack & the tree huggers helped feed the animals (a great humanitarian end). :P:ph34r: If tree huggers weren't avalibale use a politician, though the bear probley would get indegestion.

:spank: wonderer