GPX-5000 depth

I was wondering if you were hunting at gold basin with a GPX 5000 how deep do you think a 1 gram nugget can be found?

I'm just learning this machine and so far at 6 inches I cannot hear a 1 gram nugget with the machine on general or deep. I don't know what kind of depth I should expect for this size gold. I have everything at the factory settings until I get a little wiser.

Thanks

• Admin

Hey Greg,

There are so many variables with it comes to depth; user, settings, detector, mineralization, coil size are just a few. For the most part, I have found Gram size nuggets at that depth, but they were not screamers.

On gold nuggets under a 1/4 of an ounce, I would recommend Special/Fine Gold or Special/Sensitive/Extra. These settings are great on small gold and small gold at depth. I run my Gain around 11-12 for most areas and still get great depth and sensitivity.

Is going to come down to experimenting with the settings, as all ground conditions vary a bit from one place to another. I can tell you what works best where I'm at, but it might not be the optimized settings for Gold Basin.

On another note, Thanks once again for your business. I know you're going to do very well with the GPX5000.

P.S. Make sure you keep an eye out for meteorites at the Basin also. I've dug some down as deep at 2 foot at the Basin over the years.

Talk with you later,

Rob Allison

Thanks Rob

I didn't get to go to gold basin Saturday so I have been playing around here in Boulder City. I am in the process of picking up all the brass, lead and copper bits that I can find and trying a few settings. I am using the 11 DD right now and reading the manual and everything else I can find. Gold basin next Saturday for sure, find myself a little spot and see what happens.

Greg

• Admin

Hey Greg,

Keep in mind also that the 11-inch stock DD will not get as much depth and sensitivity as the 11-inch Mono you also have. The DD is a great starting point, as it's more stable and more immune to mineralization, but at some point you will probably be using the 11-inch Mono more down the road.

The Commander 11-inch Mono is a great all around prospecting coil. Most detectorist are using coils in the range of 11-15 inch elliptical or round for general prospecting.

The Minelab GPX5000 is a like an EQ, you can dial individual settings up or down depending on the ground mineralization, EMI and what you're looking to achieve more of (depth, sensitivity and such).

Talk with you later,

Rob Allison

Hey Greg,

Congratulations on your 5000, you will love it

and as you learn it bit by bit you will be answering your own questions.

I have seen you hunt and you know what it's all about.

This machine is just a touch different but it is not going to remain a mystery

for long.

I can't wait to hear your story about finding your first nugget with it,

that will be very soon I am sure.

All the best,

Flak

Archived