A nice walk at Gold Basin

It was a great day out in the Wilderness. I must admit I could not find anything. A really bummer. A .22 bullet, tin foil and a piece of wire a third of an inch long and the diameter of the number 1 on the keyboard, not bad for a 18.5 inch elliptical coil! I spent half the day looking for meteorites and the other half of the day looking for gold. I have revamped my equipment that I carry such as my web belt and camelbak. Since I found out had too much metal on my person I eliminated the web belt and have the battery and regulator mounted at the top of the Camelbak and dumped a few pounds of metal that I normally carry in the process. I am 5'6" and since my digging pick is interfering with my threshold I decide to reposition the battery/regulator from my web belt to the top of the camelbak threw the antenna ports on the camelbak...the battery was at the same level my pick was, after that was done and I detected all day with the new setup to see how it would work now and it's an improvement. As you can see I put my pick behind me and hanging from the carry strap of the camelbak. I want to keep all metal high up and to a minimum. Guido

post-21178-12618910263827_thumb.jpg

post-21178-12618910665985_thumb.jpg

post-21178-12618910874311_thumb.jpg

Nice setup Guido...how was the weather? It was good/fun meeting you a while back at GB...

Fred

Hello Fred...the weather was just under 60 degrees with a 8 knot wind. Sorry I did not recognize your handle. I think I remember the meeting...was it the time we all (4 or 5 of us)talked until 8:00 pm? Or were you the one from Texas driving the duelly? Guido

I am so, so hurt...I believe you had my chili for dinner...I was probably doing the listening...I can't compete with the talkers of the world...you did have some interesting stories, one was about Italy...as I recall...the dually was from the south...

happy new year

fred

I am so, so hurt...I believe you had my chili for dinner...I was probably doing the listening...I can't compete with the talkers of the world...you did have some interesting stories, one was about Italy...as I recall...the dually was from the south...

happy new year

fred

Sorry Fred...I had too ask and had to be sure...My apologies. The chill and the rest of the dinner was great! It really hit the spot!! I was and am grateful for your all your parties generosity that night! We started talking at dusk for a few hours. That was a good night. Yes; we talked about Italy, nice place to be stationed and live in. I really miss there food! And the white wine...Moscato....himmmmmmm...Thank again...Guido

Guido--could you tell me what brand of pick that is in your photo, can't make it out.

Hello Dirty Ike...the pick is a 16 inch Hodan pick...Chris Gholson's web site carries them...http://www.arizonaoutback.com/pickstools.html...Guido

I have the short handled version, had it for 15 years or more. Before I moved up to the big-dog sizes I dug many holes that I could have lost a small child in...unfortunately all deep holes are filled with junk...but some day...

back to the pick; it is a great pick for most applications. If you end up digging a deep hole a screwdriver and scoup will be helpful.

Guido, all are welcome at our camp...and i hope to meet up with you again...have you found a gold-basin nugget yet...

Happy New year

Fred

I have the short handled version, had it for 15 years or more. Before I moved up to the big-dog sizes I dug many holes that I could have lost a small child in...unfortunately all deep holes are filled with junk...but some day...

back to the pick; it is a great pick for most applications. If you end up digging a deep hole a screwdriver and scoup will be helpful.

Guido, all are welcome at our camp...and i hope to meet up with you again...have you found a gold-basin nugget yet...

Happy New year

Fred

Morning Fred...I have found four meteorites, Jimmy Hoffa, but no Gold Basin gold at this time! Wont give up...I have the rest of the week off, but it looks like I will be spending my time moving instead...Maybe one trip at best. Happy New Year!!! Guido

• Admin

Hello Guido,

There is no beating that Coiltek Li-ion system. Sure wish they had one that worked on the GPX-4500. Someone mentioned the short Hodan picks. I carry all the sizes including the Hodan Pro-Pick if you can't locate one out there.

You mentioned the 18.5-inch elliptical. Are you using the new Coiltek Goldstalker version?

Thanks for posting.

Rob Allison

Hello Guido,

There is no beating that Coiltek Li-ion system. Sure wish they had one that worked on the GPX-4500. Someone mentioned the short Hodan picks. I carry all the sizes including the Hodan Pro-Pick if you can't locate one out there.

You mentioned the 18.5-inch elliptical. Are you using the new Coiltek Goldstalker version?

Thanks for posting.

Rob Allison

Hello Rob...Sorry I miss your Hodan pick on your website...I did look, but I thought you didn't carry them, my bad. As for the 18.5 Elliptical yes it is the Goldstalker version. I cannot stay away from the larger coils I guess. I did find a steel shotgun bead. It came in loud and clear. Its amazing what they can find and they have a large foot print on the search pattern. The round Goldstalker 16 inch will go deeper by one inch on a 1.8 gram gold nugget, but elliptical works well on the desert floor and washes and its easier to pin point... Guido