ICMJ Article

Reno Chris

That's a great article you have written in the ICMJ on Moore Creek.You got the point of view of nugget hunter,prospector,miner and Mining Engineer.

So everybody if you don't have a copy of the Mag. then you need to get one.

Its in the Aug. issue and it starts on page 13.

Chuck

This week is Hot August Nights in Reno (An old car celebration) - so I am out with my 1936 Chevy rather than my detector. Then the next week I'll be heading down to LA to visit reletives. However, the week after that I'll be headed up to Sierra City to do some prospecting with my detector.

Chris

• Admin

Hello Guys,

I also received the International California Mining Journal (ICMJ) yesterday and read the Moore Creek article written by Chris Ralph. I guess everyone was mentioned besides me in the article ... Oh, I see since I only found a few ounces I'm the Black Sheep! Just kidding, great article on Moore Creek and should get some people fired up about next year.

I'm just debating if I'm going to do another Alaska trip or maybe a week or so toward Northen Nevada or such.

Take care,

Rob Allison

Chris... Great article.

However... 1936 Chevy!!! My first Chevy was a 1925. Then I had two

1936 Chevys. The first one I got for $5.00 in 1950. It cost me $12.00

every six months for State Farm insurance.

It was a tudor master... needed new knee action. I went down the road

like a bouncing ball. The second one was also a tudor but a standard.

For this one I paid $10.00. It was a great car. I was able to climb high

up Peavine. Also push carefully through the drifts to Virginia City in the

dead of winter when the highway was officially closed.

In 1957... after I was released from active duty. I went to

Richardson-Lovelock in Reno and bought a 1954 210 for $860. I bought it

for Gloria as I only "car" was a Dodge pickup.

The Chevy had 42000 on the odometer. I finally sold it in 1974. Really

beat up... Then about 10 years ago, Gloria spotted a 1954 Belaire.

We bought it... It sits in our driveway. Old cars can really be fun.

Hello Rob... It is a big change to go from Arizona to Alaska. It takes several or

more days to get adjusted to gold hunting in the Alaska terrain. It would be

better to spend two or three weeks.

As I write this there are two very experienced Alaskan hunters at Moore.

Their first names are "Jack" and "Ray." Another one, "Joe" was recently at

Ganes. They know the "drill." I hope they did well. However, there is much more

to Alaska then the lure of "gold."

• Admin

Hello Dutch John, :o

I agree the Alaska hunting is much different than lower desert hunting. I pretty much know the drill, but when I get up there I spend more time BSing, taking pictures and enjoying the Alaskan Outback. I always seem so pressured when I go just one week.

Alaska is a beautiful place for all the people that haven't seen it.

Take care,

Rob Allison

Rob:

I was saving doing any stuff on you so that when you come up to Northern Nevada / Northern California next year I'd be all set up to do a whole article just about you! "Mr. Allison, the camera is waiting for your close up"

Just kidding, although I really do think you'd make an interesting article. Let me know when you want to head up this way and we'll get things all set up. Besides, a couple ouces is still a couple ounces better than than I did.

Jim:

Here's my 1936 Chevy pick up. I bought it in only pices - doors, fenders, hood, a pick up bed, a grill, an axle and no engine or transmission. It took nearly 10 years to get it assembled, painted and on the road working part time in the evenings. It has a number of the original gear, but I dumped the "knee action" shocks.

I agree that it does take a bit to figure out the different hunting techniques for Alaska.

Chris

post-9-1154583792_thumb.jpg

• Admin

Hello Chris,

I was just razzing you a bit. :D I really enjoyed your company at Moore Creek this year. Not sure what is on the plate for next season, but I'm sure you're getting some of the emails about possible plans to Alaska again. Let me know if you're not.

I'm seriously thinking about a trip up to Northern Nevada again, something different than Alaska.

Talk with you soon,

Rob Allison

Hi Rob:

In all honesty, I dont think I'll be heading back to Alaska next year. I had a great time and I'm sure I'll be going again in the future, but not every year and not likely for next year. Maybe when I am retired I'll go every year.....

I had a great time at Moore Creek and I appreciate that you invited me to join in with your group. If you decide to go with Northern Nevada or Northern California next year do let me know. I'd be interested in getting together with you and I'll even show you a few good spots. :D

Chris