Hunting around old Prospects/Mines

• Admin

Hello All,

I never cared much for hunting around old prospects, mines or dumps. It always seems like they are loaded with trash or at least the surrounding area. However, I know in the right locations it can be very rewarding to the electronic prospector.

Many years ago I found a small, overlooked dry placer location. The area had several small prospects throughout the rolling hills. After many days of prospecting I found several washes that contained smaller gold nuggets and quartz/gold specimens. I realized by the nature of some of the gold that there just might be something lying above the dry washes. I started gridding below the small prospects and above where I found some of the placer gold. Using a systematic method I was able to locate several pounds of high-grade ore on the hills. This was one of the first times in my nuggethunting career that I was able to find something worthwhile out of the wash and much bigger in size.

Just goes to show, some of good locations just might have some goodies on the hillsides or benches.

Pictured below are a few shots of the ore I found. :D This area holds extremely high potential for rich hardrock and float.

Happy Nugget Hunting,

Rob Allison

• Admin

Hello Flak & Grubstake,

Ya, a nice truck load of this stuff would be nice! :D I know there is more and had plans to work the area this year. However, it always seems like I get side-tracked and never make it out to the location. The stuff is just shot full of gold, from one end to the other. I have several other small pieces like like the big ones. I also think there might be some pieces that a PI might not hear. Some might just have a few "blibs" of gold on them.

Take care,

Rob Allison

That will sure jump start the old heart. Those vlf detectors have their place. I have seen some nice course porous gold that didn't sound off on my 3500 like you would think for the size of gold. Go get em' Rob. I wish I had a spot like that. I would be there now. 6 Pack of beer, generator, 5 gallons of gas, and a vlf detector

-Joe

• Admin

Hello JoefortheGold,

I'm sure there are some pieces in this area that would be picked up by a PI, but most of the stuff will just scream on any detector. VLF detector without a doubt have their places, but the GP series are getting close when it comes to "solid" small gold. For some reason the PI's love the "solid" stuff, but when it comes to porous small gold, the PI can miss a lot. I've seen several porous pieces over a DWT in size that the PI's won't even hear with a small Mono coil. :(

Back to this area, the biggest piece, almost 10 ounces was found in a small wash almost two feet down. The smaller stuff from 2-3 ounces down was found on the hills and benches ... GO Figure! The theory of all the big gold is on the hills is not always true.

Hoping to someday get back to this location and spend some more time. I'm sure there are more pieces to be found. :)

Take care,

Rob Allison

• Admin

Hello Guys,

What I forgot to add was the fact someone found a huge piece here about 10 years ago with a VLF. From what I was told, it was about 250 ounces and very similar to what I found from what the person told me after I found mine. I would take a 250 ouncer! :huh:

Rob Allison

Hello Guys,

What I forgot to add was the fact someone found a huge piece here about 10 years ago with a VLF.  From what I was told, it was about 250 ounces and very similar to what I found from what the person told me after I found mine.  I would take a 250 ouncer!  :huh:

Rob Allison

Your so right Rob. 250 ounces would right nice on my mantle. I'm pretty sure that I've got some in my little valley. It's just making work real hard for it :lol:

Bob