Part 2 - Dig, Shovel, Rake & Metal Detecting For Gold Nuggets - Video

• Admin

Hey Guys,

Been getting a lot of questions on this method of digging, raking and metal detecting.   Some have asked if you can do it anywhere and the answer would be Yes, but you might not find anything.  I normally only use this method when we have found some nuggets concentrated in a small area, normally in a dry wash bottom.  We have dug out nugget patches on the sides of the hills and benches also, but normally when mother nature does the work for you in the washes, you could have better luck in the right spots.  

We normally use two metal detectors, one for depth due to pockets and deeper crevices and a very sensitive detector like a VLF or now the GPX 6000.  In our case we normally use the following tools -

• Minelab GPZ 7000 with the Nugget Finder Z Search coil 12"
  • Minelab GPX 6000 Metal Detector with the 11" Mono coil
  • Garrett AT Pinpointer (find this one to be the most sensitive to small gold)
  • A couple of good digging picks, we use Apex and Doc's pick with super magnets 
  • Large metal rake with metal handle, any other rake is junk and will break quickly
  • Plastic Scoops for recovery
  • Small crevices tools like screwdrivers
  • Plastic straw or narrow hose to blow out cracks/crevices
  • Battery Powered Hammer Drill with Chisel Bit 
  • Also, whatever PPE, but we recommend eye glasses, good gloves and even hearing protection if you are using the hammer drill a bunch

Hope you all enjoy.  Keep in mind, this method has been using since the beginning of placer mining.  It's not something we came up with, we just customized it with more modern day tools and technology to make it profitable in some areas to recover more gold.  

You can also add a good Drywasher and Vac-Pac to the mix if you want to work the gravels for smaller gold.  In some areas you might be tossing out ounces of small gold you can't even see. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Rob you need to livin  your forum up some so it doesnt go MIA or stagnate any further than it has-Theres not very many good gold forums around-I only go to a few one is  very informative but the owner is-well thats another story:blink:- and the other one talks more about things not gold related and I dont do social media I guess Im screwed-Thx:ph34r: PS-I do enjoy the Videos B)

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • Admin

Hey Mike,

I agree, I love to talk gold, hunt for gold and help others.  Any suggestions on getting the forums hopping again, I'm all hears.  There are some great guys, like yourself out there, willing to help and share your own experiences.  I appreciate all you guys/gals, so I'm all ears on how we can get some good attention back.  

I agree with some of the other forums, I think they are more concerned about traffic and more members rather than the true content.  The smaller forums seem to have the more experienced guys and less BS and non-related topics.  

I have one major forum, the Gold Prospecting/Metal Detecting one.  I don't need 20 others forums to explain how to build a drywasher and such .... LOL 

• Like 3

On 9/20/2021 at 2:12 PM, nuggethunting said:

Hey Mike,

I agree, I love to talk gold, hunt for gold and help others.  Any suggestions on getting the forums hopping again, I'm all hears.  There are some great guys, like yourself out there, willing to help and share your own experiences.  I appreciate all you guys/gals, so I'm all ears on how we can get some good attention back.  

I agree with some of the other forums, I think they are more concerned about traffic and more members rather than the true content.  The smaller forums seem to have the more experienced guys and less BS and non-related topics.  

I have one major forum, the Gold Prospecting/Metal Detecting one.  I don't need 20 others forums to explain how to build a drywasher and such .... LOL 

IMO you need to be more active on YOUR forums than the other guys forum-Start there first-:ph34r:

• Like 1