Anyone have a picture of the Pulse Devil?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi QldSandy,

Just a quick question requiring a yes/no answer.

Do you believe Minelab and their very expensive detectors are above scrutiny ?

regards

bugwhiskers

Bugwhiskers,

You are NOT going to get a yes or no answer to that question. You just cannot help yourself can you?

The price of a detector is up to the individual to decide whether or not it is "very expensive". The pricing has been done to detah many times previously, and quite frankly, I am tired of seeing the same old rubbish brought to bear by the same old people who seem to be stuck in the same old rut.

For mine, the pricing is fine, as ALL my Minelab detectors have paid for themselves many times over. Others may have different ideas about that.

How about I rephrase the question for you.

Do I believe Minelab detectors are above scrutiny ?

Before I answer that, this would apply to any detector.

NO.

All detectors are deserving of scrutiny. Scrutiny I said, just to be perfectly clear.

Bashing and plain picking to pieces does not qualify as scrutiny. Speculation about features that nothing is known about, also does not qualify. Harping on about something that most all operators know about and are fine with is not scrutiny as well.

I have no problems with peculiararities about a detector being brought to peoples attention, but continual harping is another thing altogether. There is a fine line between scrutiny and bashing, and some need to learn where the line is. Cheers.

Bugwhisker

Everybody here is on a forum that is run by a Minelab Dealer. Rob has never said anything about us not talking about other detectors on here but I myself think it's wrong if one of us start kicking a item he sales.That we all know is Minelab and it's been good to him in the gold he has found,thats why he sales it.With the big package that Rob gives with the Minelab I'd say his profit off the detector is small.

I myself have said I don't like the price but I can put up the money are shut up.This will be a interesting year with all the new PI's hitting the market and seeing how they compare to Minelab because it's the top of the line of PI's at this time.

I could be wrong on this but if one of these new detectors are as good as minelab I'd want to be selling the top two nugget hunting detectors on the market and Rob may want to also.

So I say if you can't say nothing good about Minelab here then don't say nothing at all.I do this out of respect of Rob and his business.

Chuck

Bugwhisker

Everybody here is on a forum that is run by a Minelab Dealer. Rob has never said anything about us not talking about other detectors on here but I myself think it's wrong if one of us start kicking a item he sales.That we all know is Minelab and it's been good to him in the gold he has found,thats why he sales it.With the big package that Rob gives with the Minelab I'd say his profit off the detector is small.

I myself have said I don't like the price but I can put up the money are shut up.This will be a interesting year with all the new PI's hitting the market and seeing how they compare to Minelab because it's the top of the line of PI's at this time.

I could be wrong on this but if one of these new detectors are as good as minelab I'd want to be selling the top two nugget hunting detectors on the market and Rob may want to also.

So I say if you can't say nothing good about Minelab here then don't say nothing at all.I do this out of respect of Rob and his business.

Chuck

Chuck, only one new PI this year, the Whites. The Nevermis is never going to make it this year!!!

Group: Members

Member No.: 1,447

QUOTE(bugwhiskers @ Apr 7 2008, 11:33 AM)

Hi QldSandy,

Just a quick question requiring a yes/no answer.

Do you believe Minelab and their very expensive detectors are above scrutiny ?

regards

bugwhiskers

Bugwhiskers,

You are NOT going to get a yes or no answer to that question. You just cannot help yourself can you?

The price of a detector is up to the individual to decide whether or not it is "very expensive". The pricing has been done to detah many times previously, and quite frankly, I am tired of seeing the same old rubbish brought to bear by the same old people who seem to be stuck in the same old rut.

For mine, the pricing is fine, as ALL my Minelab detectors have paid for themselves many times over. Others may have different ideas about that.

How about I rephrase the question for you.

Do I believe Minelab detectors are above scrutiny ?

Before I answer that, this would apply to any detector.

NO.

All detectors are deserving of scrutiny. Scrutiny I said, just to be perfectly clear.

Bashing and plain picking to pieces does not qualify as scrutiny. Speculation about features that nothing is known about, also does not qualify. Harping on about something that most all operators know about and are fine with is not scrutiny as well.

I have no problems with peculiararities about a detector being brought to peoples attention, but continual harping is another thing altogether. There is a fine line between scrutiny and bashing, and some need to learn where the line is. Cheers.

