MONO or DD?

Yeh you can tell by the coil cord, if its real thick, its prob. a mono, if thiner, prob. a DD, but the sure way is put the coil on, put it in cancel, if it picks up a small nugget, its a DD, Mono's won't do that in cancel mod. Grubstake

Yeh you can tell by the coil cord, if its real thick, its prob. a mono, if thiner, prob. a DD, but the sure way is put the coil on, put it in cancel, if it picks up a small nugget, its a DD, Mono's won't do that in cancel mod. Grubstake

Thanks grubstake

The first way of distinguishing may not be accurate since we are talking about other manufactures rather than Minelab

The second way is valid but is need to use Machine to test that

Can we use ammeter to determine that?

A mono coil will show pins 1 and 2@ .x a DD will show xx.x on pins 1 and 2 this is using a multimeter set for "resistance" (the upside down horseshoe thingy)

The coils used were a 9x5 commander DD and a Stalker 14 elip mono

DD reading

post-573-127501113911_thumb.jpg

Mono reading

post-573-127501116667_thumb.jpg

Someone that understands this stuff can explain what I did I'm just a light bulb changer :)

Chris

• Admin

Hello Guys,

Most coils should be marked, but if they are older the label or marking could have wore off. You can test the coils on a detector if you understand what type of signal response and where you should hit targets.

However, like NvChris mentioned, you can check the resistance of the coil windings to see what type of coil it is also.

Typically, DD and DD Pro coils will have more windings, meaning a higher resistance. A Mono coil with less windings than a DD will have less resistance. You can use a simple Mulit-meter in the Ohm's setting to ring out your coil. Keep in mind, you must be comparing like sized coils. A 18-inch Mono should have a higher resistance reading than a 8-inch Mono and such.

Basically just testing the coil wire from one end to the other. The longer the wire the more resistance.

If you don't have something to compare with or against, then this might not be the best method.

Hope this helps,

Rob Allison

update

Since it was a rain/snow/sleet and blow day I decided to take readings on a variety of coils. Coiltek, Nuggetfinder, Minelab, old and new. (including a old garbage can lid)

A total of 9 mono's and 7 DD

All the mono's regardless of size from a Joey to a 25'' NF read .4 with the exception of one coil which happens to be my favorite (17" nf elip fiberglass) .2 and the new Goldstalker's which read .5 (this may have to do with the rumored preamp in the coil)

All the DD all sizes read 14.5 + or - .2, except a Coiltek 11x17 DD PRO (the only DD PRO I had to test) which reads 7.3 (which happens to be my favorite DD)

I hope someone can verify my observations.

This may be useful to the coil buyer middle men who don't have a detector to test with.

Buyers I've spoken to have told me that unscrupulous ebay sellers have mislabeled DD coils to get more $.

Hi All

The readings I found are the same, also inductance

will read 300 plus or minus 5, anything more

or less and it will not work properly on a ML.

A TDI can be 250 to 350. As for other brands??

Regards

Herb

• Admin

Hey NVChris,

The DD Pro's are hot DD coils. I've done very well with them over the years. Their resistance reading is higher cause they do have more windings than a typical DD from what I've been told. They also produce about 20% more power than a typical DD coil of the same size.

Take care,

Rob Allison

That. I don't know, you'll have to find someone on hear that has done that. I'm not sure there would be much difference in the Ohms, on either. Grubstake

Thank you very much grubstake to your concern

A mono coil will show pins 1 and 2@ .x a DD will show xx.x on pins 1 and 2 this is using a multimeter set for "resistance" (the upside down horseshoe thingy)

The coils used were a 9x5 commander DD and a Stalker 14 elip mono

DD reading

post-573-127501113911_thumb.jpg

Mono reading

post-573-127501116667_thumb.jpg

Someone that understands this stuff can explain what I did I'm just a light bulb changer :)

Chris

Hellos nvchris

Appreciated you great effort and wonderful contributions

Really it make sense