Nome Bound - Any Tips?

Heading to Nome, AK in a couple of weeks to chase nuggets on the AKAu Resort Any tips from you folks that have been in the area before? The only place I've chased nuggets is AZ so I have to thank Rob for kick starting me in to detecting for gold with the GPX 5K a few years ago. I'm guessing it shouldn't be too much different with the same low and slow techniques. Taking four different size coils 16" Coiltek down to a Sadie. Got tons of skeeter repellent so I shouldn't need any blood transfusions. I've been to the NW Territories fishing on the McKenzie river so been up there before but never to Alaska.

Cheers!!

Mike

Hi Mike

I can't say how good it would be nugget hunting on the beach of Nome. If you do work some on the beach there you take a look in your pan and think you see lots of gold. Then you clean it and clean it but after all of your hard work you have next to nothing. The only other place I've seen gold as fine as Nome is in Colorado.

I did see some nice nuggets come out of the ground and that was because we had equipment to take layer after layer off the top.

Hope you got time to stay awhile. That sun will be standing over your head all the time. It will be a big change for you and it takes time for you to get acclimated .

The weather can get bad and stay longer than you'd like. If the weather is good you should be okay with a long sleeve and wind breaker. Carry something to keep your feet dry and you plus your detector.

Oh don't forget your hand gun.

Chuck Anders

Gotcha Grubstake!!! And the bars where they hang out.

Thanks Chuck!! Going to be up by Anvil Creek most of the time and got the weather gear too. I got around 10 days up there so I'm going to push the coil around as many hours of the day I can stand it. Then go some more.

• Admin

Hey Mike,

Anvil Creek has produced some massive gold nuggets over the years. Not sure where their operation is on Anvil, but it's a good nugget area. I heard they let some locals come out and hunt for a fee and some have done well. My guess is there might be some tailings, but I think they do some moving of dirt, so check anywhere that might be close to bedrock.

@ Adam, I talked to Shawn a couple of times. Seems he likes to do some dry washing on a dry lake bed somewhere. So he's still around.

Hey Rob, Anvil Creek is a couple hundred yards from the camp. It sounds like we'll but hunting a the creek and a little of everything including pushing some old tailings around. Like I always say what I don't find in gold I burn up in calories.

Mike

What is the cost to fly to Nome? Just the flights, not anything else.

Reason I ask, I have a relative in that town that wants me to come up to show him how to use his Minelab GP3000...

He also has legal access to some native claims in the area...

Thanks! Gary

Thanks! I will have to check with the airlines, at least you have given me some idea.

A nice nugget would pay for that, maybe more! Just getting out of town would be a relief.

Have Fun!

Gary/Largo

• Admin

Hey Mike,

I believe a friend of mine went to that same operation last year for a week. He mentioned it was right outside of Nome and sounds like the same spot. He said he rounded up a few ounces of gold working the old piles and a recent scrap along the creek. You might do well there with the Minelab. Keep us updated if you would. Might be a great place for some of us to escape next year in maybe a group setting.