Saturday's Short Hunt

• Admin

Hello All,

Today I had to work until 9am, but was able to get out for a short hunt. I met up with Leaverite after work and we headed into the Bradshaw Mountains to check a few spots out. The first location I never hunted before, but was always curious about. We spent a few hours there and I ended up scoring 3 small nuggets from the bedrock.

Later in the day we drove the quads to a second location, which was a high and dry placer. This spot didn't pan out, but sure looked good. I'm still amazed this spot didn't produce a nugget or two.

On the way out we hit a wash where I found 20-30 nuggets in the past. Within an hours time I scored 5 more nuggets. The last nugget was so deep in the solid bedrock I told Leaverite he could have it if he dug it out. I took some pictures of what the spot looked like before we started digging, and then after.

Overall we scored 8 Bradshaw nuggets (seven for me, one for Leaverite)! :P

Take a gander at the pictures below. Man, I'm tired and have more GP3500 field instructions tomorrow (Easter). :(

Take care,

Rob Allison

Your gona have to slow down alittle ROB, even Shep is having heart issues now, he had a treadmill test last week, and did not resolve anything, we went for a rainy day hunt today, we both got skunked, but coming down the hill, he was having chest pains, that sure sounds like heart problems to me, and I'm an expert, after 6 heart attacks. Life is short, slow down enjoy it, your young and I want you to get much older and Shep too! Take care Grubstake

• Admin

Hello Guys,

Joe - The nugget wasn't very big, but it was down 2-3 inches in solid bedrock. There was a small crevice, but we had to expand the bedrock outwards a few inches to get down in the crevice. I never weighed the nugget since Leaverite owns it now. I would say it was only 6-8 grains! :o Just remember, the GP series will those little ones deep and I have a "Tweeked" detector. :o Yes, Wallaby DD Pro located the nugget.

Mike C. & Flak - Thanks! ;)

29Prospector - I was actually pretty burned out that day and then had field instructions the following day. I was just glad to find a total of 10 nugget within the last couple of days out.

Take care,

Rob Allison

• Admin

Hello Uncle Ron,

I haven't even weighed them, but they are small nuggets. I doubt the biggest one would even go a Dwt. :( I might have a few Dwt's total with all the nuggets.

The topo map would be _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ . (Fill in the Blanks) :o Too easy ....

Take care,

Rob Allison

Rob

You hit that little guy right on the head, 6grain. (But we had to expand the bedrock outwards a few inches) Buddy, we were hard rock mining :lol: .

Here's one I got the day before,Friday :P it was also down a little crack that turned to stone (Those Walco picks can take some hark core abuse) notice the iron staining on this one. Friday must of been in the upper 90,s before the wind blew me back home so Guy's get out while the weather is good ;)

post-274-1145332138_thumb.jpg

• Admin

Hello Leaverite,

I figured it was 6-8 grains from the looks of it. I remember several years prior digging a nugget out like we did about the same size. It took me a good hour working it with just the pick. Its amazing how those nuggets work themselves so deep in the cracks.

Do you think the nugget is iron stained because it was formed within an iron section of a vein or do you think the bedrock stained it? I have found some of the darker bedrock to stain the nuggets just like yours in the past.

P.S. Did you ever go back and get the one you said you couldn't get out? :o

Talk with you soon,

Rob Allison

• Admin

Hello Harry,

On the GP3500 with the Coiltek Wallaby I will run "Sensitive/Normal" and in Fixed Ground Balance. I run the Signal dial about 3/4's. Sometimes I run the DD's in Mono mode or DD, just depends on the mineralization. The very small ones you have to pay attention. If you're looking for very small gold I prefer a smaller true mono such as the Coiltek Joey Mono or Minelab 8-inch Mono Round.

The areas I've been hunting recently are mild mineralization and fairly shallow.

Hope this helps,

Rob Allison