Bugwhiskers,

In reference to the post in the link below;

daniizoe post

Let me make it perfectly clear that I did not begrudgingly agree with you at all. I stated it as I saw it and I suggest that you read the above once again and this time, omit the spin you like to use.

So bugwhiskers, of gold prospecting metal detectors currently available for sale brand new on the market today, what do you recommend a serious gold prospector purchase for use in heavily mineralized soil?

Steve Herschbach

Hi Steve,

No trick question that one. Of course its a new GPX4500.

If you ask me the same question in 2 months time the answer may be different.

This answers your question but the story doesn't end there.

There is absolutely nothing morally wrong with scutiny especially when consumers best interests are involved. If with my electronic knowledge I can see people paying too much or too frequently and say nothing then I should be more accursed.

Microsoft have by far the lions share of the PC market for Operating Systems. When was the last time you heard anyone sing their praises? Consider the profits they have made over the years, can you see the expected benefits in their current product?

No matter how much you love a company or it's products there comes a point when the price is too high and the improvements over the last model just aren't good enough, then you revolt. I just reached my threshold a little earlier than you.

regards

bugwhiskers

Bugwhisker

I'd say we all know that Minelab is over price but at the same time they are the only company that had the ball's to step up and make a detector that we could use in all this bad ground to find gold.

It's been just this year for the first time that another company will put out a PI(maybe) detector.I'm all for them and I hope they are as good as Minelab.I may buy one but I'm in hopes that this will bring Minelab price down and I can buy it too.

Whites been testing it's PI for a long time and I'm glad they are making sure they have it right the first time but now I think time is running out.It needs to hit the market soon because if most of us put up money for a Minelab they for sure won't be buying a Whites are Pulse Devil.

You won't find one company that don't drip feed but thats what keeps us coming back for more of the same.We all like to have the latest and greatest and if Minelab came out with a up date somebody would buy it.

If you want to kick some detector company then kick Whites and Dave Emery for not coming to our aid sooner. :blink:

Chuck

Hi bugwhiskers,

Thank you for your response. I have no problem with scrutiny. But where is the practical alternative? I can complain all I want about Microsoft Windows. I can tell people they should just use Linux instead. But for many people that is not a viable alternative as Windows has many software packages that only run on windows.

So you can scrutinize Minelab all you want and it does not change the fact there is not any real alternative at this time for those wanting top level performance. I do think your idea that any improvement in a product is an admission that the prior product was defective and that the manufacturer should be held liable is ludicrous. Were that type of thinking become the norm all progress would screech to a halt.

Was the Goldscan 5 defective because Eric came out the the GS5B? Should he have not did more testing and come out with the B version first? But what now since we have the GS5C? Is Eric drip-feeding us technology?

I would make the case he is continuing to work on and improve his product based on feedback from people using his product.

Do you really think Minelab pays attention to people like you who admittedly are not users of their product? The only people they should be listening to are all the people purchasing and using their product. We are their customers. You are not. They have to please us to keep us buying. You, they will never make happy.

Anyway, Dave educated me about Tall Poppy Syndrome. In Australia, a tall poppy is a successful person or achiever who, as a result, is the target of jealousy and grudging remarks. The professed goal is to deflate these people or organizations and level society.

It highlights an inherent difference in our two societies. Americans admire success and strive to emulate it. Some people gripe about Microsoft but most Americans admire a guy like Bill Gates who started in his garage with nothing but his brains and built one of the most successful companies in history. And who today is on his way to being one of the greatest philanthropists ever. He has a ways to go in inflation adjusted dollars to catch up to guys like Andrew Carnegie, but he is just getting started.

Australians try to take down those who succeed. Where is the will to strive and succeed to survive in the face of becoming a pariah because of that very success? Americans try to claw their way to the top. Australians seem to want to pull those at the top down to their level.

Therein lies the odd circumstance of us Americans defending Minelab while you, an Australian, try and tear them down. Our responses are probably tempered by the fact we'd just as soon it was an American company leading the industry in this technology. I'm annoyed that the U.S. companies were so complacent as to let this upstart foreign company invade a market we once 100% dominated. I can just imagine the response you'd get if Minelab was an American company and you waded in here with your complaints.

