Training with new Customer and Short Hunt = 6 Nuggets

• Admin

Hello All,

Yesterday (Saturday) my partner and I took Steve M. from New Mexico out for field instructions on his Minelab GPX 4500. We meet Steve around the Stanton, Arizona area at 8am and headed to the hunt location at the base of Rich Hill. Steve was no newbie to metal detecting, as he showed us a nice collection of gold from New Mexico that he found with the Minelab already. Steve wanted to get a refresher and get an idea how we hunt the Rich Hill area as he comes out a couple times per year to hunt some of the club claims.

After about an hour of running over the settings and controls on the GPX 4500, Steve was ready to hit the goldfield. We all gathered our gear and spread out over a larger area where we found nuggets before. Within 15 minutes, my partner yelled out he had a small one. This gave Steve, myself and another friend some motivation the nuggets were there to be found. There was an abundance of old workings around, so some worked around the workings, while i decided to hit the higher banks that potentially shed gold down into the drainages thousands of years ago.

About an hour later, my partner hit two more nuggets, in the same area. He said he thought one was over a Dwt, the other two were smaller ones. I yelled over to Steve, "telling him we need to get on it!" :P

Finally, as I was coming down a bank that had some workings, I heard a really faint wobble. I had a good feeling it might be gold due to the location and sound. After a few inches, the sound got much better. At this time, a friend walked up and watched me dig the potential nugget out of the ground. After about 12 inches down, I hit bedrock and the target was still there, which is always a good sign for the most part. Low and behold, a nice 3.4 Dwt was extracted from the bedrock .... EUREKA!! :o

I wondered around the area for another good hour, with my friend working the outskirts, but none of us could turn up another piece of gold among the scattered rubbish from the old-timers.

Later, we decided to hit another location down lower and Steve was able to score two smaller nuggets (shown below). Steve seems pretty excited to a few nuggets from this area and seemed to walked away with a good understanding on how to work this area.

Steve, thanks for all the business, even though you didn't purchase your GPX from us .... LOL :spank: If you ever have any questions, don't hesitate to call or email us anytime.

It was great to get back into the goldfields and find a nugget myself. I'm pretty pumped to do some nugget hunting this year. Below is my partner's and I take from the day. Three on left are his, mine is on the right.

Metal Detectors used, Steve - GPX 4500 with NF 12-inch coil, My partner was using the GPX 5000 with NF 14x9 Mono, Friend was using the SD2100V2 with Joey 10x5 Mono and I was using the GPX 5000 with Coiltek Blitz 14x9 Mono.

Wishing you all a bunch of success out there!

Rob Allison

Dang nice nug there Rob!
WTG :)

Good to hear your going to do some more nugget hunting......well, good for you...not for me! :)
Dad and I took the pet skunk out today.

It was a good time out....but no yellow stuff.
Tom H.

• Admin

Hey Guys,

Thanks!

Grubstake - I will tell him. That weekend we actually talked about the Mariposa trip and how it was a blast with you. Wish we could do it again.

Tom - It felt like a skunk day for me that morning, as I didn't feel 100%. After I got hiking around and Dennis popped the first nugget, then the second and third, I knew it was time to wake up! :P

What a great way to start the new season Rob! Steve M is a very successful detectorist in his own right. His New Mexico finds are some of the most beautiful natural nuggets I've ever seen. It's a real tribute to your experience and ability to have prospectors of his caliber seeking you out for instruction. B)

Rob,

Thank you for being so gracious and taking the extra time on Saturday to teach an old dog some new tricks! I had a blast with you and Dennis at Rich Hill...I day I'll long remember with new friends. :)

As this was the first time we've met, I can say that Rob is one of the best technical and practical instructors I've come across. He's knowledgeable and passionate about nuggethunting. I'm glad you had a chance to pull out the big nugget that day...It's a keeper!

I will be sending some real Hatch green chili (for both of you) when I get back home! I hope to see you again next time.

Thanks,
Steve. :D

• Admin

Hey Steve,

Thanks for the comments. Dennis and I both share a passion for metal detecting, but also love to help others succeed.

It was great having you out and I'm glad you were able to score a few nuggets to boot.

We are always here if you have any questions.

Keep in touch!

Rob Allison