Virginia Nuggets from Saturday and Sunday

Okay, Rob has a bigger nugget but I found more and mine are, LOL, much more attractive! Congrats Rob on a really nice find. I need to get you back east for a real challenge! My biggie was .795 ozt and total for the weekend 2.031 ozt.

Barry

• Admin

Hey Barry,

Very nice finds! Yes they are better looking that the stuff I'm finding. :o Sure looks like you got a hang of that metal detector with the nice finds you have been pulling.

What is some of the history as far as large nuggets being found in that area?

Talk with you later,

Rob Allison

Rob there are a few stories involving large nuggets found years ago but nothing reliable. The Smithsonian has a couple huge nuggets that were discovered at one of the old local mines. I don't know the exact weights but I recall 16 pounds or so.

Without a doubt luck! An old panner told me about and area he had found 12 nuggets in a propsect pit. These are the pieces he missed. The first was approximately 18" down and 10" into the side of the pit. The second was 12" below the first. Afterwards I dug three feet back checking every 8" to 10" to find the rest.

Without a doubt luck! An old panner told me about and area he had found 12 nuggets in a propsect pit. These are the pieces he missed. The first was approximately 18" down and 10" into the side of the pit. The second was 12" below the first. Afterwards I dug three feet back checking every 8" to 10" to find the rest.

I've been thinking about what you said here I've come to the wise conclusion it was more knowledge than luck... :wacko: It may have been a bit of luck that the old panner told you about the pit but it was knowledge in the pit that really found the gold right? Anyhow good find and good luck in the future.

Archived