Moore Creek---- Coils

Rob,

The time to leave is almost upon us and I've been tossing around what I'm going to take in the way of coils. You know a lot about the Coiltec brand and I was wondering which sizes and configurations of coils that you would be taking.

Say hi to Rich and Glen when you see them, and I'll see you in passing in McGrath.

Good luck and leave a few for the rest of us,

Keith

I'm going to jump in on this one, even though I was not asked. I think a Platypus, since its wet up there and its water Proof and DD would be a good choise. + some otheres like a UFO coil and a Wallaby. A good pair of Neoprene waders, for fording creeks, and some good netting for the bugs, to cover yur face. Plenty of Deet bug spray. And a biGGGGG bottle to put them nuggets in! Ha! Ha! Grubstake

• Admin

Hello Mugsy (Keith),

The Coiltek coils I'm going to take are at least the Coiltek Wallaby DD Pro and possibly a Wallaby Mono. I have no interests in small gold, so I won't be taking a smaller searchcoil. I would recommend a coil you think you can swing all day. I know most can swing a Wallaby all day for the entire duration of the trip.

I know Steve H. uses the Coiltek UFO 24x12 Mono. However, he also stated the Mono's pick up some hot rocks. I know last year I might have dug 2-3 hot rocks the entire week with the Wallaby DD Pro. I'm still tossing the idea around of bringing a Mono coil.

Rich L. just wrote me an email. I will tell Glenn to leave you a few pieces of gold. :D I'm sure there will be plenty of gold found on all the weeks, just hoping we get the bulk of it in the first week. :rolleyes: Hehe... Just razzing you!

Talk with you soon,

Rob Allison

• Admin

Hello Steve,

I know I will be bring what worked the best last year, which is the Coiltek Wallaby DD Pro. This coil is such a hot seller it's on backorder again! :(

When you were using the Coiltek UFO, how many hot rocks were you picking up? Was it really bad, or just one here and there? I know a mono would get a bit more depth, but I don't want to digging hot rocks more often than gold nuggets! :D

Would like to hear more about the mono coil experiences at Moore Creek if you don't mind.

Talk with you soon,

Rob Allison

Hi Rob,

It was not bad. Just faint sounds, and the GP 3500 may do better with the monos. I did not get much detecting in last year I'm afraid. But I was not chasing faint sounds at the time. Either is just was an obvious signal or I ignored it. I was not doing "get down and dirty" detecting with the UFO. Just going for the easy pickings.

I tried to run the Minelab 18" Mono Commander last year and it was rather noisy with the hot rocks.

Steve Herschbach

• Admin

Hello Steve,

Curious if you ever tried running the Coiltek UFO or Minelab Commander 18-inch round mono in "Tracking" mode? Sometimes those faint (no metallic) targets will just fade away if they are faint. Was considering using the tracking mode, but I really don't care for it much. I hate the constant background noise you get from the tracking mode. I've always been a "Fixed" hunter, so when it comes to tracking it takes some adjustment.

I think most will be taking DD's to be safe. I've been telling everyone the Wallaby DD Pro is a very safe choice and you will find deep gold with it. I know Glenn, Rich L., and I did well with them up there. I think we found about 20 ounces combined with the Wallaby DD Pro at Moore Creek. :o

Talk with you soon,

Rob Allison

Hi Rob,

Well, as I said earlier I think DD is the best bet for Moore Creek. But my UFO coil has found almost 4 pounds of gold or gold specimens at Moore Creek, either by myself or when I loaned it to others. So I would not write mono coils off either. The new tracking modes on the GP 3500 might be the answer. When I was in my quest with the UFO I ran tracking as it was smoother. And again, I was not after tiny or deep fringe targets at the time.

What little GP detecting I did last summer I slowed way the heck down and used DD coils. I spent more actual time running the Gold Bug 2 than I did running my GP. Just too darn busy! I have to say I seemed able to find gold with the Gold Bug 2 in fairly short order last summer and it sure is no depth demon. The trick for me, as always, is more about getting over the nugget than anything else.

I hate to say it but I'm more interested in the dredging possibilities at Moore Creek this summer. I've done enough detecting the last few years that it has lost a bit of the challenge. Not saying I've lost interest in it, but right this moment trying to find that magic spot at Moore Creek that will pay well with a dredge has me more intrigued. So I'll be putting more effort into that end of it than detecting this summer.

I got a 27" x 21" DD Coiltek Bonzer last year for use up on the hill that I did use to find a few nuggets last fall at Moore Creek after you all left. It was extremely smooth and found me several ounces of specimens, including a few that I'm betting others had been over. But it wore me out worse than any coil I ever used, and after carefully working one tailing pile I was so wore out I literally could not move the coil any more. I was considering getting a mothership to use as a pull-behind coil on the hill but have cheaped out and will rig the Bonzer up instead for that use. Time is my biggest problem this summer and so I may not get much time for that type of prospecting at this point anyway. Given enough time I thnk there are very good possibilities in Alaska for prospecting the high country with large coils.

Steve Herschbach