New Boots

Well after three years and a whole bunch of shoe goop, I finally ordered a pair of Doc's new waterproof Bates boots, I got them today. they are outstanding, fit like a glove, Doc has them on sale so Take a look. Good boots are good gor your feet, and these are no metal just like the last one.s, a little different sole and more leather. Fiberglass shank. And since winter is coming I'm glad there waterproof. A must have. Grubstake PS Rob, you know you would have had the order, but like you said before when it comes to boots, DOC carries more in stock size's.

• Admin

Hello Grubstake,

I would prefer people to order the boots directly from Doc. I don't stock the Bates boots, but they are the best "No Metal" detecting boots around in my opinion. I have went through about 4 pairs of them in the last 3-4 years. One pair will normally last the entire season. I like the new Black Waterproof ones. :D

Take care,

Rob Allison

Here's the boot everyone is talking about. These are by far the best no metal boot out there.

And they are waterproof. BIG DEAL, who cares, you detect in the desert right ? WELL YOU SHOULD CARE !

Because guess what? If they are waterproof, they are dirt proof ! That's right! Do you like to kick dirt like I do? Well kick away because you will never get a bit of dirt in these boots, nor a little piece of gravel, it just will not happen. These boots have a fully gussetted tongue. Nothing can get in.

OK, here was the challenge to findng a good waterproof boot. When you find waterproof boots, they are always insulated too. Well one thing you don't need in the desert when it is 112 degrees, is an insulated boot.

Well these boots ARE DIRT PROOF but they ARE NOT insulated.

All the hardware on these boots, eyelets etc. are non-metal composite material.

Now when you order these I need four things!

1. The size you think you need !

2. How long your foot is when standing on a ruler in your stocking foot. HEEL TO TOE. (VERY IMPORTANT!)

3. How wide is your foot in inches at the widest part.

4. Measure the bottom of the sole of a shoe that fits you well and tell me how long it is from heel to toe.

THIS is very important information to fit you precisely.

FOR example, Grubstake said, I take a 10 WIDE DOC.

Yeah, well we will see. After getting his measurements, in this boot, I determined he actually would take a 10.5 WIDE.

I normally take a 10, in this boot I took a 9.5.

You just can't tell by shoe size alone. The only way I know I can fit you perfectly is with these 4 bits of information above.

AND SOMETHING ELSE ABOUT THESE BOOTS. There is virtually no break in. First time out with mine I wore them 10 hours. They feel like a tennis shoe.

Take care!

DOC

PS: Sizes 7 to 15 and wides. Whole sizes only from 12 up. Also I have women's sizes available on special order only. I have all men's sizes in stock for immediate shipment. Order today, and with Priority Mail they will be on your doorstep the day after tomorrow.

I sell these boots for $79.95, plus shipping, I think the retail is $109.95. Trust me, this is an item I carry for the conveniece of prospectors only. I have over 200 pairs in stock at all time, and that is one heck of a lot of money tied up in inventory. $16,000 !! There has been more than once that I have thought about ordering about 20 pairs of size 9.5 for myself, and getting out of the boot business, because there is no getting rich selling boots. Or selling anything that involves sizes for that matter.

Just think of it, Sizes, 7, 7.5, 8, 8.5, 9, 9.5, 10, 10.5, 11, 11.5, 12, 13, 14, 15

Now think of all those sizes in wide too. THAT's 28 sizes ! And I carry usually 3 of the unpopular sizes and 10 to 15 pairs of the popluar sizes.

The only think that could be worse is if they came in different colors too! ARG ! I don't see how companies that sell women's shoes stay in business, all those styles, all those sizes, all those colors.

What am I saying? I forgot, that most women are probably like my wife, they find a shoe they like and they buy it in every color. She told me tonight that she saw a little silver slipper made by someone called Sue London in a magazine. She said look them up for me on the internet, they are called Sue London foldable leather slipper. How expensive could a slipper be? One that is so flimsy that you can fold it no less ! Well I found it, they are only $120! HOLY CRAP ! They aren't even waterproof. However, they don't look like they have any metal in them.

Yes they have them in desert tan, I ordered a ton of them in, they told me they were exactly like the boot I currently carry. WELL I got them in, and they are not the same. They are not gussetted at the tongue and this lets dirt into the boot.

I just won't sell them, the fact is, I wear the black in 117 degree heat, and as long as I am finding gold, I don't even notice the heat. I would like them in desert tan, but if my choice is gussetted tongue or tan boots, I will take the gussetted tongue everytime.

Take care!

