Steve H's Over Caffeinated, Hi-nrg, Maxed Out Zed Settings Find Virgin Patch In Gold Basin

Well after getting skunked on my usual areas in Gold Basin today, I was getting the feeling that maybe I should try something new (I move around a lot, as people who detect with me will attest). If I'm not on colour or it feels wrong, I'll move at times several miles and start again.....

So, I went to an area that I'd been hoping to try again after being chased out by trash last time.... it dawned on me today, why....  I got out of the truck, did a quick walk up to the side of the hill/bench and fired up Zeddie.... but this time, I thought... I'm not getting skunked today.... let's crank this bad boy up.... I had been running at sense of 10-15 today, depending on the area..... I thought to myself, let's give Steve's Mac Daddy Go Big or Go Home settings a run... In all honesty I'm usually running very similar settings, minus his hi gain. Well up it went.... wow, noise much but I figured.... I had nothing to lose,  I'm learning the machine this Summer, I might as well see if i can get use to running super hot..... I did a quick ground balance and away I went... I got less than 10' and heard angels (well, ok, maybe it wasn't angel's but you all know the sound).... BOOOOOO YAAAAAAAAAAA nice rough little nuggy DEEEEEEEP.

I proceeded to do a little "Beat the skunk, thank you Steve's settings" dance in circles..... as I was filling in the hole it struck me, why wasn't this found, out in the middle of a huge wide area, easy target... oh well.... then I commenced detecting..... and as I wandered and dug HEAPS of small trash that should have been dug by detectors before me, it dawned on me...... and then... mid thought... WOOOOOOOOOO WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO oh man.... a pop can, like I need another one of those..... and down I dug...... hmmmm when did gophers start drinking soda, this thing is deep.... and then out came a 73 grain chunk.... oh yea.. oh yea... who your daddy!!!! :tongue:

I then realized, I'd found my first virgin patch, and on Gold Basin no less...... 20 sensitivity is my new normal....... wow, what a huge difference... I've gone from hating a chatty threshold to now realising the power that same noise has.....

It was getting late, the patch is hard to get to/from in the dark so I left..... this story will be continued.... (I hope)

I'll post updated cleaned pics after they get a bath. $324.00 at $50.00 a gram... I may have an extra ice tea tonight at dinner.

Thank you Steve........ for your continued reference in some of your posts (including your one recently with the shovel in it) where you mention this may be an option for some.... it was for me today and is my new norm.

Jen

gold 3.jpg

gold 4.jpg

gold 1.jpg

gold 2.jpg

Edited by jjbond
  • Like 1

Cleaned in CLR and ultrasonic. Iphone camera never does gold justice in photos.

It's hard to tell in the photos but that little one turned out to be a GORGEOUS little speci... love it.

IMG_2691.JPG

IMG_2692.JPG

IMG_2690.JPG

IMG_2693.JPG

Edited by jjbond
  • Like 2

• Admin

Hey Jen,

Congrats on the new nuggets.  I haven't tried Steve's settings, but I know for the most part on the ground I hunt, an increase in Gain/Sensitive means more ground noise.  I have done well working with a Gain around 10-14, depending on the ground conditions.  I have found plenty of small gold missed by my GPX 5000 that I'm finding down 10-12 inches.  The biggest piece so far with my GPZ 7000 is the 6.8 ounce specimen (4.2 ounces of gold) at nearly 3 foot deep.  

Then again, maybe I'm missing gold not using those super hot settings ...... :wacko:

• Like 1

• Admin

Hey Jen,

I'm sure I'm missing a few pieces here and there, but feel I'm getting the majority of them.  Many of these pieces I have missed for 10 years with prior detectors, just reaching down to depths to get the ones I'm getting now.  

That being said, I have noticed in places in Northern Nevada and even Gold Basin I was always able to run a much hotter detector than other locations.  I could even run the GoldBug 2 all out in Northern Nevada where it struggles big time on the ground I'm working now with the GPZ. 

• Like 1

I agree, here in GB on sens 20 the 7000 is surprisingly quiet, (it was much noisier in Dry Patch) especially today for some reason. Must be the lack of Great Gash (Grand Canyon) Tour helicopters out today.

Edited by jjbond