I am going first time to Rye Patch in a couple of weeks for a few days. I have a travel trailer, GB2, and GPX4000. Can anyone recommend best place to camp, best detector to use, and some explicit directions on where to go, and what roads are best to take to some promising areas. What to expect,,,, I had read on a post that the bugs are real bad, true? Any info and tips will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Freez,

Not the coolest time of the year for that area. Take the Rye Patch exit and there is a State Camp Ground before the river bridge. Camp there they got some tree's! Roads are nice, but dusty. Have fun!

LuckyLundy

Freezn

I just returned from that area today and the roads can be treacherous. The roads are nicely graded but sharp rocks are killer on the tires. Have at least two spare tires for each vehicle and keep the speed down. A friend of mine was there for nine days before I arrived and had three flats, two more after I arrived.

The weather wasn't to bad, a little warm but gets windy in the afternoon. Came home today to pouring rain, can't get more opposite weather.

Have fun.

Wes.

Gotta ditto what Wes said- road is flat and you can do 60 without spilling a drop of coffee (or a beer) but don't! 35 seems the magic speed, don't go over it or you WILL have a blow out!

I 80 east, exit 129,

Go through the park, do not pay fee (unless you want to camp there) after crossing the dam go up a small hill the turn to the left, cross the cattle guard and take a right, stay on

this road till you will cross another cattle guard, after another 5 miles or so, look off to your left (west) and you may see vehicles parked on the placer ground, turn left (west) on a

road marked with a stuffed frog on a dirt pile or any left after the frog pile ( most are marked with a pile of shredded tires) travel up till you see the old / current workings.

There are two method's that work, use the GB and small coil on the pushes and rake the piles or put on your biggest mono on the 4000 and hunt for the deep big juans

Buy something from Peg Leg John , a fossil or crystal. And he may guide you to a good spot. Don't worry he will find you :)

What Shep said is right, you absolutely have to keep the speeds down,

I can attest to getting, and seeing others get, flat tires going over 30-35 mph.

Something about the angle of the shale bedrock seems to produce them.

NV Chris, how 'bout quads, do they have the same problems on the roads?

I think it has more to do with tread style, soft composition and air pressure then speed. The open lugs seem to do much better then the ones with the very narrow grooves.

When I worked at the mines I'd routinely drive 70+ MPH and never had a flat running BFG's

The narrow slits on the tires tend to pick up the thin shale daggers where the open lug, like the BFG mudders don't have any. As for the air pressure a study was done by one of the local mines on the tires used on there small trucks and they found a significant benefit running lower pressure. Theory is the more the tred can flex the better it can spit out the rock fragments and rebound from the larger bits.

I run Ultra Seal in the quads. The tires on my foreman are just about bald and no flats.

I have BFG A/T's and have driven out there many times 70-75mph and no flats, truck runs very smooth over washboard and ruts at that speed. Also run Ultra Seal on the RZR...no flats on that too.

Oh and if you are still running the stock tires on your trailer you will have a flat/flats.

Likely that is why Lucky recommend the campground @ the park

Odds are it will happen after you get back on the highway @ speed.

The first thing you will notice is the smoke in you mirror :( .

trivia question;

Who were the "Original Two man Quartet"?

Haw-ha everyone... Slow or fast speeds. Whatever... It might be the

best to go over the ripples just fast enough to smooth them out. If

you are in 4-wheel drive keep in mind you may kick rocks back under

the frame and damage something such as a brake line.

High pressure or low pressure... More bounce with high pressure. If

low pressure the sidewall may be damaged by a rock. If the sidewall

is compromised the tire is ruined, but may be saved by a skilled tire

shop.

nvchris lives in the area and may know the best... Years ago I saw many deep

potholes in the road that was filled with alkali dust.

Just my thoughts... One thought... if you are driving through what is known as

Trachyte... it was named for the small arrow like spears. My Best... js

Archived