4500 problem

I was out detecting yesterday with the gpx 4500 it was running perfect. Today when I got back out to the patch the 4500 was running like it was stuck in cancel mode. Only picking up very large targets close to get coil. I tried new batteries, different coils, factory resets, and all different modes. I even played with all the switches and connection points. Has anyone heard of this happening to a 4500. This is a new unit 6 months old.

It was not dropped or anything. Just sat it on a table and charged the battery over night. Then packed it back up this AM.

Benz, You can also check for shorts in the headphone jack and power cord. That can mess with the audio.

My new 4500 also had an issue with start up, just loaded a blank screen with a strange audio signal. It only happened with my platypus coil, which got me thinking that it may have a short where the plug goes into the coil, as it signals off bad if I bump or wiggle it at the strain relief.

Hope you can figure it out.

Benz, You can also check for shorts in the headphone jack and power cord. That can mess with the audio.

My new 4500 also had an issue with start up, just loading a blank screen and strange audio signal. It only happened with my platypus coil, which got me thinking that it may have a short where the plug goes into the coil, as it signals off bad if I bump or wiggle it at the strain relief.

Hope you can figure it out.

I tryed 2 different battery cables, 2 different batteries and 3 different coils

I was playing with the detector in my garage and found that the sensitive part of the coil (stock DD coil) is the middle of the coil on all settings, DD,M,cancel. i was using a old push rod from my car and could hear it at 3in from the coil :unsure: .

I had the same type of symptons that you are describing on my detector, and it was the plug on the stock DD coil. The wire was only partly touching inside the plug, and i got it resoldered.

I'm no expert at this type of thing, but I think it may be the soldering, or wiring just where the coil plugs in on the detector (seeing as you have tried different coils.)

Hopefully that is the problem, as I wouldn't expect that it would cost a lot to fix that type of problem.

Cheers

I had the same type of symptons that you are describing on my detector, and it was the plug on the stock DD coil. The wire was only partly touching inside the plug, and i got it resoldered.

I'm no expert at this type of thing, but I think it may be the soldering, or wiring just where the coil plugs in on the detector (seeing as you have tried different coils.)

Hopefully that is the problem, as I wouldn't expect that it would cost a lot to fix that type of problem.

Cheers

I was thinking the same thing. Something came loose while hiking in/out. It shouldnt cost me a cent i still have the warranty for another 18 months :)

Rudy & I, tried all the things mentioned above in the field. I think a cow snuck up and stomped on it! He sent it out to Shy-Town today and is looking for a fast turn around to get back in his patch. Keep us posted on the turn around time.

LuckyLundy

Your best option is to send it in for repair. My GPX4500 found a 1.6 ounce nugget first time out when I loaned it to Trevor, the owner of Coiltek. Then I used it two times after that and I found gold with it both times. In other words it was kicking butt. Fourth time I used it, it was actually nulling out my test nugget like it was a piece of iron.

I sent it in for repair. I had a bad ribbon cable, and they replaced a bunch of other things, now it's back to purring like a kitten.

BCOT!

Doc

Guest goldstudmuffin

My GPX4500 found a 1.6 ounce nugget first time out when I loaned it to Trevor, the owner of Coiltek.

Hello Doc,

It could not have happened to a nicer guy than Trevor!, (well maybe you) If I remember right the nugget weight 1.8 ounces.

I just don't even want to think about it. I had never even used that machine and let Trevor use it and 10 minutes after turning it on he snagged that nugget. However, like I said, it took a lot of pressure off of me, because once you find a nugget that size you can pretty much call the whole vacation a big success. And we all owe you a big thanks for allowing us to detect on your claim.

I mean nothing like having someone point to a gully and say, "we found a lot of big gold in that gully and a lot of trash and it isn't cleaned out yet, have at it." You and your brothers generosity and good nature are legendary!

Merry Christmas to you both!

Doc

Hello Doc,

It could not have happened to a nicer guy than Trevor!, (well maybe you) If I remember right the nugget weight 1.8 ounces.

Archived