550 Miles, No Headphones & Crappy Weather

• Admin

Hello All,

Early Friday morning Leaverite and I headed for the higher country to try our luck and some nugget hunting for a couple of days. It took us every bit of 3 to 3.5 hours to get to the hunting location. After we arrived and talked about our game plan, we started to get all the detectors and gear out and ready. We both were just about ready to walk off and start hunting when I realized I didn't have any headphones! Normally, I have at least two pairs of headphones, but this time I left them both at home. I couldn't believe this, such a long haul and I forgot such an important piece of gear. Leaverite only had one pair of headphones, so I was pretty much out of luck with the Minelab. I was a bit discouraged and thought how I could rig the Minelab up, but I was pretty much out of luck.

After some thought, I decided I would drive back 100 miles to the nearest town and find a Radio Shack. I was able to find one and purchased a pair of Koss-UR40 Titanium Headphones. Although these were nothing like my DetectorPro Back Widow's, they were better than nothing. After about an hour or so I arrived back to the hunting location to realize the clouds were really building up.

I got to hunt for about an hour before the Thunderheads started dropping rain and the Lightning was make the Minelab's go nuts with the EMI Interference. Several times the rain just dumped, but we both continued to hunt hard trying to find a nugget.

The Monsoon Storm continued to build and drop big cells of rain all around us. The washes even started to run, so we decided it was time to pack it up and head home.

The moral of this story was I drove over 550 miles round trip, two tanks of gas, no headphones and crappy weather, but it was better than sitting home! Before you leave for your next prospecting adventure, make sure you have a check list of all your prospecting and camping items. :wacko:

Take care,

Rob Allison

Morning ALL: Rob that sure must have been a bummer for you! :o Leaving home without a set of headphones is not something I have to worry about because I use the twin external speakers like Montana Bob Dansie came up with. Some people may not like the idea of an external speaker since its signal can be heard by others working nearby. Also, depending on which vehicle I use I may have a set of headphones just in case.

Don

Don, those speaker may be ok in the desert, where you can get far away from them, But we sure don't like them up here, there a big pain in the A** as far as I'm concerned, and the guys I hunt with, all you can here is someone else's detectors, WEE-WOO, WOO-WEE. then you yell out please dig the damned target. Those speakers break your consentration on tring to dig your own targets. I hate to hunt with someone that has them. Grubstake

Rob, you might consider a pair of in/over the ear 15 dollar Sony type earphones for spares...i have had those forgot or got broke experiences and these can save the day for only a few bucks...don't forget the 1/8 to 1/4 stero adaptors if you get some...

Fred

Yep, been there, done that too!

Except in my case, I forgot the detector box! I have the box separate from everything since I have it chest mounted. I had everything else, but no detector.

And this same thing happened to my hunting buddy earlier this year. He brought everything only to realise as we were gearing up that he had forgotten his whole detector! He drove back to town, called his wife, and she drove an hour and a half to bring it to him. He met her half way. While waiting, all he could do was dig the targets I got. Wasted half a day not to mention a tank of gas.

Digger