Detecting for gold in Alaska

Hi, I am new to this forum and I'm enjoying the good information I'm getting. I'm planning a trip to Alaska this summer to find a nugget or two. I've been doing a lot of reading but that is only second to people that go out and find the nuggets, that are on this forum. I'm wanting to make a stop at Chicken and do some detecting but finding places to hunt is a problem. I do plan to try Jack Wade Creek, it's open to the public. My question is do any of you know good places in Alaska to hunt with a detector? I'm hoping to find some good places to hunt, that I don't have to pay. Also where in Alaska is the best place for bigger nuggets? I will appreciate any and all the help you guys and gals can give me.

bullseye

Elmer;

welcome to the forum!

There is an Alaska gold forum that would likely be more helpful...my only Alaska experience was at Moore Creek.

Maybe Seeker will chime in or Steve Hershbach (not sure of the spelling Steve)...

Also Rich "Lambert" wrote several books on Alaska Gold areas...

Maybe Rob will add to this

fred

• Admin

Hey Elmer,

Welcome to the forums! :) Alaska is a great place to metal detect, but knowing where to go is always the question. I spent many years in Alaska metal detecting, but did most of it on the pay-to-mine operations like Moore and Ganes Creek. I did well at both locations, but spent more time at Moore Creek back when a good friend, Steve H., from Alaska Mining and Diving owned it.

Without knowing someone to give you some good advice on where to go, you might struggle on finding a location that is not claimed or off limits. I'm sure with all the guys here on this forum, someone will be able to direct you into the right area(s).

If you get a chance, I have several Youtube videos on Moore Creek. Here is one video from about two years ago -

Wishing you the best.

Rob Allison

Elmer;

welcome to the forum!

There is an Alaska gold forum that would likely be more helpful...my only Alaska experience was at Moore Creek.

Maybe Seeker will chime in or Steve Hershbach (not sure of the spelling Steve)...

Also Rich "Lambert" wrote several books on Alaska Gold areas...

Maybe Rob will add to this

fred

I think you meant Rich Lampright? He authored a bunch of nugget hunting books for various areas of the US. I wonder where he is now? Haven't heard from him in a while. Rich, you out there?

Hey Elmer, if you are driving up you want to get hold of an atlas of Alaska called "the Gazeteer"..it has good maps so you can tell where you are up there. One place comes to mind is Chicken, of course,,,if you are coming up driving,,but if you are flying to Anchorage, then Girdwood is your best bet,,,,even Steve from Steves Mining and Diving Shop goes there because it is close to Anchorage for a day trip. I went over to Hope, AK and it has a stretch along Six Mile river you can prosepect.......what I am trying to say is Alaska has many areas that are open just for recreational panning, dredging, detecting...they are well marked by mileposts so you dont get on someone claim and end up as bear bait...

I also went up to Hatcher Pass to a recreational site along that creek.....

So get the book and talk with the people (Bob) at AK Mining and Dive Shop when you get up to Anchorage. They are over near Merrill Field Airport.

PS I think that Moore's Creek is all sold out for the summer detecting, you could check.

Hope that helps a little.

PAul

Here's an Alaskan forum:

http://www.akmining.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/7-AMDS-Prospecting-Forum

http://www.akmining.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/6-AMDS-Metal-Detecting-Forum

And this Canadian forum is huge and sometimes has good info. on Alaska:

http://www.gpex.ca/smf/index.php

There's another Alaska forum, but they make you pay to get on it:

http://bb.bbboy.net/alaskagoldforum-viewforum?forum=2

Archived