Ground Balance the GPX 5000 - A different method?

Hey Folks,

While watching this video, there was a different method of GB the GPX 5K that I personally hadn't seen before. It was delivered by Kevin Hoagland at about 6:20 and was flipping from Fixed to Tracking while pumping the coil, and then back to Fixed. Just throwing this thread out there to see if there are any thoughts on this or if there is any advantage. I personally GB a lot and sometimes every few minutes depending on the ground; but always in Fixed. Cheers!!!!!

Mike

• Admin

Hey Mike,

That is how we had to balance all units before having the "handle with the ground balance" button. I mentioned this awhile back, if you broke your button, you can still ground balance the unit using the same process you just seen by Kevin H. in the video above.

Thanks for bringing it back up again, as it's important for users to know if the button breaks off.

Rob Allison

Thanks Rob for the feedback. Good to know for a quick bush fix. Nothing against KH in that he's one of the Minelab technical experts; but it sounded like this is something that should be done out-of-the-box.

BTW> Nice dig today for you with the 3.25 nugs.

Mike

• 11 months later...
  • Admin

Hello Kyle,

What he is showing is how to reset the "Fast Track" on the Tracking ground balance setting. This don't need to be done in my opinion. If you're using Tracking mode, just start swinging the unit side to side and the unit will automatically track for you. If you want to pump it up and down and press the button to get the beep, that is fine.

When in Fixed, you will need to check from time to time the balance. This can be done by pumping the coil up and down while holding the button. Once you get a smooth threshold sound (normally 2-3 seconds), let the button up and you're ground balanced.