Best place in the U.S.?

I've been reading this forum for a few months now, and since about 2002 I've wanted to get into gold prospecting but due to finances and time constraints haven't been able to. Well even in this terrible real estate market it looks like I've finally sold my house and one thing I'm planning on doing is buying a 4500 from Rob just as soon as the sale closes. I'm single with no kids and at least for the next few months can be anywhere I feel like. I'd like to head to wherever the best nugget hunting in the U.S. is to be found and given how many skilled people are on this forum, I'm hoping for some opinions on where that might be. :) I can't afford to buy a claim so it would have to be on club claims I imagine. I'm sure I will learn a lot from Rob (the training a is a big selling point for me) and get advice on where to head with my 4500 for the best hunting but any and all advice / opinions are appreciated. Also, I gather from this forum that Australia is first rate but I think I'll need to have some idea of what I'm doing before looking into prospecting outside the U.S.

I'm also interested in trying dredging, high banking and dry washing - any kind of gold prospecting really. I've been wanting to try serious prospecting since about 2002 and really, I've been wanting to do this since I was a KID and I'm 38 now, first time I'm in a position to actually do it. Can't wait!! :D

When you say “for the next few months” I’ll take that literally as timing does matter. Arizona is a great place to prospect, but if you are going to be out prospecting in July and August, AZ is probably not a good choice. On the other hand, the Sierra Nevada in March and April is wet, cold and sometimes snow covered in the higher elevations.

I’d say the best place for the next couple months would be Arizona.

Good for you! If you can do it, and you have wanted this your whole life then ARIZONA is THE place to be from March through early May! Big nuggets are STILL coming off "hammered" club claims in Central Arizona every month! Rob is going to show you the basics (and I'm quite sure a few tricks) like few people can in this part of gold country. Good luck and Big Nuggets! - Terry

I've been reading this forum for a few months now, and since about 2002 I've wanted to get into gold prospecting but due to finances and time constraints haven't been able to. Well even in this terrible real estate market it looks like I've finally sold my house and one thing I'm planning on doing is buying a 4500 from Rob just as soon as the sale closes. I'm single with no kids and at least for the next few months can be anywhere I feel like. I'd like to head to wherever the best nugget hunting in the U.S. is to be found and given how many skilled people are on this forum, I'm hoping for some opinions on where that might be. :) I can't afford to buy a claim so it would have to be on club claims I imagine. I'm sure I will learn a lot from Rob (the training a is a big selling point for me) and get advice on where to head with my 4500 for the best hunting but any and all advice / opinions are appreciated. Also, I gather from this forum that Australia is first rate but I think I'll need to have some idea of what I'm doing before looking into prospecting outside the U.S.

I'm also interested in trying dredging, high banking and dry washing - any kind of gold prospecting really. I've been wanting to try serious prospecting since about 2002 and really, I've been wanting to do this since I was a KID and I'm 38 now, first time I'm in a position to actually do it. Can't wait!! :D

Lateraus,

I wish you the best of luck, I wish I could do the same!!

One thing to consider is that if you haven't ordered your GPX4500 from Rob yet, from what I understand it is a couple of months wait to get one right now if you have ordered it and paid in advance because of the shortage from Minelab, better get to stepping if you haven't ordered one yet!!!

Skip

Thanks for the replies guys. I had assumed Arizona would be the place to go. I imagine that come mid June or so it will be too friggin hot until late October or thereabouts? Just wondering where it might be feasible come June, although during the hot months I'm thinking I will be dredging. I hope so anyway.

Would the 4500 be a good tool for finding spots on river banks to do some high banking? Or would it be overkill? I'm also wondering about using it for finding good places to run a Keene vibrostatic drywasher.

Unfortunately I have NOT ordered the 4500 yet... my house sale should close March 15th so I won't have the money until after that.