Question

Supose you are hunting an area and you know there is detectable gold and you are not finding much but a few bullets and boot tacks. How well do you think this place has been hunted with moderen detectors? Can anyone really tell the differance between gold and lead? For me, a small bullet fragment sounds no different than a nugget of about the same size.

Bunk

Hi Bunk,

I cannot tell the difference between a piece of lead and gold.

A whole bullet is easier to identify but not always.

As far as being able to tell whether an area has been extensively worked

it probably has to do with lots of factors; things like does it rain much and minimize dig holes,

do people fill in their holes. If the area is easily accessible and there are few

trash targets it makes me feel it's been well-worked.

The desert is a bit easier to read as scrapes and dig holes or any messing with the land

usually leave much longer lasting evidence.

fwiw

Nice to see you posting,

Flak

Thanks Flak, This place is in the middle of nowhere but you can drive to it. Not a lot of sign of past work, so I think it holds promise. I did find a small nugget at this spot but I have found several totaly "lone" nuggets over the years. I know not many places here in AZ have escaped the thrashing of a Minelab at one time or another since they came out. Most of these targets should have been found by past detectorist, I would think. I will get back to this spot when it cools off a little. Thanks for the reply.

Bunk

well if your finding trash theres a good chance theres gold that hasnt made it into a pocket as well ,clean up all the trash strap on a big coil and dig have a great day Justin

Bunk

I really don’t think all the gold is gone :D and the spot is worked out. Maybe one day no targets :spank: , the next day due to rain temp and the way you hit the target with your coil you get a few :P . I have been to a few spots that have been known to be worked out and still came home with a few :P .low and slow is the way to go good luck out there.

Lon

Another factor, if you were finding gold there in the past what you need to do is work the ground, take a few inches off rake it away and go over it again.

Thats what we have been doing in 2 spots that were "cleaned out" supposedly.

Doing this process caused a 1/4 OZR. to be detected WHY because it WAS DEEP an takin a few inches at a time gives the detector the chance to go where it can't if you don't. Make sense !!

Gotta agree with everyone above and then throw my .02 in. If you've found a nugget there, then you're in a gold area. Even if it was only one. Try different coils and settings. If you're going to an area that looks good, but never found any gold- move on. Finding trash (if not overbearing is a good sign, in a gold area). If it's close or you don't have the time to explore, go for it!

Shep

To me, it would kind of depend on the type/age of the trash. The old timers didn't stop anywhere for log unless it held some manner of income for them, IMHO.

If I'm finding a lot of shallow, recent trash and little to no evidence of it being a bearing area... and no gold, I'll move on.

I'm probably passing up a LOT of yellow stuff, though.

Thanks Guys, I really think this could be a spot that the Minelabs have missed over the last 15 years.As soon as it cools off a little I am going to check it out further.

Bunk

Hey Bunk,

If you decide not to work it, just give me the co-ordinates and I 'll dig it for halves!!!

paul

By the way....the same offer goes to anyone else out there who can't work one of their known patches for some reason or the other...I need the experience of being where there has been gold in the past....can't wait to go over towards the motherlode!!!!

PSS... I was watching a video of Jack Lange from AU the other day,, and he plainly said he could not tell the difference between gold and lead...seems like he has been digging for awhile too...dig!

Archived