Bring a four legged friend?

Does anyone bring their dog(s) with them out metal detecting?

Since i'm so new to all this and my dog has never been outside off a leash yet i'm hesitant to take him with me. But i know he'd love every "sniff!

How do you keep them away from cactus? I'm assuming you can't.

Hi my name is Boomer! I'm 3yrs old and my owner thinks i'm a american staff./sharpei.

boom1.jpg.1e9e75d2f7ba2b9e7251ac9e018789af.jpg

I want to go prospecting really bad with my owner, he likes to dig rocks and i like to smell them. I don't think he'll let me go because he thinks I will smell this plant called a cactus and my mouth will end up looking like a angry porcupine.

I've begged to go...

boom4.JPG.b7ac6c0cbb24e1709e0a54e33d998f3c.JPG

Occasionally I sneak inside this motorized human buggy.

boom2.jpg.440a688ce9b2f6c00ad36647ddf04e4a.jpg

I also got crazy and found my own buggy.

boom5.JPG.f27ece3d9af056ab8006f07b778f5ee2.JPG

Edited by garikfox

I took my Lab Brownie with me in So Cal when it was cooler and not in AZ due to the cactus.  She would walk ahead of me, lay down and wait for me to hunt to her like clockwork.  She would keep me warm at night in the Jeep during colder nights.  RIP

Brown Nugget 

B0CD30A5-F7A7-4358-BA31-23277FF3100A.png

Edited by BrownNugget
Added pic
  • Like 1

• Admin

Hey Garik,

Over the years I have had many friends bring their dogs with them, small and large.  However, like BrownNugget mentioned, they all at some point got cactus all over them.  You also have to worry about Rattlesnakes, as Dogs are curious and will try to smell or even attack them.  I know a few guys that lost their dogs to Rattlesnake bits out in the desert.  

You have a beautiful dog there, would hate for anything to happen to him.  

Same to you Brown Nugget, good looking Lab. 

If you should ever decide to come up into the Prescott National Forest,  rattlesnakes and cactus aren't really a problem.  The animal that will attack a dog in a second is a javelina.  And if your dog is young, inexperienced and curious, he is going to get gored;...and those peckories don't back down one bit.  My prospecting dog (Roxie...RIP) learned the hard way about this.  She looked almost like your dog, only much bigger;she was part pit bull.     

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Guys who are concerned about rattlers with their dogs need to take them to a genuine snake avoidance trainer that uses real rattlers in the training ... Some so called trainers use gopher snakes ... They don't smell the same and when used in training it's a bad joke ... I took our rescue pup, Shadow Patch, to "Viper Avoidance" in New River, AZ ... That was 6 years ago and he's still trained to, not just avoid, but to haul ass in the opposite direction ... He came close to one in the bush last year and he couldn't butt scoot out of the area fast enough ... If you're gonna take your pup out, get the legit training... Cheers, Unc

• Like 1

I don't know, Ron. A vet awhile back said that 50% of the rattler-bitten dogs he saw had had the exposure training. The problem is the dog runs around, and gets too close and is bitten before the snake has a chance to rattle. Personally, I rarely take Heidi into snake country when they are active. Gold isn't worth the risk IMHO.

Jim

I agree, Jim, but I had to get Patch trained because we have had many rattlers around our home and property...He ran into one last spring and absolutely hauled ass away from it...He goes by smell, not buzz...We have so many rattlers around it's ridiculous here in Wickenburg!  Lost our border collie to one and then our old cat...And most of the rattlers around here are Mojave greens...Nasty ass snakes! ... Cheers, Unc

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

No way would I suggest NOT getting the training. if it were available close to here, I'd have Heidi trained too. I keep her rattler immunity shots up to date, too. I can't imagine living in a place that has that many. A dog is too important a part of my life. We have western rattlers here....not near as nasty as yours, and and mostly out on the desert, so they can be easily avoided by not going out there from May 1 to November 1. I've thought of going out and getting one to train Heidi myself, but avoiding them is easier. Not much gold out there anyway, other than stage robbery loot....LOL

Jim

• Admin

Hey Guys,

I had a few hunting friends that would take their dogs out prospecting and hunting for big game.  That being said, they were all training by real Rattlesnakes.  One of the guys lost his bird dog, the dog got too close and curious and got struck on the nose and passed a day later.  I'm not sure why some dogs trained by Rattlesnakes will still get near them, I guess it depends on the dog and the situation.  

If I owned a dog and was doing the desert thing with him, I would want to make sure he is trained by a real Rattlesnake(s) if possible.  I never realized that the snakes have different smells, but it makes perfect sense.