Steve Herschbach

This is not really related, but Bill Gates actually bought the first version of windows off another guy. The myth that he was some poor guy that had no money refuses to die. He came from a wealthy family, his dad was a lawyer and his mother served on the board of United Way. His Charity is actually racist against White folks, "Reducing financial barriers for African-American, Hispanic American, American Indian/Alaska Native and Asian Pacific Islander American students with high academic and leadership promise who have a significant financial need" but that is another topic altogether. It was Hewlett Packard which was started in a garage. Sorry to get off topic.....

Hewlett Packard was started in a garage in Palo Alto in the 40's.

APPLE also started as a garage brewing group interested in computer technology in the 70's... Steve Jobs didn't even create the interface that made Apple what it is today, Steve Wozniack (who worked for HP) was the man who designed the system, Jobs put it in a box... Notice how the interface has changed very little, while the box changes daily...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Apple

BTW giving money to minorities is not racist against white people... Unless you believe that not giving money to minorities is racist as well... Which we would all be guilty of, except for Bill Gates...

Now the student loan system is in fact racist against white people, because if your white, you get nothing, been there and done that... I always checked the 'other' box instead of 'caucasian' since I don't see myself as asian at all... :P

And a quick note on wikipedia, did you know anyone can edit wikipedia? I would never rely on wikipedia as a reliable source of information.

The stuff I found on Wiki was sound enough regarding the time and location of HP and Apple... Sure anyone can send in an edit, but it is checked for accuracy before it goes public...

I see your point about race, and I find it interesting that whites, the minority, call the majority the minority, goes to show you who's trying to run the show.... Or at least lying to keep their place in society through whatever means possible...

While you may think the Gates are suffering from white guilt, well at least that is better from the false sense of white superiority which plagues many today...

Personally I think Bill Gates should be giving back to the people that made him stinking rich, the consumers. How about an operating system that actually operates!!! And things that work for longer than a few months before they begin to break or not work with the OS anymore like the XBox 360 which dies after a year ...

Keep dreaming about your other than Minelab gold machines, sure they will come out but I don't see the Nemisis being produced in large enough quantities then there is the White's machines, if that ever comes out it will be produced in quantity but there is no real measure of how it works...

You could pick up a Eric Foster Gold Scan if your set against the tried and true ML machines...

You think the X-Terra is poorly made, take a look at the Fisher F75, a made in America overpriced flimsy plastic POS that makes the X-Terra feel stout and sturdy, it works great but Fisher didn't have anything to do with that side of it. (I still don't know why folks think the X-Terra is a good gold machine, it isn't even that good of a turf machine)... I learned long ago that buying the mid tier tool was the wrong way to get good work done...

JW

Oh and yeah I like Minelab, it happens to be the best out there right now, sorry...

Hey MrE, why do you feel a need to make this personal? Typical liberal approach to a discussion you do not like, simply label the person a racist a move on. Nice try. Are you unable to address the points I have made in this thread? Would you take the same approach if an organization gave funds to every race besides Blacks? I bet you would by screaming about how racist it is. Hypocrisy at its finest! Point out one racist statement I have made in this discussion.

Bob, I'm not a liberal. If you want to discuss my beliefs you can send me a personal e-mail. I come to this forum for information about prospecting and metal detecting. I don't want to hear about how disadvantaged you are because you're white. So am I. I also grew up relatively poor. I had to borrow most of the money required to obtain my bachelors and masters degrees, but that doesn't mean I begrudge someone else who is fortunate enough to have a person like Bill Gates on his side, whatever his color. I won't respond in this thread again, but if you are compelled to continue please send me a PM.

But this is way off topic, so this will be my last post in this thread and my apologies to the OP and everyone else for getting side tracked.

You will find this if you look back about seven of his posts, :lol: AzNuggetBob

Overpriced, like American cars and trucks assembled in Mexico, but labeled as made in the USA...? :lol:

$4000 is not a whole lot of money for a good machine, $35,000 for something that really is a piece of junk is what I would call expensive...

America is the land of outsourcing, so let's all join along and be good hypocritical americans now, ready, 1,2,3...

Minelab could have not released the SD2000 and just worked on it for 10 more years and released a GP3500 instead. But how would that have benefited anyone?

Excellent point.

I need a PI unit with better disc and truly that is the only thing you've offered that I care about. If it does that, just get me one ASAP. It looks great in the photos but I'd rather see one in my hands.

Amen to that. I don't think anyone on the planet will disagree with that.