Using the Minelab GPX5000's Fine Gold Timing

• Admin

Hello All,

Today a partner and I had the morning available before we had to meet a couple of customers in the Black Canyon City/Rock Springs area. My partner and I thought of a couple of places that have been hammered and figured we would give the "fine gold" timing on the GPX5000 a run for it's money. We only had a few hours and I broke my pick digging the second target, but still ended up with two small nuggets.

Without a doubt, the "fine gold" timing on the Minelab GPX5000 is more senstitive to small nuggets and gets more depth than the Special/Extra timing that I loved so much. The "fine gold" timing also is much better on mineralized ground.

Conclusion: If I'm able to find all the small nuggets at a few more inches, I will take them all. At $1,300/ounce and climbing, it only takes about a Gram of gold to pay for fuel and expenses for the day.

Here are a few Youtube videos from today -

Hope you enjoy.

Rob Allison

• Admin

Hey Lucky,

For many years when I first started detecting I used to drag around one of those heavy, metal Estwing picks. The pick was undestructable, but damn would it set the Minelab PI's off! :girl:

Funny, my friend borrowed my GPX5000, pick and accessories and mentioned he "cracked" the pick during his outing. I ended up taking it today and it broke when I was pulling dirt out of the hole. Brandon!!!!!!! Arrrahhh .... :spank:

P.S. Are your metal picks lightweight?

Take care,

Rob Allison

many times ive broke my pick and it always happens early on ! leaving you with a short day. nice nuggets though the second (smaller one) is impressive i find those often enough but that signal was loud, and clear and seemed to pinpoint easier with fine timing verry cool Rob see ya Justin

• 6 months later...
  • Admin

Hey AZOverland,

In all honestly it's been a toss up between Special/Extra & Fine Gold timings. I like them both, they both have their places from what I have seen. The "Fine Gold" timing seems better on moderate mineralization over the "Special/Extra." In milder conditions, the "Special/Extra" works great.

Have you played around with "Sharp" timing yet? This is another great timing for certain spots.

This is one major advantage of the GPX5000 is the fact you have so many combinations to play with to optimize your detector for various ground condtions, size of gold and depths you want to achieve.

Talk with you later,

Rob Allison

Archived