COILTEK MANUFACTURING's New Look

post-218-1196394377_thumb.jpg

THE NEW LOOK

On July 1st 2007 Coiltek took on a new owner who intends to continue to bring outstanding products and service to the industry with his knowledge and passion to succeed. As you can see by our new logo we are excited and looking forward to providing the industry with new products and services.

Trevor Ferraresso has been in the industry for 10 years and has learned through working for Minelab and Coiltek with John Kah and John Gladdis as his mentors. Now having the opportunity to apply his ability, he intends to ensure a prosperous future for the industry, company and particularly providing personal assistance to the prospector.

Now called Coiltek Manufacturing, new products are released and being developed with an intensive research and development schedule and a strategic plan which will see new products and opportunities for years to come.

With the Australian market continuing to grow in the hobby and professional prospecting fields and a continued growth in the Mining industries there will be vast opportunities for Coiltek Manufacturing to grow. There are also excellent opportunities within the overseas markets as more and more European countries are experiencing relaxed laws and regulations regarding metal detecting which in turn provides extended markets and increased sales.

Coiltek Manufacturing’s ability to produce large volumes of product provides a service which is second to none and its experienced staff and vital facilities can ensure prompt service and outstanding quality.

For 20 years Coiltek has lead the way in the prospecting industry for accessories to suit Metal Detectors. This has provided the prospector with increased performance and opportunity and over this time has helped find countless kilograms of Gold, Relics and Coins around the globe.

Also, if you wish to be placed on our email mailing list go to www.coiltekmanufacturing.com.au and fill out the message for with 'add me to the list'

Miner Matt

I ran the Elliptical Wallaby Mono on my GP3500 and had great luck with it. I'm sure you can do better than I on the GPX4000 being I had no problem. Alot of people over look the Wallaby Mono and get the DD thinking it's the better way to go. I didn't find the mono coil to be troublesome in noise are ground balancing but it did find some nice gold for me.

Chuck Anders

I have a small suggestion that if fulfilled would eliminate any apprehension I would have about buying a certain Coiltek coil.

The UFO only has a single sided lower rod attachment point which since two sides don't even eliminate coil droop there is no way a single side will be enough to hold such a giant coil... A double shear attachment point would have me buying that coin in a second...

Another thing is, I own 3 Coiltek coils for my Explorer and the shear/attachment point i'm talking about is in the shape of a V so when I tighten the coil on to the rod it bends the nylon bolt and the coil flops around even if the nut is tightened...

I know it is small but having control over the coil and not feeling like it is going to break the bolt or never stop moving is not really something I want to deal with when i'm trying to detect...

I love my Joey for demos and the Platy for trashy spots where I still need depth, the Joey is cool, the Platy has the V issue and so does my WOT. The Joey I have for my GPX is fine too...

Sorry for the gripe but I would buy more if the little things were cleaned up a bit...

HH

JW

Hi JW,

I appreciate your comments.

We found when we made the UFO coil with a 2 wing design it was difficult to get the coil to sit straight and we had more problems with that version. However, i do hope you reconsider trying the coil as the single wing has proven to be quite successful. With the larger 8mm bolt through the mounting section it provide a stronger 'grab' on the shaft for less 'flop' if you know what i mean :P

When you say 'V' are you talking about between the wings or the actual wings?

Thanks

Trevor

Trevor, frist I must say I love my coiltek coils.

The UFO I'm not to happy with.The single ear design comes lose alot I have to retighten the wing nut often.

I'm allways afraid of breaking the coil off of the shaft or breaking the shaft itself.

We detect in the brush more than out of the brush and it is very rough on the coils and shafts.

Other than that I thank you,Matt

Hi Trevor,

While we have your ear, I would like to say how much I have enjoyed using the Coiltek coils over the years, and now my latest coil is the new Platypus mono, which found me a nice nugget on its first time out!

I have an observation to share, regarding my Platypus coils, but it could apply to other more recent Coiltek coils, but this is my experience.

It used to be that when we bought a Coiltek coil, that we received a lower rod as well, as the space between the "ears" of the Coiltek, and those of the Minelab were different dimensions between the ears and probably the reason for the lower rod being included with the Coiltek coil.

Now I am speaking from my experience, and am not painting with a large brush...

The Platypus coils now have a wide space between the ears, which neither fits the old Coiltek lower rod, nor the Minelab lower rod, without adding a spacer to allow the coil to be held firmly in place, without undo stress that might be placed on it if there were no spacer. This extra space, about 1/8" may be all right in the warmer climes, but in the colder northern areas, the coils plastic around the ears would possibly fracture, if the ears were tightened without adding the spacer. Not a big deal, mind you, but it is an observation that I have wondered about, as I would hate to assume that the coil would NOT break when it was cold, then have to explain that to the rep in sunny, warm Arizona...

