Survived the annual Prospecting trip

I've been back a few days now, recuperating these old bones. My son and I managed very little prospecting, just completing the trip was the biggest challenge.

Day one we drove from San Diego to Dutch Flat, CA. We met a friend to arrange drop off and vehicle shuttle. After a 9 hr drive, we started down the Green Valley Trail to the N. Fork American River. The trail is not maintained, rough going all the way down. Roughly 3 miles, 2000 ft elevation drop. I missed a fork at the bottom and we ended up too far upstream of the more productive gold areas.

After arriving at the river we did a little scouting and discovered a holed whitewater kayak abandoned at the highwater mark. (We later learned more about its origin). We carried it back to our camp and contemplated a patch. The hole was about 10" diameter center of the bottom, right under the seat. Considering our limited equipment and supplies we made a pretty good go of it. We cut the side out of a plastic bucket big enough to cover the hole. We slid it that under the seat which gave it decent support. We then used strips of plastic bucket and melted them over the edges, sort of like welding with plastic. It wasn't completely waterproof, but passable.

The water level was really low. We split up the gear between a small inflatible raft and the new kayak and started downstream the next morning. We managed less than a mile before the kayak started to leak too much. Found a nice gravel bar and set up camp for more kayak repairs. This scenario would be repeated everyday and sometimes twice a day, the patch kept cracking and now our egos wouldn't let us abandon our salvage operation.

We were so tired from dragging, pulling, carrying and very rarely floating down this river, we just didn't get around to much prospecting.

Day 3 of the trip we had an interesting encounter. We had hauled out on a shingle beach to rest at midday. I found a nice depression under a huge boulder for shade and layed down. My son was about 10 ft away under some scrub oaks. I was barely dozing when I heard him softly saying "dad, there's a bear". I crawled out expecting to see him looking off in the distance. Where I asked, he pointed right there. Holy crap, that bear was 25 yds away coming down the embankment right towards us. I started yelling at it and throwing rocks. Just then 2 little cubs scrambled out of the brush, uh oh I thought, this might get ugly. One of the cubs got scared and climbed 30 ft up a pine tree nearby. The sow stopped and just watched us for about a minute then ambled off into the woods. The cub climbed down, got scared again and took off up another tree. He was up there calling for his mother, but she and the other cub just left him there. He finally crawled down and took off bawling into the woods.

The next day we met a prospector who had hiked in a long way. He was local and told us the story of the kayak and its not so bright previous owner. Apparently, several guys decided to kayak the river last spring. This one guy's boat was obviously worn thin and he holed it no more than 2 miles into the trip. The friends told him to wait there and they would send help once they paddled on through, an all day event. They sent a search team to look for him, but naturally, he had wondered off. I guess he spent an unpleasant night in the woods and was rescued the next day. No way for them to get the kayak out of there, so now its been salvaged by yours truely. Several miles further downstream we found a practically brand new carbon fibre kayak paddle.

Day 4 we almost had to abandon the salvage. We were using 20ft of rope to guide the boats down a set of shallow rapids. As the kayak near the bottom my son let go of the rope thinking the kayak would float on through. Not quite. A boulder at the bottom of the rapids caused the kayak to broach. The current and water pressure sucked that kayak right under the boulder and pinned it there. We couldn't budge it from either end and I had some concern that one of us might get sucked under chest deep water. I eventually found a spot where I could brace my two feet against underwater rocks, then using my legs for pushing power I was just able to wiggle the bow of the kayak. With my son pulling on the rope and me powering the bow upwards, we were able to break the pressure just enough to slide that mother off. Of course the process ruined our patch and we had to start all over again. Nevertheless, we were not to be deterred.

We spent 5 days busting our humps down that river. It was arduous to say the least, but a nice week all in all. Only minor injuries. Sure makes you appreciate a comfortable bed and good food afterwards. I took the kayak to a plastics place here in town. For 200 bucks they will make a proper weld and brace the whole bottom. I looked online, the kayak paddle alone sells for $475.00 new.

No gold, but a memorable trip for a man and his son. Can hardly wait till next year.

Stephen

Steve

Great story, sounds like a good time regardless of little prospecting. Just curious but where is the trailhead for the green valley trail. It sounds like it would be a good hike. I've never been to that part of the river and am looking for new places to go prospecting. From your story it sounds like its a least a couple of days for the trip.

Take care, Wes

Steve

Great story, sounds like a good time regardless of little prospecting. Just curious but where is the trailhead for the green valley trail. It sounds like it would be a good hike. I've never been to that part of the river and am looking for new places to go prospecting. From your story it sounds like its a least a couple of days for the trip.

Take care, Wes

It's off I-80 near Goldrun. They have put in a decent parking area, but the trail sucks. Long, hot climb down. Lot's of old hydralic tailings in the bottom. Historically there was an entire community down there during the goldrush, I've heard over 2000 people at the peak. It's been said that part of the Donner party hiked through there looking for help. The gravels are old cemented glacial till. I've detected it in the past to no avail. Lots of old nails and trash. If I lived closer I take another run at it just to detect the valley. Good place to look for artifacts if you're in to that. Give me a pm if you want more.

Stephen

Great story. It brought back some memories .

I remember when i read your post working up to this trip. I know that area pretty well. I have dragged sluices and shovels as tall as me as a kid in that canyon. I still get out there these days. Pickering bar, outside Colfax, below Dutch Flat and Gold Run. There are great areas out there but they are worked hard. You have the right idea by floating down that stretch to the deep canyon. The gold still runs fresh every year down there, for those willing to make the trip. It sounds like you hand your hands full though.

If you had more time you may have been able to prospect a bit more ? Maybe a 30 day trip ! ? :rolleyes:

There are some real nice detecting spots around 'You Bet" and 'Red Dog' , in and around the "Brady Canyon" property.

Next year sounds like a good one.

Cheers , John