Mining can be dangerous business

Guest keninla

Guest keninla

It has been over 3 weeks now since I smashed heck out of my right index finger while dredging. It's finally starting to look like a finger again.

I was moving rocks while out dredging and one of them smashed down on my finger. Hurt like the dickins - I was dancing around yelling stuff about SUNNY BEACHES. :angry:

It swelled up about three times the size of normal- completely black and blue

After a week or so it got infected so I figured I should see a doctor- good thing too. He says if the infection went into the bone I could lose finger - not good.

the worst thing about it is it is my trigger finger.

It is interesting that when these things happen you really start to realize how your life could change over the loss of even one finger. :unsure:

Be careful out there-

• Admin

Hello keninla,

Sorry to hear about your finger, but glad you got it taken care of. Never let anything go, you just never know what might happen. Here is a short story below that I just heard today at work.

I work at a major Utility company in the valley and daily we deal with bad customers along with a lot of bad dogs! :( One of the service workers had to enter a customers yard and got bitten on the heal of the foot by a very small dog. The service person didn't think anything of it due to the size of the dog, just a small nip basically. About a week later the nip got infected (just like yours) and he was in the hospital for four days. There was talk he was going to possibly loose his foot over just a very minor dog bite. Due to the fact the service worker didn't report the injury, and didn't get the bit cleaned out, it got infected and he almost lost a foot over it!

Be safe out there,

Rob Allison

Yeh I did a dumb thing today myself, I was fixing my ngie cord, and was puting a hole in it {the shoulder strap} so I could rivite a D ring on it. Well I was using a Leatherman tool, the blades are really sharp, it slipped, I cut my middle{hand signaling finger all the way to the bone, just above the fingernail. I take blood thinners for my heart, thought I was never going to get it to stop bleeding. Tomarrow I have a monthly check up at the DR. Prob. going to put stiches in it, I would say about 10 maybe. what a dumb move. Grubstake

Grubstake After you go to the doctor he will probably wrap you hand and you will really be waving that finger around........becareful about saying hi to folks.....Sometimes in the heat of the moment things happen that are not good. I cut my thumb off in a millisecond and at first did no know it was gone, but, now Iam "Thumbthing Special" and don't have to do gardening since I lost my green thumb. Seriously hope you get it stitched up without problems. Jerry

Ken:

Were you dredging in clean water (where you could see the boulder) or were you working in muddy water (where you could not see the material and had to feel your way around)?

Rob:

I knew a guy who was playing around with his OWN DOG and the dog nipped him. It got infected and he did nothing about it and he did end up loosing his foot and a bit of his leg above the ankle.

Chris

Guest keninla
Ken:

Were you dredging in clean water (where you could see the boulder) or were you working in muddy water (where you could not see the material and had to feel your way around)?

Rob:

I knew a guy who was playing around with his OWN DOG and the dog nipped him. It got infected and he did nothing about it and he did end up loosing his foot and a bit of his leg above the ankle.

Chris

Chris,

I was working above water at the time. I was picking up large rocks with my left hand and bracing myself on a large boulder with my right hand. The rocks were too big to fit through the nozzle of my 4 in dredge. Most weighed several pounds each.

I would pick them up with left hand and place them out of the way on the other side of my right hand. I had moved many rocks when one slipped from my left hand and smashed my finger between the large rock and the boulder I was using as a brace for right hand. It was like having my finger on an anvil and wacking it with a large hammer. OUCH

All it takes is one mistake.

Ken