Can Someone Please Identify This For Me?

I have been out with my Gold Bug Pro trying to get lucky again where I found my very first nugget. While in the area I found an old mine ABOVE the wash where I found the nugget and it had this stuff all over the inside of it. After doing some research I found that the mine is not currently active and does not have a current claim, or owner, so I took a couple of pieces to see if someone here could possibly tell me what it is and if it is worth pursuing? I did find out that the mine was a gold producing mine from the late 1800's. I have never seen gold ore in person so I am just curious as to what this is. The mine shafts are FILLED with quartz veins, and the inside in some places looks like you're standing in a rainbow. Any ideas? Thanks in advance and I hope everyone is doing well!!!

Chris Coffee

post-33015-0-62955800-1379967780_thumb.jpost-33015-0-35700400-1379967786_thumb.jpost-33015-0-06902600-1379967792_thumb.jpost-33015-0-93839700-1379967796_thumb.j

Thats what I was hoping to hear, gentleman. It is definitely vein material because there are numerous, and some HUGE, veins of this stuff all through the mine. Thank you for the responses.

• Admin

Hey Chris,

Looks like the typical gold or silver ore in the Southwest. It's hard to tell by looking unless you see VG (visible gold). You can by a cheap dolly pot (mortar and pedestal) and crush some of the better stuff up. Normally the more rotten, vuggy iron stained ore can be the best.

Hope this helps,

Rob Allison

Rob,

It certainly does help. Thank you for responding. I have been looking for one of the large mortar & pestle sets locally but nobody around me carries them. Trying to devise a method to crush it up without losing a lot of it. I also have an appointment with my old college professor next Tuesday for him to test it in his lab and see what all is in it. Hope you are doing well, buddy!

Chris

• Admin

Hey Chris,

You don't have to spend much if you want to crush small amounts of ore for sampling purposes. Something very simple, a 1/4 plate of iron and a small sledge hammer (single jack) will do the job. The biggest part is trying to keep the pieces from flying all over the place, so having edges helps.

If you can have someone make you a tube about 3-4 inches in diameter welded to a plate below, then you can have someone make a masher. You can load pieces of ore in the tube, stand up and then use a rod with a heavy flat weight on the bottom about an inch smaller than the tube and crush the crap out of ore. I had several of these build for very little to nothing if you know someone that welds. Once you crush the ore down to a powder, then turn over the tube and plate, wack with a hammer ane all your ore that is down to a dust can be panned out.

Even better is if you have sides welded to the base plate. Then at the base of the tube drill small holes so the powder drops out of the holes as you are pulverizing it and collects in the base plate with the sides. Something like a shallow tray.

Doc

Hey Chris,

You don't have to spend much if you want to crush small amounts of ore for sampling purposes. Something very simple, a 1/4 plate of iron and a small sledge hammer (single jack) will do the job. The biggest part is trying to keep the pieces from flying all over the place, so having edges helps.

If you can have someone make you a tube about 3-4 inches in diameter welded to a plate below, then you can have someone make a masher. You can load pieces of ore in the tube, stand up and then use a rod with a heavy flat weight on the bottom about an inch smaller than the tube and crush the crap out of ore. I had several of these build for very little to nothing if you know someone that welds. Once you crush the ore down to a powder, then turn over the tube and plate, wack with a hammer ane all your ore that is down to a dust can be panned out.

Hey Rob,

Funny you should mention having someone make me one of those crushers...LOL! This was my experience with that very same situation today:

I went to the only welding shop that we have in town today and showed the gentleman this http://www.blackcatmining.com/mining-equipment/lg-crusher.cfm and asked him if he could make one for me. I figured I would spend the money to support a local business. After giving him the same dimensions as the one in the link, he proceeded to tell me that if I gave him a deposit that he could do one for me for $500!! Yes, $500! I showed him the page again and even pointed out that I could buy the crusher for $92 after shipping, and at that point he told me that if I wanted it from him that it would be he $500. I can buy the same one on eBay (which I am going to do) for $66 after shipping, so it totally blew me away that he gave me such an asinine price.

Hey DOC,

Good to see you in on the convo, my friend! Hope all is well with you, too! Looks like I may be making a trip to see you soon. :D

It seems to be a fact in todays world, whenever you call someone to get a price on something you better be sitting down.
they all want to "retire" on 1 jobs profit.
I have a dollypot made from a hydrolic ram. It was cut to length and a heavy steel plate welded to the bottom a handle on the side. And the actual ramrod is used to pulverize. Works quite well.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi chris! good to see your still in the game.as for your local weld shop shame on them. better you use a 5lb sledge hammer in a confined space by cutting out the bottom of a five gallon bucket no need to slam the material, just let the dead weight of the hammer do the work for you. worked for me, call me so we can hook-up as I have moved closer to Barstow I now live in Murrieta. talk to you soon.

Terry

Terry,

Good to hear from you. Can you please call or text me tomorrow so I can get your number again? I had my last cell phone stolen and lost all my contacts. I am in the works to buy another GPX5000 and would love to get out there sometime once I get it. Thanks.