Ground balancing the Gold Bug 2

Well,

I feel like I am getting better at gb'ing the GB2.

This is gonna take some time !

Anyone know any tricks/methods-- I can use to learn better?

I found some more bird shot today.........

Anyone know the spot price for LEAD!!!

It picks it up fine,,,,

Happy hunting,

Paul

What a beautiful moon tonight!

• Admin

Hey Paul,

I was a Fisher dealer for many years and used the Goldbugs for a long time back in the day. The Goldbug2 is the most sensitive gold detector out there at 71khz. However, one drawback is the fact is can be too sensitive for moderate to high mineralized zones here in the Southwest. If I was hunting mostly bedrock or shallow areas that were minimal mineralization you can kick ass!

I went back to many washes where I found hundreds of nuggets with various detectors and always seemed to find more with the Bug2. Most of them were very small, under a grain in size.

Since the unit is manual ground balance, you will have to play around with the knobs more in highly mineralized areas. One thing that will help is to drop back the "gain/sensitity" or "cuff or raise" the coil off the ground an inch or so.

A Minelab PI and Fisher Goldbug2 are two great detectors to make sure you're getting most of the nuggets from an area.

Hope this helps,

Rob Allison

Thanks for the insight

It all helps....a cumulative effect. That's what happening with my hunting right now

Go for the gold!

Hey Paul,

I was a Fisher dealer for many years and used the Goldbugs for a long time back in the day. The Goldbug2 is the most sensitive gold detector out there at 71khz. However, one drawback is the fact is can be too sensitive for moderate to high mineralized zones here in the Southwest. If I was hunting mostly bedrock or shallow areas that were minimal mineralization you can kick ass!

I went back to many washes where I found hundreds of nuggets with various detectors and always seemed to find more with the Bug2. Most of them were very small, under a grain in size.

Since the unit is manual ground balance, you will have to play around with the knobs more in highly mineralized areas. One thing that will help is to drop back the "gain/sensitity" or "cuff or raise" the coil off the ground an inch or so.

A Minelab PI and Fisher Goldbug2 are two great detectors to make sure you're getting most of the nuggets from an area.

Hope this helps,

Rob Allison

Paul, the GB2 is a great machine but you have to re-balance constantly. Sometimes every 1 or 2 feet. Just go slow and you will find gold. Kick those hot rocks out of the way. Even with manual ground balancing, some soils are simply too hot for the GB2 to handle.

Paul, reduce the sensitivity as Rob said, once you get the course knob adjusted use the fine knob to fine tune...you should not need to turn the fine-knob very much...as you lower the coil you want a faint rise in the threshold...once you get that you can adjust as you detect by barely turning the fine knob with your finger of the hand that is holding the detector...by the way, the small e coil is killer and will find bits of 1/10 grain...there are about 450 grains in an oz

fred

Thanks to all who replied!

It helps me to hear the same thing over and over from different people.

I am going to try to attach some pictures of todays take!

I went to a known patch that is very, very trashy, but good for practice...from 820am to 1020 am...2 hours is all I could take before the heat ran me off.....sweat was running into my glasses when I bent down to dig! LOL

I took a string and ran it out to use as a guide, so now I know where I have been when I come back. I took the string but put out some rock markers to keep me orientated.

Not glamorous, but I am starting to "hear" the detector....a real neat sound that confused me-ball point pen spring".....it was kinda like a nail that goes beepbeep, but it kinda went, chatterchatter

Like when you try to set the threshold too quiet, ,,,,,good day in God's Country!

I went to a known patch that is very, very trashy, but good for practice...from 820am to 1020 am...2 hours is all I could take before the heat ran me off.....sweat was running into my glasses when I bent down to dig! LOL

I took a string and ran it out to use as a guide, so now I know where I have been when I come back. I took the string but put out some rock markers to keep me orientated.

Not glamorous, but I am starting to "hear" the detector....a real neat sound that confused me-ball point pen spring".....it was kinda like a nail that goes beepbeep, but it kinda went, chatterchatter

Like when you try to set the threshold too quiet, ,,,,,good day in God's Country!

You're dripping like a fat man? B) You thought it got hot down there in hillbilly hollow Paul? LOL! Welcome to Joo-Lie in Arizona! :spank: Remember what Mel taught you; get it balanced, set your "mosquito hum" - And Put Some Headphones On! Oh, and I'm down to 230lbs you fat sumbeach! :rolleyes: I got a new Tesoro for ya this August ;) - Terry

You're dripping like a fat man? B) You thought it got hot down there in hillbilly hollow Paul? LOL! Welcome to Joo-Lie in Arizona! :spank: Remember what Mel taught you; get it balanced, set your "mosquito hum" - And Put Some Headphones On! Oh, and I'm down to 230lbs you fat sumbeach! :rolleyes: I got a new Tesoro for ya this August ;) - Terry

Yeah its warming up a tad, but I just talked to my friends in Grand Isle, La, where I came from and it is super humid down there now, plus they have my island blocked off because of the stinkin oil mess...so I am giving my camp away down there when I go back next week.

Fishing is ruined for awhile, sad ,,,there was great fishing there.

Anyway, back on topic (BOT) !

I will look for the Tesoro!

But first I gotta learn how to run the GB2!.......went out this morning for a hour and found some aliminum foil, 16 penny nail that about blew my speaker up, a spark plug, lots of little rusted tin scraps,

I think I can upload a picture of the first day finds------ now that I am at home in Phoenix.

Missing is a piece of aluminum foil, 16 penny nail, and some more rusty metal,,,,and something that i can't figure out. Looks like a dull aluminum nugget.....to light to be gold.. [look at 5 o'clock and see the birdshot]

i'll take a picture of it tomorrow if anyone is interested.

Had a great weekend------------ detecting early and late, and running dirt in the shade the rest of the time.....

Archived