GP3000 need help

Hello fellow detectorist,

I have recently purchased a used gp 3000 and have found that when I am in mono or dd I get a wavy noisy sound all the time, so loud u can hear it with the headphones on the table. When I switch it to cancel mode the regular hum can be heard and dialed in with the threshhold. This was all done via bench test in my basement away from emi, and then verified outside as well. The detector and coil look great and is all stock 11" coil. I am hopeing it is just the coil!! I am going to try a different coil on it tonight to see if it fixes the noisy issue. I have to travel to get to the coil, thats why I havent tried yet. Any help or info much appreciated, Gravelwasher

Hello and thank you for the input, I will take it out to the field soon to see how she sounds. Just to be clear what should I expect to hear in terms of a steady tone vs a wavy tone, sounds like a flute alternating between two notes with an occasional third note? I picked up a wallaby coil for it used in good condition and the machine is much quiter. The threshold knob does work, the previous stock coil is so loud u dont need to put the HP,s on and it stayed about the same noise no matter what position the threshold. The coiltek coil responds very nice to big nails screws and coins etc. but will only give a low noise on half once of flake in a once vial with water... any ideas on this why? Will keep tunning it and getting used to it, let me know what type of noise variations in the signal I should expect to hear. Thanks again for the input, Gravelwasher

Minelabs like to see big gold. The electrical eddy currents the coil creates in the tiny flakes dissapate to quick. So by the time the circuitry swiches into recieve mode, the signal is diminished to nothing. But this is also why minelab PIs run so quiet in mineralized soils.

Welcome to the world of big nugget hunting. Now kick some a$$ and find the big ones!

Also use sensitive setting for best results on the small gold.

Thanks ,Wes and Whylee , :)

Encouraging to hear it should be chattery around the neighborhood, I will take it out and see if it works. I was getting really bummed about this expensive little unit, starting to think the mono and DD option was bad. But with the dif. coil it does act like it wants to work and I understand about the emi, just wasent sure how big of an effect it could have. Thanks again and please any tips or tricks or things to test or try let me know.

The 3000s were good detectors.

I'd recomend starting out by using a small coil like a 10x5" or 14" eliptical.

The small coils pinpoint easily and work good in creeks, as you can jam them in cracks and tight places.

have fun

Thanks all for the input, you were right!!!! and I am happy as can be!!! :)

Took the gp3000 out to the secret spot at the welfare mine, thats what he calls it when he showed me the spot, the detector performed great. The wa waas went to a nice even threshold. The minelab handled the enormous amount of hotrocks and had me digging only on metal targets. I hit five targets after work ; a sub gram lead pc at twelve", two bits of a square nails 7" down, a lead bullet 11" deep, and a small old boot tack about half an inch long and super thin and rusted bad 6" down. Not far to bedrock at the welfare mine so I dident really have the chance to test the depth potential on the coiltek Wallaby. Love my GP3000!!! Thanks guys for the info!!!

Welcome to the world of Nuggetshooting

Make sure your coil covers are clean inside.

No accumulation of dirt/debris.

Remove them inspect /clean and replace them you can use gorilla duct tape to retape them onto the coil

Make sure your lead coil wire is secured tight to the shaft no flopping when you swing.

Get a pair of earphones that are 100 to 150 ohms resistance for quality translation of audio to the brain.

Good Luck Have Fun an Hapy Huntn.

Keep us posted on yer finds.

Getting the coil over the gold, easier said than done..lol I managed to get out to a new spot to me, found a bunch of hidden treasures: square nail, 35 cal round ball, bunch of 22cal lead. and a couple of other bullets. No gold yet, will try some more this weekend, I know its out their somewhere. Super happy with the GP amd its workings, now I can dig trash too..lol Told the wife I was going to do a test and save all my targets and weigh the difference between the first lb of au and all the trash and see what type of ratio I get, she said that would qualify me as a hoarder and I cant keep all the trash I find. Happy hunting!!!

Back at it again this past weekend. Headed out to Omo ranch and detected a bit around Cedar creek. Found a lot of pcs of barbed wire and a bolt. Found out my power cable needed a fix so I am in prep to re solder the plug, it has some cracked insulation around the internal wires. Resorted to panning and found a few flakes, overall a fun day out in the woods.

Keep hitting the creeks, and dont get discourraged. Look for bedrock with cracks. That is the key to creek hunting. Use a small coil because the gold is usually not too deep, in bedrock, and you will be able to get the coil into the tight cracks. If you do that it will just be a matter of time.

For bedrock creek hunting I prefer small elliptical coils. The Joey or nuggetfinder 8x6, 14x7 nuggetfinder or coiltek. These coils have great sensitivity and you will be able to pick out the small gold that the bigger coils ballance out.