Thanks for your comments!

~LARGO~

Yes I had the same problem, with the mono platypus, the DD is ok, but the mono seems to be wider, I cut a part of an old inner tube and used it. Even with the ottto shafts, there is a wide gap. But I love that coil, so I just came up with my own fix. Grubstake

• Admin

Hello All,

I would first like to say "Thanks" for all the comments and suggestions. This is just what Trev @ Coiltek needs. The more suggestions we can give, the better the Coiltek products will be in the near future.

I also didn't care for the single side shaft mounting on the UFO coils.

Trev - Since I was able to use the Coiltek Platypus Mono Searchcoil and search through the water, I ended up with a nice 8.6 Dwt gold nugget today. The water was about 5 inches deep and I wouldn't have found it within this coil. The waterproof coils are great! ;)

Take care,

Rob Allison

I'm also with Rob on the waterproof thing.If it isn't waterproof I have a hard time bying it.

When you detect were I live there is no telling were the day might take you so you take with you the things that give you the most versatility.Waterproof coil is the way to go.

Thanks again,Matt

Hi JW,

I appreciate your comments.

We found when we made the UFO coil with a 2 wing design it was difficult to get the coil to sit straight and we had more problems with that version. However, i do hope you reconsider trying the coil as the single wing has proven to be quite successful. With the larger 8mm bolt through the mounting section it provide a stronger 'grab' on the shaft for less 'flop' if you know what i mean :P

When you say 'V' are you talking about between the wings or the actual wings?

Thanks

Trevor

It is between and the outside shape of the wings... I made a quick sketch but I will take some photos tonight... Largo is talking about the same issue but even with spacers the angle of the wings makes the spacers have to be tapered to not bend the nylon bolt when tightened.

Understand I like to hunt with my coils finger tight, no flopping but with some slight pressure I can change the angle of the coil to the ground, I don't hunt with the coil fixed at a pre chosen angle, so i'm not tightening the nylon bolt down with great force, just enough to hold the coil snug in the wings...

I guess i'm not the only one who has come across this and I understand you did not create the problem but if you fix it your a great man in my eyes!! ;)

Trevor, thanks for listening and taking the time to reply, I really like your coils so these are little things really, but a slight manufacturing change may net more coils sold to me! ;) And others I would imagine...

post-4073-1196712166_thumb.jpg

Dear Trevor;

I love my Platypus coil also! The only bad things that I can say about the Platy coil is that I don't use it enough :unsure: and when I do use it in water, afterwards I need to separate the skid plate from the coil to remove all of the accumulated water, or the coil will become noisy when used on land. Is there any way to keep from removing the skid so often?

Your friend;

LAMAR

Thanks JW,

Things will definitely improve as we get more time spent on the moulds and refine areas such as the shaft mounting areas. My intention is to revisit each coil and see where improvements to functionality can occur and then do it! The main reason for the large angle initially was for vacuum forming. You successfully get the plastic off the mould you need a negative draft when you have vertical flats. I believe the Platypus over excentuated this draft on the wings. Glad to hear the coil is performing well in the US.

Hey Lamar,

The solid epoxy filled coils are extremely robust and durable. Therefore I have no hesitation to suggest you remove the skid when on sand or in water. This will minimise the drag and/or catchment of sand/water in the skid. I would suggest using a skid in rocky terrain where Quartz and sharp rocks can wear the coils edges more but soft sand and water are not a problem. The other suggestion is to run some silicone around the skids edges where it touches the coil. This could reduce the amount of water/sand getting inbetween the skid and coil.

I hope this helps and thanks for the queries.

Trev

I hear you on the pains of draft in plastics, I designed a few small injection moulded parts for computer mice, the part was somewhat simple but it was more than a hemisphere so that meant break apart top and bottom molds with movable side parts as well... One at a time would have been easy but we had to make a dozen per injection shot... Shape of the part was not alterable so I had to design the molds around the part, no fun at all and about 50k for the just tooling alone, no engineering or materials...

I think I have the same issue as Lamar, not enough use of my coils!!!

BTW the Joey for the Explorer is THE demo searching coil, narrow but deep to cover ground and separate trash from the good stuff, tooling around with a 5" round is no fun when the site is 5000+ square feet! Got the DD for my GPX too, now I need the mono... :D

HH

JW