My first day with the GPX5000

Morning trip to Rose Creek which has lots of trash.

Here's some of what I found:

Rose Creek targets

Afternoon trip to local GPAA claim which also had lots of trash. photo:

GPAA targets

I couldn't distinguish from my test nugget sound and the garbage. Played around with some settings.

I'm a novice hunter (just started this year) so there is a detecting learning curve besides the new detector.

Every hit was a genuine target - now to keep experimenting with the settings to better discriminate.

I have high hopes for some nugget action! :)

Now that's what I'm talking about!

People helping people.....

Thanks for your helping attitude Bunk!

pk

Thanks for the replies, guys.

Didn't mean to sound discouraged; I was kind of exhausted from going out twice in 1 day. I just realized that every hit was a legitimate target with NO hot rocks :)

My plan is to get fairly proficient with the detector before scheduling Rob's training session. This is so we can focus more on tips, tricks & techniques rather than just the mechanics of the machine.

The manual is well-written and illustrated. As a technician I've dealt with a lot of cruddy manuals, many written outside the country, so Minelab's is a pleasure.

Bunk- I appreciate the offer but am having a rest day. We'll touch base again soon.

Happy hunting, y'all!

I am assuming reading the manual is part of your learning process...the targets you have indicate a reasonable level of knowledge/skill (especially the tiny lead or brass)...to get maximum benifit from Rob's instruction...go soon, before you form habits that inhibit rather than help...

Fred

there's nothing like having somebody there to help you. Wish i had help. I think then i would be way ahead of where i am now. I hit a spot yesterday with my kid, that was really rich, there has to be float gold in there. It's funny that i thought i would get this a lot sooner. So keep at it! i'm not giving up yet. Going out again today....

Thanks for the advice and encouragement, gang.

I dropped off laundry today instead of doing it myself, so spent that hour back out on the GPAA claim finding more...um...treasure:

Photo Here

One of those square-headed nails I've heard about (it spirals).

Yes, I'm not only reading the manual over and over I actually carry it with me in the bucket. Today experimented with Fine Gold setting and Pinpointing.

Noticed a lotta coil scratches already from sticking it between rocks, but guess they make em strong.

Oh- LOVE the harness with bungie- definitely eases the load and extends detecting time.

Sounds like a consensus to get instruction sooner rather than later so I'll see how Rob's schedule is.

Thanks again for all of your input! :)

Archived