Bedrock hunting / Thick Brush Coil

Hi Guys,

I was hoping to get some opinions on choosing the best coil for hunting in thick brush and bedrock. I currently have the 12 x 18 Coiltek. It's just way too much coil to be swinging in thick brush and bedrock of California. I haven't had much luck finding gold yet and I thought I'd try a different approach to hunting with a smaller coil.

Thanks,

~Jesse

Jesse

I agree with LuckyLundy, a good 14 inch elliptical is a good all around coil. That 12 x 24 is good for open country where there might be some deeper targets and it provides some good ground coverage but a 14 inch elliptical will get into tight spots a little better.

Hope this helps, Wes.

• Admin

Hey Jesse,

What I tell pretty much everyone is that 3-4 coils will cover pretty much what you need. You don't have to have 10-15 coils, 3-4 will cover pretty all you need.

The best coil in my opinion for shallow or exposed bedrock is the Coiltek Joey Mono, Minelab 8-inch Round Mono or the new Coiltek 6-inch Round Mono. All these coil will find small gold and will have max senstivity to small gold.

Hope this helps,

Rob Allison

Jesse. I agree with all the advice above. Especally for a newbie. The bigger the coil the more trouble a newbie has with pinpointing, coil control and interpreting a target sound. Start with a coil 14" or smaller and don't worry about that very rare deep large nugget. Since you are trying bedrock areas 99% of nuggets will be smaller shallower targets. If you run across a big one the small coils will get them no problem and you will be able to pinpoint them much quicker and move on to the next target. I caution all newbies to start with a small coil.----Bob

Hi guys,

First off I'd like to thank everyone for their input. Right now I have two coils in mind, the Joey and the 12" elliptical Nuggetfinder ( Just need to convince my wife to let me buy one). I'm still waiting on my 12 X 15 Commander coil from Minelab. I guess it's on backorder. I think if i have three different sizes of coils I'll have the right tools for the areas I want to hunt.

Thanks!

~Jesse

Jesse,

Listen to Montana and Lucky, they find the gold! I have to say that the 14" elliptical coil is the all around best coil I have ever swung on my Minelab. I would not worry about a 12" if you are going to get a Joey. The tip and tail are just as hot on the 14" as a 12". These coils make pinpointing the target easy. I am no coil expert, but I have found small gold, big gold, deep gold, shallow gold with the 14"! I just use what works best. It gets into tight spots, but also gets exceptional depth. I swing the Coiltek Goldstalker 14" elliptical mono and have done so for 2 years. It is the best coil I have ever used. Good luck out there.

Matt