Hot ground coil balancing

Just a quick question on balancing. With the GPX 5000, using the stock coils, on some very hot ground here in central Arizona, I've had problems balancing the mono coil, but was able to balance the DD. I've heard that more experienced users can usually balance the mono in hot ground, and was looking for a general starting point, or some settings to try the next time I am trying to use the mono and have trouble getting it quiet. In most areas, the mono runs good and quiet, but in others, I can't get it to go. I'm new to this, and haven't yet got a good understanding of the "whys" behind using the different settings. Thanks for your help.

Lyle

• Admin

Hello Lyle,

This is a great question, but the answer can be complex. There are a lot of variables to balancing a mono coil on different ground conditions. With a monoloop searchcoil, you're going to have a bit more sensitivity over a DD, besides the depth advantages in most cases.

I'm not sure what timing you were using, but if you're experiencing ground balancing problems, you might try the "Enhance" or "Sensitive/Smooth" timings and see how they work. Both of these timings work better on mineralization and hotrocks. If you're using a timing such as "Special/Sensitive/Extra," then you might experience more ground noise.

Another option can be by lowering your Gain. If you're Gain is too high, you will get more ground noise and experience ground balance problems. Try lowering your Gain to see how that works.

Don't rule out the "Auto Tracking" feature. Sometimes the "Fixed" ground balance will not allow you to work as well in highly mineralized areas, so trying the "Auto Tracking" mode with difference speeds could help.

There are a lot of options and combinations, but you should be able to find some combo that will allow you to work with a Monoloop. I've only found a few places in many years that wouldn't allow me to work with a Mono on the GPX series metal detectors.

Give one of these suggestions a try and get back with us.

Talk with you later,

Rob Allison

Also, your Motion Settings have a lot to with stability.

If you use settings higher than "Slow" ( that would be "Medium" or "Fast"). you will

tend to pick up more interference than if you hunt in "Slow" or "Very Slow".

The EMI in an area, or even at a particular time of day,

can greatly affect being able to ground balance easily.

If you tend to hunt in "Fixed" it is a good idea to ground balance

using the tracking button frequently (more frequently than I see

most people mention), especially depending on the size of the coil.

A larger coil (usually thought of as 17" and above), will generally need re-ground balancing more often.

fwiw,

Flak

Thanks for the help. Got the mono running perfectly smooth today in an area I couldn't even use it last time. Great to have experts willing to assist with what must seem like simple questions, but are sometimes stumpers to us beginners. Found the tiniest sliver of lead down almost a foot using the sensitive smooth timing. Had to put my glasses on to even see it in the scoop. Barely a peep when passing over it, would not have heard it without the smooth threshold. Wasn't looking for lead, but still happy to have found such a tiny speck through all the stones.

One thing many never speak of is the "other way" that Minelab has to ground balance a GPX. It is the SPECIFIC ground balance. I never had to use it here in the US, but it helped me out numerous times in extreme and variable mineralized areas I hunted in Brazil! It works and works very well in difficult ground with a mono coil.

Archived