DOC

Hi all,

As always, Doc is right on the money on this one..the first thing I check for

when shopping for boots is the fully gusseted tongue.

I hate having to take off my boots to dump out sand grit, weeds,

that seems to find its way into non-gusseted tongue boots.

Next thing I check is what type of arch the boots have,

for some reason, most of the non-metalic boots I have bought

have iffy arches. I know you can buy after market stuff,

pair of arch inserts, to about $200.00, but they never seem

to work as well as a boot with a good built in arch.

The next thing Doc needs to invent, is a device to keep

the foxtails from getting into the little crevices in your

lace type boot. I have seen guys make a pretty good

one out of a plastic milk or pop bottle plastic, or just use

duct tape, which works pretty well.

The Mrs. and I have pretty much decided to put up our place

for sale and move somewhere, so if you guys have a place

we can hang out for a while, (homeless) let me know. :unsure:

Fortunately, I have a little r.v. we can live in, so we may show

up at John B's or Docs place and plug in there. :lol:

Well, I have wandered enough for now.

~LARGO~

Largo, after wearing the boots for two days now, it seems to be fine on the arch support. They feel really good, I have a high arch and instep. I'll let you know how they do in the field Sat. If Shep would get a pair, he could tromp more brush down for us, he normally wears a size 14. He would be much taller if there was not so much of him turned under. Ha! Ha! Grubstake :lol::lol:

So Shep is the one responsible for all those people that have reported seeing a big footed creature out in the wild!

BIG is that 15 Wide I carry. I'm going to mount a motor on one and take it out to Lake Mead for a spin.

DOC

• Admin

Hello Doc and All,

There is no beating the Black Waterproof Bates Boots. If you're going to spend $3,000 - $4,000 on detector gear you better invest in a high quality hiking boot like the Bates. You're going to spend a lot of time hiking, climbing and roaming around on your feet you need to seriously consider the Bates. Some of the advantages of them are they are very lightweight, good traction pattern, comfortable, no metal, great ankle support and are 100% waterproof.

I've seen guys purchasing the generic ones on different sites, but they are nothing like the original Bates.

Anyone interesting in purchase a pair should contact Doc, but tell him I sent you! ;)

Take care,

Rob Allison

Dave look at the sole pattern of the picture I posted above. They have cleats type bttoms, almost like soccer cleats only deeper. They are fantastic, I have never fallen from my boots slipping out from under me. I've tripped over myself, but never a slip.

DOC

Dave look at the sole pattern of the picture I posted above. They have cleats type bttoms, almost like soccer cleats only deeper. They are fantastic, I have never fallen from my boots slipping out from under me. I've tripped over myself, but never a slip.

DOC

thanks Doc

Has anyone used these for rugged hiking? Like climbing up the side of a mountain? I realize you hike a bit when detecting, but I hike all over the Superstitions.

Also, are they "rattlesnake proof" on the uppers? If a snake tried to bit me above the ankle, would the boot stop it?

I love the bottoms. I buy all my shoes/hiking boots like that. Helps a lot when walking up or down the side of a rock/bedrock, especially at very steep angles.

• Admin

Hello Randy,

I've hiked just about every gold bearing Mountain range in Arizona with the Bates boots. They are excellent for hiking and have great traction. The boots are not snake proof, but if you wear the Snake Gaiters & Bates Boots in combination you're covered! I pretty much wear the Snake Gaiters year round (Summer and Winter). I always have the Gaiters in stock, but if you order the boots from Doc it's just as easy to get the Gaiters on the same order if you decide on them.

Most of the "Snake Proof" boots I've seen are very heavy, uncomfortable, poor traction and are very expensive (as much as $250). :( A good friend that just recently got into detecting purchase a pair of the snake proof boots from Sportsman Warehouse. He said they are the most uncomfortable boots he has ever owned. He also mentioned they don't breath, so they were very hot to wear especially during the summer months. Since he wore them once, he wasn't able to return them ...

Hope this helps a bit,

Rob Allison

Randy, there pretty thick uppers, but I still wear snake gaitors, I have a heart condition and take blood thinners, I would hate to get nailed by a snake, I would bleed to death in a short time. They are not advertised as snake proof, and I would not want to be the one to test them, for sure. Grubstake

They are not advertised as snake proof, and I would not want to be the one to test them, for sure. Grubstake

I'll give you $5!!!

:lol::lol:

Thanks grub and Rob. I think I'm gonna get a pair soon. I need new hiking boots, and comfort/light weight is highly important. Never gonna find that Lost Dutchman mine dragging a$$ :D