Waterproofing a Coil

Well, I sold my Eureka and am now using the X-Terra 705. I am thinking of going back to the GB Pro or even the GMT because I REALLY want a DD coil that I can use in streams, creeks, rivers, and generally all water. I know the 9" Coil is waterproof, but how well will it work for finding gold under water in the streams or rivers, etc? Is there a way to waterproof the 10x5 elliptical coil for use under water? Thanks.

• Admin

Hey Chris,

That is correct, the 10-inch elliptical 18.75kHz searchcoil, which is best for gold nugget hunting "is not" waterproof. Some have been told by dealers that this coil is waterproof, but that is not the case. The coil is water resistant, meaning it can be splashed, washed, used in drizzling rain, or moved through wet grass. Must not be submersed under water.

Trying to waterproof a searchcoil will void the factory warranty.

That being said, the 9-inch round coil can still find nuggets. A matter of fact, I just took a customer out this weekend that purchased a X-Terra 705 and he found a gold nugget down about 6-inches with the stock coil.

Hope this helps,

Rob Allison

Well, I sold my Eureka and am now using the X-Terra 705. I am thinking of going back to the GB Pro or even the GMT because I REALLY want a DD coil that I can use in streams, creeks, rivers, and generally all water. I know the 9" Coil is waterproof, but how well will it work for finding gold under water in the streams or rivers, etc? Is there a way to waterproof the 10x5 elliptical coil for use under water? Thanks.

Chris:

In my day I have waterproofed many things.

If the coil is over the warrenty.......

First clean it with a scrubby and windex. Let it dry real good. Or blow it off with compressed air.

Next clean it with laquer thinner and a rag. It will kind of etch the plastic.

Let it dry.

Seal everthing up with good 100% silicone and let that dry. When you'r sealing joints if you can pull it apart a little and get the silicone down in, that is good.

Dig at the edge of the silicone when its dry to see if it is adhering to the plastic. If so...you should be good to go.

Tom

Thanks for the replies. The detector is only a few months old so I guess I will be using the stock coil. Happy Hunting.

Rob is right, the 10.5 DD round is not waterproof in the 18.75 kHz version, however, the 9 inch ROUND Concentric 18.75 kHz coil for gold IS WATERPROOF.

The concentric will give you the same discrimination characteristics of a DD, and pinpinting is a snap.

Doc

Thanks, DOC. I have switched over to the 9" coil and looking forward to using it.

AzOverland....I sold my eureka to help pay for a GP3000, then the seller decided not to sell it after all. I was going to buy a gmt or another GB Pro, but I have almost $2,750 in truck repairs I have to pay for now.

I use the 6" 18.75khz coil on my 705. Its my favorite coil. I've done many tests and the 6" coil picks up the smallest gold. I'm able to detect 0.3g nuggets loud and clear with it. The smallest I could get with the 10.5 coil was 0.5g. So not a huge difference but every bit counts.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks, DOC. I have switched over to the 9" coil and looking forward to using it.

AzOverland....I sold my eureka to help pay for a GP3000, then the seller decided not to sell it after all. I was going to buy a gmt or another GB Pro, but I have almost $2,750 in truck repairs I have to pay for now.

To bad. I just got my WOT 15" coil for the eureka gold. Started in on my side yard tonite, we been pounding it pretty hard with the eureka and extera 705 for weeks. Thought it was pretty well cleaned up, till the WOT. This coil opened up a whole new trash clean up area. :). I see now there is a 15" WOT coming out for the Extera. Gotta get one for the wife.

Or, maybe you didn't t want one that was that big? They are water proof too.

:)

Vertigo, have you use flexseal on a coil?

Yes, worked fine. I wouldn't bet on it if you submerge more than about a foot deep though. The cable entry point is the weakest link. You have to clean the area throughly with alcohol to insure good adhesion.

Archived